WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Abingdon Gap area bear closure?

Anyone know what's up with this closure? It seems like it came on quickly and that is fairly strong language in the warning. Anyone know if it was a specific event
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chero...=FSEPRD1069700

This from the ATC.

"Due to a report of an aggressive bear near Abingdon Gap Shelter, Cherokee National Forest officials have closed the A.T. to all camping between Low Gap/U.S. 421 and the Tennessee/Virginia state line (NOBO miles 455.7 to 467.0). The previous camping closure between U.S. 321 and Wilbur Dam Road (NOBO miles 428.6 to 433.0) is still in effect. All area visitors should use caution, pack out all trash and food scraps, and never leave food unattended. Overnight hikers should plan their itineraries accordingly to avoid camping in these sections."
    "Black bears on the Trail are increasingly active at the moment since they are building fat reserves for the winter. Depending on natural food availability, they may be having a hard time achieving their goals. If they do find a good food source, they can be less timid and more willing to “protect” it from anything they view as competition."

There are also a couple of trails and shelters closed in the Smoky Mountains for the same reason.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Anyone know what's up with this closure? It seems like it came on quickly and that is fairly strong language in the warning. Anyone know if it was a specific event
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/chero...=FSEPRD1069700
    i was at Abingdon gap shelter yesterday, 10/28. the incident happened 10/26 according to the person that had the encounter. he wrote about it in the register. said the bear was on the trail leading to the spring. no mention of actual contact. then i read where hikers stayed the night of 10/27 and saw no bear. just an isolated incident. no reason the close camping in my opinion

That is an 11.3 mile long section with no camping. If it is still closed in the spring, it will cause the NOBO bubble to concentrate camping before the road crossing at the southern end. This is not only because it is relatively long for some hikers just getting trail legs, but also because hikers like a nero before entering town, in this case Damascus.

As a 2023 NOBO wannabe, I hope this ban is lifted by March. If not, a bear proof garbage can at the south end would be a great idea.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

I camped just south of Abingdon Gap Shelter this past May. Probably about 3 miles. The next morning, I was SOBO, I heard a crash and then saw a bear in the woods running north near the trail.

Not surprised
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

The trail is so smooth around there, so kudos on that. Seems like a no brainer to install bear boxes or cables. People can’t or won’t hang properly.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCrotch View Post
    That is an 11.3 mile long section with no camping. If it is still closed in the spring, it will cause the NOBO bubble to concentrate camping before the road crossing at the southern end. This is not only because it is relatively long for some hikers just getting trail legs, but also because hikers like a nero before entering town, in this case Damascus.

As a 2023 NOBO wannabe, I hope this ban is lifted by March. If not, a bear proof garbage can at the south end would be a great idea.
    Abington gap is like 460 miles in. If you don't have your trail legs by then, you never will. This bear will no doubt den someplace near where he is now and wake up hungry sometime in late March. Hopefully by the time most thru hikers get there in early May, there will be enough natural food growing to keep him happy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I used "trail legs" rather loosely to include cardiovascular fitness and weight loss (40 pounds in my case), which took many miles of section hiking. I suppose it will go somewhat faster as a thruhiker. And yes, I am once again in the obese category according to NIH and my BMI.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

I hiked SOBO through this section in 2019. From US 421 to our stealth site around mile 440 we saw two good size bears. Then at dusk we had a small bear come within 20 yds of our tent before we heard it and scared it off. I also spoke to a hiker at Abingdon gap shelter who claimed a bear carried a backpack off that was laying on the picnic table the prior evening with no fear of humans. Lots of people were staying at the rabbit hole to avoid problems. I can see this closure completely feasible from my experience in the area.

Images

Bear issues are nothing new in this area. The Watauga Lake shelter to the south was closed and eventually dismantled due to bear issues. When I hiked that section several years ago, I met a southbound hiker who claimed he'd been awakened by a bear sniffing him about 6" from his face. (I have no idea why he was sleeping with his head toward the front of the shelter.) He screamed and it ran off. I stayed at Abingdon Gap shelter the following night with no issues.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Bear issues are nothing new in this area. The Watauga Lake shelter to the south was closed and eventually dismantled due to bear issues. When I hiked that section several years ago, I met a southbound hiker who claimed he'd been awakened by a bear sniffing him about 6" from his face. (I have no idea why he was sleeping with his head toward the front of the shelter.) He screamed and it ran off. I stayed at Abingdon Gap shelter the following night with no issues.
    The few times I’ve slept in a shelter I’ve slept with my head towards the front because I’ve seen mice run across peoples face while sleeping with their head near the wall. Rather have them running around my feet.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    The few times I’ve slept in a shelter I’ve slept with my head towards the front because I’ve seen mice run across peoples face while sleeping with their head near the wall. Rather have them running around my feet.
    Exactly. Who wants mice exploring their ears? Or taking a nap in their hair? Or tickling their nostrils with their whiskers? Not me!

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    This from the ATC.

"Due to a report of an aggressive bear near Abingdon Gap Shelter, Cherokee National Forest officials have closed the A.T. to all camping between Low Gap/U.S. 421 and the Tennessee/Virginia state line (NOBO miles 455.7 to 467.0). The previous camping closure between U.S. 321 and Wilbur Dam Road (NOBO miles 428.6 to 433.0) is still in effect. All area visitors should use caution, pack out all trash and food scraps, and never leave food unattended. Overnight hikers should plan their itineraries accordingly to avoid camping in these sections."
    "Black bears on the Trail are increasingly active at the moment since they are building fat reserves for the winter. Depending on natural food availability, they may be having a hard time achieving their goals. If they do find a good food source, they can be less timid and more willing to “protect” it from anything they view as competition."

There are also a couple of trails and shelters closed in the Smoky Mountains for the same reason.

is this more of a suggestion or a rule? I plan on hiking a section they have closed in a few weeks and its a long stretch I would have to hike without camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post
    is this more of a suggestion or a rule? I plan on hiking a section they have closed in a few weeks and its a long stretch I would have to hike without camping.
    I think it is pretty clear that it is a rule, not a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I think it is pretty clear that it is a rule, not a suggestion.
    Yes, and I imagine the hefty fines that accompany violation of Forest Service rules will apply.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

This closure was due to a previous bear issue in the area. The camping restriction then was from Double Springs Shelter all way to the Backbone Rock Trail junction.

This is a new camping restriction from US421 to the stateline.

The Watauga lake shore restriction has been effect for 10 years or so. And caused the Shelter to be removed.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 11-04-2022 at 12:19.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stone1984 View Post
    Contact the Rabbit Hole and/or Boots Off Hostels on sectioning suggestions. As long as you hostel up or camp south of 421, you can do 421 to Damascus in a long day with the rolling ridgeline. Trail runners try Watauga Lake to Damascus in a day run.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

In summer 2021 we planned to do Watauga Lake to Damascus, but the Double Springs Shelter-Backbone Rock Trail junction closure forced us to change our plans. We did Low Gap to the lake in one hike, and the guy who shuttled us from Boots Off to Low Gap told us about "the problem bear" who was known to be in the area. We returned a few weeks later to do Low Gap to Damascus in a day hike, and sure enough we saw the bear. Or at least a bear. Sitting right in the middle of the trail, like he was waiting on us and wanted to see what food we were carrying. He moved off eventually, but there's no doubt there up there keeping an eye on the trail.

Why is the bear the problem? Aren’t humans the trespassers? I’m surprised more bears don’t call the sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Why is the bear the problem? Aren’t humans the trespassers? I’m surprised more bears don’t call the sheriff.
    That would be unbearable....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++