WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 159 US Forests

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    So how many of the 159 have you checked off as of yet?
    And where are you trying to head to next?
    Thanks for asking JNI64. Unlike Goldenbear, I haven't been keeping track until more recently so I'm only at 8 (mostly in the mid-atlantic and northeast) but I'm planning a camper van trip down to visit some family in the southeast this February and so I should be able to knock off quite a few more. Also in 2023 I hope to hike the AT. If all goes perfectly I could end up with 21 forests visited by the end of 2023! Then I'll be off to explore the forests out west in 2024.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Back from a month long trip in my camper van down to Florida and now I'm up to 17 forests visited! I'm keeping a little journal of what I saw in each forest and what I'd like to visit next time I'm in the area. If there is no objection, I think I'll use this thread to document my progress to visited all 159! As I visit I'm going to put them in my personal favorites order (I reserve the right to reshuffle them if I go back and see more of a forest).

I rank each forest as if I have a friend from another country that shares my likes and dislikes and only has time to visit one US forest, which forest would I recommend.

For me I like a forest that:
    1) allows you to immerse yourself in nature (highway noise, visible civilization, livestock, trash or crowds lower a forest's score for me)
    2) is scenic or beautiful in either its vistas or waterways (waterfalls, lakes, rivers) or has unique, interesting or iconic features
    3) is pleasant to travel thru (long trails and backpacking opportunities increase a forest's score, a trailless swamp would score lower)

Ok, with no further delay, my initial forests ranking of the ones I've visited so far (state listed is where majority of forest is):
    White Mountain NF NH
    Adirondacks NY
    North Maine Woods ME
    Monongahela NF WV
    Green Mountain NF VT
    PA Wilds PA
    Sumter NF SC
    Allegheny NF PA
    Ocala NF FL
    Croatan NF NC
    Uwharrie NF NC
    Apalachicola NF FL
    Finger Lakes NF NY
    El Yunque NF Puerto Rico
    Osceola NF FL
    Oconee NF GA
    Francis Marion NF SC

I remain interested in hearing about people's progress toward visiting all 159 or seeing your ranked lists! Currently I'm planning doing a flip-flop AT thru hike later this year and so should be able to add Chattahoochee, Nantahala, Pisgah, Cherokee, Jefferson and George Washington NFs to my visited list by the end of 2023. May hold off on adding Cherokee to my visited list until I explore the western BMT section though.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++