WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Question train to harpers ferry wv.

help
    i need some info on the train that goes from wash.dc.to harpers ferry ,i need the train times and maybe cost of train,we will be coming in from wilmington del. in sept
    wolf

Call AMTRAK 800-USA-RAIL and MARC 800-325-7245 for info. Both serve Harper's Ferry.

USe the MARC train over AMTRACK, much more reliable.

Images

the MARC runs only Monday-Friday, and I think costs $9.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/
    Journal * Photos
    "The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know.... Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough." -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by joel137
    USe the MARC train over AMTRACK, much more reliable.
    MARC doesn't connect with Wilmington. Take Amtrak to DC. Their fares are listed on their website. Connect in DC to either MARC or Amtrak going west. Since Harpers Ferry is the first stop going west for Amtrak, it should be on time.

Been waiting to make my first post and here is a subject I know to well. There are four trains that serve DC and Harpers Ferry all leaving in the afternoon. The first train is Amtrak's Capitol limited that departs at DC at 3:55 PM and arrives at 5:06 PM. The MARC trains depart DC at 4:55, 5:35 and 7:15 and arrive respectively at 6:16, 7:09, and 8:47 PM. The MARC fare is $9.00 one way while the Amtrak fare is $15.00. Reliability for on time arrival goes to Amtrak. MARC is frequently late as I can attest to as daily commuter. My 4:55 train arrived in Harpers Ferry this evening at 7:00. Time to go to bed!

And going the other direction?

My experience was that Marc was more on time, i.e. for H.F -> DC

Maybe the best advice is AMtrack for heading west and marc for heading east?

Default Point made to me by the ticket agent at DC

Quote Originally Posted by dovecote
    Been waiting to make my first post and here is a subject I know to well. There are four trains that serve DC and Harpers Ferry all leaving in the afternoon. The first train is Amtrak's Capitol limited that departs at DC at 3:55 PM and arrives at 5:06 PM. The MARC trains depart DC at 4:55, 5:35 and 7:15 and arrive respectively at 6:16, 7:09, and 8:47 PM. The MARC fare is $9.00 one way while the Amtrak fare is $15.00. Reliability for on time arrival goes to Amtrak. MARC is frequently late as I can attest to as daily commuter. My 4:55 train arrived in Harpers Ferry this evening at 7:00. Time to go to bed!
    I'm not thoroughly versed on the subject like dovecote, great information, by the way, but the one time I took the train to H.F. I asked the agent at Union Station which was line I should ride, and he told me the MARC is $9.00 and AMTRAK varied depending on how much in advance you make your reservation. Don't know the range, whether $15 is the buy and fly, or the long range planning fare.
    I came into this world with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

And going the other direction?

My experience was that Marc was more on time, i.e. for H.F -> DC

Maybe the best advice is AMtrack for heading west and marc for heading east?

Usually right. Going east, the Capitol Limited (Amtrak) originates in Chicago. It is sometimes held for late-arriving train connections from the West Coast so may begin its trip late (Chicago is THE major Amtrak midwest transfer point). It is also subject to other delays just like any train, much of it beyond Amtrak's control.

Heading west, the Capitol Limited begins its journey in DC, and it's a relatively short hop to Harpers Ferry. If it gets underway on time, it's often in Harpers Ferry on time. If it is late, the reason is usually because it was held for late-arriving train connections from Florida.

So, yep, MARC if eastbound HF to DC, Amtrak if westbound DC to HF.

The Amtrak train is MUCH nicer BTW.

I think I am going to be faced with AMTRACK issues in late June,

problem, I need to catch the south bound Crescent, I don't care where I pick it up, but likely choices are Philly or DC, maybe Baltimore or Wilmington.

My ride may prefer to dump me in Harrisburg, the Pennsylvanian will end up in Philly from Harrisburg, arrives one hour prior to the Crescent departure from Philly.

Do I trust AMTRACK to make the connection?

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I think I am going to be faced with AMTRACK issues in late June,

problem, I need to catch the south bound Crescent, I don't care where I pick it up, but likely choices are Philly or DC, maybe Baltimore or Wilmington.

My ride may prefer to dump me in Harrisburg, the Pennsylvanian will end up in Philly from Harrisburg, arrives one hour prior to the Crescent departure from Philly.

Do I trust AMTRACK to make the connection?

The southbound Crescent originates in NYC. Assuming (if you want to) that it leaves NYC on time, it will probably be close to on time as it travels thru the NYC-DC Northeast Corridor...barring major emergency incidents that might block tracks. The NE Corridor--where Amtrak owns the tracks--runs a LOT of passenger trains, and they generally get priority over freight trains. Elsewhere in the nation, where the private freight railroads own the tracks, the opposite is often true.

Passenger trains that run between Harrisburg and Philly also have a better on-time record than many other routes throughout the country. BUT, rather than rely on the 12:55pm Pennsylvanian--which originates eastbound in Pittsburgh and could get behind schedule as it negotiates freight congestion in the mountains--may I suggest you time your arrival at the Harrisburg station for earlier in the day? There are several (unreserved) trains that actually originate right there during the morning in Harrisburg that will get you to Philly in plenty of time to make your Crescent connection. Yeah, you'll have more time to kill in Philly, but there are sights to see and cheese steaks to eat so enjoy!

To see the entire Harrisburg-Philly route schedule, visit http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/mar06/W10.pdf

Being a frequent Amtrak passenger (especially on long-haul routes out west) is not unlike being a long distance hiker. Both are best enjoyed by the adventurous. Some days on Amtrak, you will have fantastic experiences, you will meet people on board who may become lifelong friends, you will enjoy culinary delights in the diner, and the scenery is superb. Other days, you will be nothing but frustrated and will swear never to take the train again due to unexpected things that happen on the tracks and on board the train itself. Best advice for railfans and hikers alike is to just try to go with the flow and not let those bad days keep you from having more good days in the future.
    Last edited by Skyline; 04-05-2006 at 10:10.

What an excellent suggestion regarding the originating trains in Harrisburg,

muchas gracias

and thanks for the info

Forgot to add, WB rules!

and, I'm sure I could use a good Philly sandwich after a month of hiking!

I commuted from Lancaster (~30mins east of Harrisburg) into Philly for about 2 years - make sure you catch one of the trains that originate in Harrisburg. The Pennsylvanian is almost always late.

The trains that run between Harrisburg and Philly are decent with respect to arrival time but recent track work has added an element of "surprise" to when the train will get in.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chemist
    I commuted from Lancaster (~30mins east of Harrisburg) into Philly for about 2 years - make sure you catch one of the trains that originate in Harrisburg. The Pennsylvanian is almost always late.

The trains that run between Harrisburg and Philly are decent with respect to arrival time but recent track work has added an element of "surprise" to when the train will get in.

Good point. I noticed on the PDF schedule I linked to above that Amtrak has adjusted the schedules to account for this track work, but it never hurts to err on the conservative side and take an earlier train.

And that's the last time I'll be promoting the conservative side on WB!!! :-)

Hi! I am back after another day at work in the District. The MARC train ARRIVED earlier this evening at Harpers Ferry at 6:10, go figure. Good information from the prior posts after I called it at night.

One point to note on taking Amtrak southbound from Philly to DC. You can not take the Crescent. This is a long distance train that does receive passengers locally for travel between New York City and Washington. You will have to use one of the Northeast Regional trains in Philly to get off in DC for the transfer to HF.

By the way, in reply to Bogey's question, with a little bit of advance planning you can buy a one way Amtrak ticket for $5.70 for travel between
    DC and HF. This fare is occasionally offered on their Hot Deals section.

In reply to Joel's question, trips from HF to DC are 5:51 and 6:56 AM on the MARC train (arriving 7:28 and 8:30) Monday thru Friday (except holidays)as previosly stated. The Amtrak train is SUPPOSE to arrive at 10:15 AM in HF and arrive in DC at 11:59. Expect the train to be late.

One mistake on my previous post. (See the underline)

>>>>One point to note on taking Amtrak southbound from Philly to DC. You can not take the Crescent. This is a long distance train that does not receive passengers locally for travel between New York City and Washington. You will have to use one of the Northeast Regional trains in Philly to get off in DC for the transfer to HF.>>>>>>>

Thanks for the info, I"ll actually be taking the Crescent to Georgia, so I'll be a long distance passenger for that leg (I suppose I get a nookie, for taking the thread OT a tad.)

Okay I am getting pretty discouraged... I am trying to figure out a way BACK to the trail. I am willing to come back to make up missed miles if I can just GET BACK. Last option is gonna be finding a ride to trail days/splitting gas or whatever and then coming BACK there after maine to hike the missed miles south. I got off the trail with a back and money problem not to mention my teeth started hurting after the snickers bars. The only option I have is to pay 300 bucks for a greyhound ticket to atlanta and 200 or more for a shuttle. :/ Can SOMEONE PLEASE Help me figure this out. amtrack says some track was messed up and my only option is to catch a train to dc then back down for just as much as a greyhound ticket/shuttle. I am at my wits end....any advice/info would help and be much appreciated!
    Ave MaRia
    "For the first time in my short life, I was actually living. I ate because I was hungry, I drank because I was thirsty, and slept because I was tired, and everyday I had a goal to achieve."-David Goode

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++