WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lick Creek Crossing

Looks like the bridge at the Lick Creek crossing is still out. AT says it's usually knee deep but no indication how wide. What is that crossing like?

Here is a short video of wading the crossing. Looks pretty easy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1u2o53jyJcU

Most of the time it's an easy crossing, shin deep. But when it's really wet, the water can be high and dangerous, as when the bridge got blown out during a flood a few years ago.

Headed that way next week, trying to figure out best method for cold weather creek crossing. Thinking crocs. Stay tuned.

If they've had lots of rain, it could be an issue. Too, big snow/ice storms forecast for the South around Christmas. I know you'll be keeping track of that.

Parts of VA got hit by an ice storm this week. And parts of the AT near Pearisburg were chewed up bad by ice two years ago. The forecast for extreme cold and perhaps snow or freezing rain over the next ten days should make for unusually tough stuff in the South. Be careful. Good luck. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Headed that way next week, trying to figure out best method for cold weather creek crossing. Thinking crocs. Stay tuned.

1. I never cross barefoot. Too many sharp things (sticks, rocks, broken glass, bones) to ruin your day. Your feet can go numb very quickly.
    2. I wear sturdy footwear. This counters the numbing effect some. Your ankle bone hits rocks and rocks move out from under you. Crocs and flip-flops are not secure on your feet. If you must go that way use something like tevas or a water shoe that securely fits to the foot. I usually wear whatever I am hiking in. This is the place I am most likely to turn or bruise an ankle and the worst place to do it. Occasionally I might swap to running shoes to keep my boots dry but my boots are usually wet anyhow. Sometimes I take the socks off but not so much anymore. They add extra protection and warmth. In cold weather, I want to get across and get going fast to stay warm. All the stopping to take things off and put them back on drains the heat out of me. If you don't like wet socks try some neoprene socks.
    3. I wear gaiters. This limits the sand going into my footwear and slows the cold water flow.
    4. For a minor stream I might roll up my wind pants/rain pants and I might pull up my long johns/tights somewhat. But for deeper stuff l leave them down for insulation.
    5. Long before I get to a stream, all my gear and down items are stowed away in waterproof bags as needed. I don't want anything dangling outside the pack that affects my balance or might get hung up on something if I fall. Knowing that I might be delayed getting across and going again, I will already have an additional upper body layer on or stowed so I can easily get at it before I cross and get at a dry/clean pair(s) of socks afterwards. My preference is to keeping on hiking and if I must change socks wait until I'm fully warm on an uphill segment.
    6. When I get to the stream I take my hands out of the straps on my poles so my hands are free to catch me if I fall. Sometimes I will stow them away. Sometimes I use a found sturdy wooden stick. Poles help for balance but can only take so much weight.
    7. Especially in cold weather, I avoid stepping stones and rock piles as they are likely to have ice on them. Even in warm weather, they can be unstable.
    8. For all water crossings I undo my waist belt and chest strap and loosen my shoulder straps. If I do fall, I want to get that pack off fast.
    9. I carry sufficient clothing to completely change if I get sopping wet and to stay warm if I sprain an ankle.
    10. I always carry extra fuel and a wide-mouth liter container to make a hot water bottle.

11. In all cold weather, I practice wiggling my toes ever so often to keep the blood flowing.

My wife and I did this section today, Dec. 29, hiking south from Va. 625/FS 222. We got to the north bank of the creek at 9:00 am, air temp. 24 F. The temporary rope line is a little upstream from where the bridge washed out, where the creek is narrower, and shallower. There was ice across most of the creek. We removed boots and socks, put on crocs, rolled up pants, freed pole and pack straps, etc. My wife went first, and only broke through the ice on her last step across. I'm 65 lbs. heavier, and I only went into the water on first step at the near bank and last step at the far bank. That ice won't be there long, unless the weather deteriorates again. Even without ice, it's an easy crossing unless the water is quite high, if following Daybreak's advice (above).

++ New Posts ++