WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where is everyone?

It's been a long time since there was a new post on here. Ya'll ok? It took me 2 years to recover enough from covid to get out there. Nothing special, just the cave creek loop. Man...was it good to get back out there!

Hey there..all good here

Couple weekends ago I day hiked the Mountaintown Creek Trail up near the northern terminus which shares a treadway with the Pinhoti for about 2/3rds of its length.

Images

This is why I posted earlier today. I visited Whiteblaze for the first time in a long time and realized it's become a ghost town, so I posted hoping to provide some momentum.

I dunno, it seems like Whiteblaze has become an artifact of the early internet. I'm guessing FarOut has become the main AT online forum now.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Images

Not the AT, but here's my latest hike...in the Philippines!

http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008...ails-2435.html

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Most folks still here on earth

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    Not the AT, but here's my latest hike...in the Philippines!

http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008...ails-2435.html
    Wow! That looks amazing!

Images

It's amazing how COVID has changed the world. It has devastated the backpacking world.....:-(

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    It's amazing how COVID has changed the world. It has devastated the backpacking world.....:-(
    Really!? The trails have been super busy around here.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The only devastating factor I see is that's what everyone has turned to since everything else was closed. The trail head parking lots were so full you couldn't even go hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by dhagan View Post
    It's been a long time since there was a new post on here. Ya'll ok? It took me 2 years to recover enough from covid to get out there. Nothing special, just the cave creek loop. Man...was it good to get back out there!
    You was recovering from covid for 2 years?
    Getting out there meaning the woods away from people should have been the safest option, yes?

Like many things, participation in forums like this have an ebb and flow. Usually a great deal of participation here as we get close to xmas and the NOBO "start up", gets quiet again around June or so. Some years its a minor difference, some years a visible one.

Images

I think its equal parts hikers having more online options nowadays and it being the "off season" for AT hiking.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Glad you are back out there! I just finished the Georgia Loop.Very challenging hike. Always good to be back in the back country!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    This is why I posted earlier today. I visited Whiteblaze for the first time in a long time and realized it's become a ghost town, so I posted hoping to provide some momentum.

I dunno, it seems like Whiteblaze has become an artifact of the early internet. I'm guessing FarOut has become the main AT online forum now.
    FarOut has alot of info on their home page. Today was my first visit there.

. The trail head parking lots were so full you couldn't even go hiking

Ummmm….Yogi?

This side of the dirt
    Images

Haven't been on this forum or done any hiking in years due to back injury then getting out of shape, but two weeks ago hit the AT for 2 nights from Dalton down to Lee. It was great to get back out there but really found out that my "trail legs" need to be reestablished.

Starting to put together a plan (logistics of the hike & getting into hiking shape) to do the Foothills Trail in 2023
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    Haven't been on this forum or done any hiking in years due to back injury then getting out of shape, but two weeks ago hit the AT for 2 nights from Dalton down to Lee. It was great to get back out there but really found out that my "trail legs" need to be reestablished.

Starting to put together a plan (logistics of the hike & getting into hiking shape) to do the Foothills Trail in 2023
    Hiked Foothills Trail in May. Great trail to start back with. Well maintained, waterfalls. And lots of bridges so you don't have to ford. Plenty of water and campsites.

I did the Cave Creek Loop a couple of weeks ago. It and the South Cheaha/Skyway Loop are favorites for last minute quickies when I have no plan and am pressed for time, so I usually end up doing both of them a couple times per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Really!? The trails have been super busy around here.
    Well that's what "devastated" means to some of us!

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    You was recovering from covid for 2 years?
    Getting out there meaning the woods away from people should have been the safest option, yes?

I had it really bad. 8 days in the hospital. Lung damage. Fatigue. No desire to do anything. Gained a ton of weight. I finally decided to get off my ass... lose some weight and start slow. So I lost 53 lbs and started hitting the gym, stairstepper and treadmill. I did the 9/11 stairstepper challenge and said I was ready. But...Football games and tailgating started. Can't let my peeps down. I'm good to go now!

I agree that the woods would have been the safest option, but my job as a school resource officer, put me in close contact with the germ bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by dhagan View Post
    I had it really bad. 8 days in the hospital. Lung damage. Fatigue. No desire to do anything. Gained a ton of weight. I finally decided to get off my ass... lose some weight and start slow. So I lost 53 lbs and started hitting the gym, stairstepper and treadmill. I did the 9/11 stairstepper challenge and said I was ready. But...Football games and tailgating started. Can't let my peeps down. I'm good to go now!

I agree that the woods would have been the safest option, but my job as a school resource officer, put me in close contact with the germ bombs.
    Wow, that really sucks! The lungs can repair themselves I believe am I right? I glad you got off your ass and lost all that weight and now hitting the gym , good for you much respect!
    I work as a plumber for a major school system as well and right before covid I went 2nd shift 2-10 so that got me out of alot of germ bombs .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++