Seeking feedback: I am an experienced backpacker, who section hiked the AT in 11 out of 14 years. I live in VT and have plenty of winter weather experience.

Now that I am nearing retirement, I plan to thru hike NOBO starting mid April 2023. I want to follow spring wildflowers north and avoid most of the colder weather that would come with an earlier start. I also want to avoid the pressure of completing a NOBO hike by early to mid October and the congestion of trailing behind the bubble. I don’t want to flip at Harpers Ferry and find myself in black fly and mosquito seasons up north.

I think that by mid July I will be in the vicinity of Port Clinton or the Delaware Water Gap. Wherever I am, I am planning to flip to Baxter State Park (bus/shuttle to NYC/Newark, plane to Bangor, bus to Medway, and night or two at AT Lodge), summit, and then hike south. I know I need a reservation for a campsite at BSP and the AT Lodge.

Does anyone have experience with this type of flip and have suggestions? Thanks.