WhiteBlaze Pages 2023
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $5 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Registered User dhagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-20-2014
    Location
    Birmingham Al
    Age
    61
    Posts
    96

    Default Where is everyone?

    It's been a long time since there was a new post on here. Ya'll ok? It took me 2 years to recover enough from covid to get out there. Nothing special, just the cave creek loop. Man...was it good to get back out there!

  2. #2
    Registered User Slugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-07-2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    30
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Hey there..all good here

    Couple weekends ago I day hiked the Mountaintown Creek Trail up near the northern terminus which shares a treadway with the Pinhoti for about 2/3rds of its length.

  3. #3
    Surveyor & cartographer
    Join Date
    01-12-2006
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Posts
    198
    Images
    3

    Default

    This is why I posted earlier today. I visited Whiteblaze for the first time in a long time and realized it's become a ghost town, so I posted hoping to provide some momentum.

    I dunno, it seems like Whiteblaze has become an artifact of the early internet. I'm guessing FarOut has become the main AT online forum now.

    I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

    ~John Muir

  4. #4
    Surveyor & cartographer
    Join Date
    01-12-2006
    Location
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Posts
    198
    Images
    3

    Default

    Not the AT, but here's my latest hike...in the Philippines!

    http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008...ails-2435.html

    I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

    ~John Muir

  5. #5

    Default

    Most folks still here on earth

  6. #6
    Registered User dhagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-20-2014
    Location
    Birmingham Al
    Age
    61
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    Not the AT, but here's my latest hike...in the Philippines!

    http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008...ails-2435.html
    Wow! That looks amazing!

  7. #7

    Default

    It's amazing how COVID has changed the world. It has devastated the backpacking world.....:-(

  8. #8
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.
    Join Date
    12-13-2004
    Location
    Essex, Vermont
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    It's amazing how COVID has changed the world. It has devastated the backpacking world.....:-(
    Really!? The trails have been super busy around here.

  9. #9
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    It's amazing how COVID has changed the world. It has devastated the backpacking world.....:-(
    The only devastating factor I see is that's what everyone has turned to since everything else was closed. The trail head parking lots were so full you couldn't even go hiking.

  10. #10
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dhagan View Post
    It's been a long time since there was a new post on here. Ya'll ok? It took me 2 years to recover enough from covid to get out there. Nothing special, just the cave creek loop. Man...was it good to get back out there!
    You was recovering from covid for 2 years?
    Getting out there meaning the woods away from people should have been the safest option, yes?

  11. #11

    Default

    Like many things, participation in forums like this have an ebb and flow. Usually a great deal of participation here as we get close to xmas and the NOBO "start up", gets quiet again around June or so. Some years its a minor difference, some years a visible one.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2011
    Location
    The Great Southern Peninsula
    Age
    36
    Posts
    156
    Images
    11

    Default

    I think its equal parts hikers having more online options nowadays and it being the "off season" for AT hiking.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-20-2014
    Location
    Warrior Alabama
    Age
    65
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Glad you are back out there! I just finished the Georgia Loop.Very challenging hike. Always good to be back in the back country!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    This is why I posted earlier today. I visited Whiteblaze for the first time in a long time and realized it's become a ghost town, so I posted hoping to provide some momentum.

    I dunno, it seems like Whiteblaze has become an artifact of the early internet. I'm guessing FarOut has become the main AT online forum now.
    FarOut has alot of info on their home page. Today was my first visit there.

  15. #15

    Default

    . The trail head parking lots were so full you couldn't even go hiking

    Ummmm….Yogi?

  16. #16
    This side of the dirt
    Join Date
    05-29-2008
    Location
    Wherever I happen to be
    Posts
    401
    Images
    8

    Default

    Haven't been on this forum or done any hiking in years due to back injury then getting out of shape, but two weeks ago hit the AT for 2 nights from Dalton down to Lee. It was great to get back out there but really found out that my "trail legs" need to be reestablished.

    Starting to put together a plan (logistics of the hike & getting into hiking shape) to do the Foothills Trail in 2023
    If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

    Come to me, all you who are tired and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    Haven't been on this forum or done any hiking in years due to back injury then getting out of shape, but two weeks ago hit the AT for 2 nights from Dalton down to Lee. It was great to get back out there but really found out that my "trail legs" need to be reestablished.

    Starting to put together a plan (logistics of the hike & getting into hiking shape) to do the Foothills Trail in 2023
    Hiked Foothills Trail in May. Great trail to start back with. Well maintained, waterfalls. And lots of bridges so you don't have to ford. Plenty of water and campsites.

  18. #18

    Default

    I did the Cave Creek Loop a couple of weeks ago. It and the South Cheaha/Skyway Loop are favorites for last minute quickies when I have no plan and am pressed for time, so I usually end up doing both of them a couple times per year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Really!? The trails have been super busy around here.
    Well that's what "devastated" means to some of us!

  19. #19
    Registered User dhagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-20-2014
    Location
    Birmingham Al
    Age
    61
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    You was recovering from covid for 2 years?
    Getting out there meaning the woods away from people should have been the safest option, yes?

    I had it really bad. 8 days in the hospital. Lung damage. Fatigue. No desire to do anything. Gained a ton of weight. I finally decided to get off my ass... lose some weight and start slow. So I lost 53 lbs and started hitting the gym, stairstepper and treadmill. I did the 9/11 stairstepper challenge and said I was ready. But...Football games and tailgating started. Can't let my peeps down. I'm good to go now!

    I agree that the woods would have been the safest option, but my job as a school resource officer, put me in close contact with the germ bombs.

  20. #20
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dhagan View Post
    I had it really bad. 8 days in the hospital. Lung damage. Fatigue. No desire to do anything. Gained a ton of weight. I finally decided to get off my ass... lose some weight and start slow. So I lost 53 lbs and started hitting the gym, stairstepper and treadmill. I did the 9/11 stairstepper challenge and said I was ready. But...Football games and tailgating started. Can't let my peeps down. I'm good to go now!

    I agree that the woods would have been the safest option, but my job as a school resource officer, put me in close contact with the germ bombs.
    Wow, that really sucks! The lungs can repair themselves I believe am I right? I glad you got off your ass and lost all that weight and now hitting the gym , good for you much respect!
    I work as a plumber for a major school system as well and right before covid I went 2nd shift 2-10 so that got me out of alot of germ bombs .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •