WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best big salads near the AT?

I've read about some iconic places to grab some town food along the AT . . but can anyone share any places they had any decent big salads along the AT? About once a week I eat one in my normal life and I would be interested to learn of any good places along the AT.

As always thanks in advance for the wisdom of whiteblaze!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Fife and Drum, Kent CT
    Xicohtencati Mexican, Great Barrington MA
    Water St Grill, Williams MA
    Inn at the Long Trail, VT
    Vibrissa Brewing, Front Royal VA

These were good, vs big. Not a lot of salady places along the way.

I love a good salad bar
    Which are just now starting to open back up again due to you know what (covid). But I think alot places have good salad these days. Even the fast food places have salad choices these days.
    I personally like the grocery store type salad bars like Giant Foods, Harris Teeter etc. There's probably that option along the way.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

check out any ayce major chain places. you can customize everest salads.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the AYCE places. But whenever possible, I'd splurge for a good salad (something other than iceberg lettuce and a few shreds of carrot) at a decent restaurant.

It's been 14 years since I hiked the AT so my input is worthless, but I applaud your dietary choice. Nutrition means so much more than caloric value. I learned from another hiker that carrying at least one fresh thing to eat every day, at least a carrot, bell pepper or stalk of celery, relieved the cravings a little.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Ditto the AYCE places. But whenever possible, I'd splurge for a good salad (something other than iceberg lettuce and a few shreds of carrot) at a decent restaurant.

It's been 14 years since I hiked the AT so my input is worthless, but I applaud your dietary choice. Nutrition means so much more than caloric value. I learned from another hiker that carrying at least one fresh thing to eat every day, at least a carrot, bell pepper or stalk of celery, relieved the cravings a little.
    First of all, iceberg is some awesome hydrating, crunchy blandness that goes well with fatty dressings like ranch, blue cheese, etc. Love me a big wedge or cobb. A mix of lettuce is always good, though. Don't get me wrong, I dig an arugula and/or spinach salad, too, but thats all for having a different taste, or helping to fill me up when I'm wanting to eat less overall, and I can't imagine craving one of those on the trail.

In your experience, what are the best fresh foods to bring along and about how long can you carry them? Like an orange? Apple? Carrot? Broccoli? Beets? Onions? Jesting on the latter two, not ingesting.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Frequently your best bet will be to buy one of those bag salad kits at a grocery.

Also adding Mountainside Cafe just south of Falls Village CT.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    First of all, iceberg is some awesome hydrating, crunchy blandness that goes well with fatty dressings like ranch, blue cheese, etc. Love me a big wedge or cobb. A mix of lettuce is always good, though. Don't get me wrong, I dig an arugula and/or spinach salad, too, but thats all for having a different taste, or helping to fill me up when I'm wanting to eat less overall, and I can't imagine craving one of those on the trail.

In your experience, what are the best fresh foods to bring along and about how long can you carry them? Like an orange? Apple? Carrot? Broccoli? Beets? Onions? Jesting on the latter two, not ingesting.
    That is great advice. Everytime I came into town what I wanted most was a salad and fresh fruit. Even more than a burger and a pizza.

This side of the dirt
    Images

Mountainside Cafe, Falls Village, CT salad menu

Screenshot_3.png
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Thank you to all who posted! Here's what I've got so far, if anyone has any more to add the list of course feel free to keep chiming in:
    Fife and Drum, Kent CT
    Xicohtencati Mexican, Great Barrington MA
    Water St Grill, Williams MA
    Inn at the Long Trail, VT
    Vibrissa Brewing, Front Royal VA
    Mountainside Cafe, Falls Village CT (with menu included) : )
    All You Can Eat places
    Grocery Store salad bars

AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

The inn at the long trail is a great place to stay as well, a very nice little bed and breakfast with a Irish pub . Great food and drinks and good company. I stayed there a couple days when I drove up for a snowshoeing snow skiing trip .

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    The inn at the long trail is a great place to stay as well, a very nice little bed and breakfast with a Irish pub . Great food and drinks and good company. I stayed there a couple days when I drove up for a snowshoeing snow skiing trip .
    I spent the night there as I hiked by. Then as a section hiker always tried to spend a night there as I drove home. Highly recommend.

Kelley Farm Kitchen in Harpers Ferry has amazing salads. They are gigantic (easily equivalent to 4 side salads) and super fresh. They are also vegan.

I’ll add to my own thread here when I remember to do so too. :-)

Kent, CT: Great salad at KPG Kitchen & Bar
    Camp in the Grand Summit Hotel at Sunday River Newry, ME. Yum!

“salad bar” is a great trail name, fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    “salad bar” is a great trail name, fwiw
    I met a thru hiker last year trail name of Salad. Evidently one older gentleman was getting a little too close when they were sleeping in the shelter....
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

There was an “ Egg Salad “ out there this year

++ New Posts ++