WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Colin Gooder has loads of bad reviews on Google Reviews. Reading those is quite insightful. I'd never stay at this place just because of all the bad word of mouth I've heard.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

I will never sleep in a tent spot once a bear has shown up and tried to get my food. I've done it in the past, and learned my lesson. They won't leave you alone. And they can become more aggressive throughout the night. Just look at what happened in Ovando in 2021.

Same for hostile owners or even other people staying at the hostel. If they show up and are aggressive, leave. It will only escalate and make a lasting negative impression. Even if it means paying more for a hotel room, or other inconvenience. In the long run, the impact will be much less. Going to sleep will NOT solve the problem.

Gravityman

Default READ THIS FIRST! Witnessed reply to the allegations in this post.

*UPDATE* Originally I requested to have this entire thread removed, but after some discussion with a site admin, we have decided that it is best to let it remain so that my reply will be available for all to read. Thank you. Below is my personal response to the allegations made by the hiker, Guillaume:

Please read this in its entirety -

The hiker who posted this original thread, whose name is Guillaume, and goes by “Liam” or “Comrad” has accused this hostel owner of abuse towards me, and I am here to say that this is absolutely false.

The girl that Guillaume refers to as “possibly being abused” is me. My name is Brittany (my trail name is Waffles/ Star Waffle), and I have been living at Gooder’s Grove since the beginning of October, thus have witnessed this entire incident.

We (Zen & I) drove to the gap to pick up this hiker as scheduled. We were early. Right after we pulled in to the parking lot, Zen received a text from Guillaume stating that he had changed his mind, and found a hitch from someone else. Please keep in mind that it was raining and very foggy to the point that you could only see a few feet in front of the car on a winding mountain road. So, after spending time & gas on a drive that was pretty dangerous to begin with, we turned around and proceeded to meet Guillaume at the Walmart in town.

While picking him up at the store, Zen informed Guillaume that he did not receive his text until after we had arrived at the gap. Guillaume responded that this was “impossible”. It is most definitely possible, since those who are familiar with phone service in the mountains know that it can be unreliable at the best of times. Regardless, we directed the conversation elsewhere, picked up some food from Chick-fil-a for another group of hikers staying at the hostel, and drove back.

After arriving back at the hostel, Zen talked Guillaume through the check-in process (as he has with every other hiker previously) while I unpacked all the food in the kitchen. The kitchen is right off the entry, so I was able to overhear the entire conversation. Guillaume was asked to remove his shoes since it was muddy and raining. He refused to do so. He was asked to wash his hands at the kitchen sink, which is a standard practice of cleanliness, and he refused.

Fast forward to the next morning, Guillaume was cooking breakfast in the kitchen while we were prepping to take another solo hiker on a shuttle. I entered the kitchen to do something at the sink, and noticed that the kitchen window was opened, which caught me off-guard because the sill is typically lined with personal belongings and gifts from hikers who have stayed at the hostel. In particular, there were two glass arrowheads that had been made for us by a well-know AT trail angel days previously. All of these keepsakes had been leaning up against the window pane, but now they were knocked all over the countertop. Zen confronted him when he saw this, and Guillaume made no effort to apologize for his blatant disregard for belongings not his own.

In hopes of keeping this post as short as possible, I will abbreviate events from here forward. I was asked to be present to the conversation in which I was reportedly “very embarrassed” and “under pressure” so that I could witness for a situation like this one. Yes, I was uncomfortable to be in a confrontational situation, but I knew it was important, so I stayed. I dealt with my emotions during that moment in the best way I knew how, which was to organize business cards and pamphlets on a nearby desk.

On this note, I have been abused in the past, but NEVER by Zen. I have severe C-PTSD from it and have received extensive treatment. I know what my symptoms are and how to handle triggers.

The next morning, I was woken up by shouting in the kitchen. I heard Guillaume’s voice only, not Zen’s. And the room I was sleeping in is on the complete opposite end of the house with a solid wooden door in between.

Zen was well within his right to stop any further use of the kitchen after being physically elbowed and spoken to so disrespectfully. It may be a hostel, but it is also Zen’s home. After all, that is a hostel in its truest form.

There are other details I could provide, but I have already devoted more time and energy to this post than I care to. I do know that it took us over an hour to clean up the mess in the kitchen that this hiker left, and that the level of belligerence he displayed during his stay was shocking. I might add, that if he thought I was in any real danger, then he had ample time to ask me directly about it. I would have gladly cleared up any misunderstandings on the spot. But, he did not.

Again, any allegations made in this original thread are COMPLETELY false, and I will put every effort into ensuring they do not stand. I have requested that this thread be removed. Until it is, read all comments carefully - the truth is plain.

I genuinely hope that Guillaume completed his hike successfully, and that he is safe, wherever he is.

Choose kindness, first. Choose compassion, first. Choose understanding, first.

Be well, everyone. We look forward to seeing you this upcoming season!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++