WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

When my wife was pregnant with my first son her doctor told us to eat “nothing from a box” to keep the sodium down. And now 14 years later we still make it all from scratch. But, not I either, technically.

Images

Thanks for the idea! I prefer to freezer bag cook and I'm guessing this wouldn't be a FBC friendly recipe (from the cooking instructions see below) but maybe I can figure a way to work this into my backpacking dinner rotation. Anyway thanks again!
    With my Fancee Feest stove and simmer ring I cook the beans and rice while I munch on the summer sausage and enjoy the sights and sounds of nature. Never in a hurry.

https://zelphsstoveworks.com/fancee-...immer-ring.php

Registered User Phoenixfyrebird's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I have really embraced the versatility of different bread types on the trail. I'm Irish and adore traditional soda bread, or fruit soda bread. I never found a decent enough recipe nor could I quite nail down my grandmother's ratio of raisins, dates, and golden raisins in the fruit version. However, I will happily continue trying because it is quite tasty, and makes for an energizing breakfast with honey or a walking snack!

Default Red Beans and Rice

A pot of 8oz Zatarins is a huge meal but one of my favorites. Add some dried habanero (never again) and you will sweat all the salt out. It makes "4.5 cups" I use a 1 liter pot and for me it the same as eating 2 Lipton Dinners. A half box may be good for most.

Salt amount

Zatarins 620 mg per 50g serving x 5 servings
    Lundberg (organic) 500 mg per 56g x3 serving is similar flavor
    Goyo has low sodium version 135 mg per 45g serving x5 never tried and has may have more added junk.

When thru hiking say 20 miles per hiking day I don't worry about too much salt

Most package rice dishes have uncooked rice hence the long cooking times.

Default Pasta and Spaghetti sauce.

Make fruit leather from your favorite jar of spaghetti. Toss in with pasta and meat if desired

Add your own fat drained dehydrated hamburger or just add a refrigerated smoked sausage

I do struggle sometimes getting all the leather to dissolve. Fyi This cooked, I've never done boil in a bag.

Btw I always carry mashed potatoes to adjust for too soupy dishes.

I second the beans and rice. I cook in my pot (bring to boil for a few seconds, and then let set in a pot cozy 15 to 20 min. I think that technique gives you more options than FBC. Raw red lentils and basmati rice can be cooked this way (I cook them with curry, salt, and olive oil).

On the other hand, there is one food I find does better without boiling. I've heard that the most common thing to find in hiker boxes is instant oatmeal packages. It seems lots of people think oatmeal for breakfast sounds like a good idea, but after a few days, not so much. I agree that those instant oatmeal packs are vial. But I've grown to like real oatmeal when done right. The problem with oatmeal is once boiled, the starch dissolves. And when it cools (which it will at camp) it sets up like glue. That gummy texture withe the artificial flavors is the downfall of instant oatmeal. Then there is the clean up issue. What I now do for breakfast niw is this. Boil enough water for one serving of coffee and oatmeal. Make the coffee (instant) in a cup. For the oatmeal, but some old fashioned oats ( not quick) in a bowl, add brown sugar (or maple sugar), and cinnamon (these can be premixed in baggies at home - just experiment to suit your tastes), add boiling water to get desired texture. The effect is a bit different from traditional oatmeal, but I like it much better. Clean up is trivial as the unboiled oats don't set up like glue. I had abandoned hot breakfasts until I found this hack.

I watched someone cook jalapeno peppers on a campfire. I like prepared foods better for myself. I tend to like to eat immediately after finishing my miles for the day. I eat a lot of Lipton Soup packets and Oatmeal.

Could not be any easier to eat dehydrated refried beans or good ol cous cous.

Registered User Phoenixfyrebird's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixfyrebird View Post
    I have really embraced the versatility of different bread types on the trail. I'm Irish and adore traditional soda bread, or fruit soda bread. I never found a decent enough recipe nor could I quite nail down my grandmother's ratio of raisins, dates, and golden raisins in the fruit version. However, I will happily continue trying because it is quite tasty, and makes for an energizing breakfast with honey or a walking snack!
    Would you happen to have a recipie you do use/enjoy? I adore the same, but don't have really an recipe to go off of tragically.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++