WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Fastest Known Time stories.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

I'm aware of the controversy over Grandma Gatewood's thru-hikes, but I wasn't really concerned about that.

I just wanted to know if you're tired of hearing about it at this point.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Images

Yeah, I feel that one. I was googling something else about the A.T. recently and the first page of results was full of FKT stories. I really couldn't care less about that and in fact I think it denigrates the trail. The A.T. is not an athletic marathon and anyway it's crazy to try to do it in 40-something days or whatever the current record is.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Tired of hearing about: Horror stories about Baxter State Park.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Tired of hearing about: Horror stories about Baxter State Park.
    When I finished my hike there I was pleasantly surprised by the kindness of the Rangers. I guess if you just follow the rules and have a good attitude things go a lot smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    When I finished my hike there I was pleasantly surprised by the kindness of the Rangers. I guess if you just follow the rules and have a good attitude things go a lot smoother.
    There have been issues there on both sides over the years, but they're few and far between. The biggest frustration is when people dig those out of the forgotten pile to make sure we all remember them.

Whatever happened to Ward Leonard? I recall the did 2 thru-hikes in one year....held the record at one time.....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Have been reading around on this forum and some others where I am finding both here and elsewhere the same recurring theme. Many espouse to adhere to the phrase "hike your own hike".
    Talk is cheap when one's two-faced doublespeak belies those words.
    constructive criticism and genuine support is one thing but open harrasment and belittling is something else entirely.
    “I did it. I said I'd do it and I've done it.” ~Grandma Gatewood
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

This goes at the top of my list of things I'm most tired of reading about; people trying to impose ridiculous LNT standards on the AT that no one is ever going to take seriously. No hiking during or shortly after rainfall which would likely result in an additional 30-60 days for a thru hike. Some of you people treat the AT like it's a deity. Every step we take o the AT leaves a trace; if it's so sacred to you, stay off it.

in the interest of LNT.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotCrotch View Post
    BS about hiking through the mud puddles. Clearly we should minimize erosion by not splashing, not stirring up mud, and not making the low spots lower.

The best thing to avoid erosion? Do not hike during or shortly after rain. But trail policy limits time spent in any one place, with no exceptions for weather.

Images

That's kind of a weird application of LNT. I always thought LNT applied to everything that was not the trail, instead of the trail itself. Obviously, it's impossible to LNT on the trail itself because it is a worn footpath.

~John Muir

Majortrauma, my point was that hiking during or shortly after rain should be optional. My LNT argument was aimed at the policy makers, not the hikers.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

Stories, whether true, embellished or false are part of the culture on the AT. Sure, some of the stories and the storyteller get old rather quick but it is what it is.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Stories, whether true, embellished or false are part of the culture on the AT. Sure, some of the stories and the storyteller get old rather quick but it is what it is.
    That's one reason I like Irish films - They never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    This goes at the top of my list of things I'm most tired of reading about; people trying to impose ridiculous LNT standards on the AT that no one is ever going to take seriously. No hiking during or shortly after rainfall which would likely result in an additional 30-60 days for a thru hike. Some of you people treat the AT like it's a deity. Every step we take o the AT leaves a trace; if it's so sacred to you, stay off it.
    If you are interested, I moderated a LNT thread a number of years ago. Surprisingly, it did not go off the tracks and there was a fair bit of thoughtful discussion on this this issue.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...l=1#post975225

I shared a shelter in VT with a thruhiker who had just gone to town the day prior. For dinner he ate a can of Duncan Hines vanilla frosting. If you've hard that story before I can attest to it being true, and you can add it to the list of stories you're sick of hearing.

I can’t believe someone could survive on just one can of frosting, surely he brought two?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HotCrotch View Post
    Majortrauma, my point was that hiking during or shortly after rain should be optional. My LNT argument was aimed at the policy makers, not the hikers.
    Pretty sure hiking during or shortly after rain is optional....

lol, he probably did. One can of that stuff is 2100 calories, not counting the plastic lid which I'm pretty sure he ate as well

Yes to HankIV, its all part of the magic. Everybody starts somewhere, and I would rather see them start on the AT. Let 'em talk, we learned too. The trail is a type of bootcamp, it all falls off along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo1983 View Post
    lol, he probably did. One can of that stuff is 2100 calories, not counting the plastic lid which I'm pretty sure he ate as well
    Vanilla Frosting 140 cal/tablespoon
    Nutella 200 cal/tablespoon

Both make great comfort foods on or off the trail. I frequently carry one or the other and it disappears fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++