WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    [FONT="]Product Dimensions ‏ : ‎ [/FONT][FONT="][/FONT][FONT="]6.44 x 6.44 x 5.13 inches

Attachment 49656

Easily held in place against your body with 2 fingers. Large opening for accurate pee placement. Has snap on lid that hold firm. [/FONT]
    What do you do with the leftover fingers then?

I'm one of those older guys who typically needs to get out every 5-6hrs, so while hiking it might be two breaks.
    When the weather is fine, I just get out and do the business.
    When its nasety outside I'm using a 400ml plastic bottle with a wide mouth that came from some soft drink.
    Usually, I'd rinse out this bottle during the day whenever water comes in handy, so it never becomes really stinky.

One trick a friend told me is, to eat a small handfull of salted peanuts in the evening, by this telling the body "save the water, dont produce excess urine".
    Works really great! (if ever I have those salted peanuts handy while hiking)

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    I'm one of those older guys who typically needs to get out every 5-6hrs, so while hiking it might be two breaks.
    When the weather is fine, I just get out and do the business.
    When its nasety outside I'm using a 400ml plastic bottle with a wide mouth that came from some soft drink.
    Usually, I'd rinse out this bottle during the day whenever water comes in handy, so it never becomes really stinky.

One trick a friend told me is, to eat a small handfull of salted peanuts in the evening, by this telling the body "save the water, dont produce excess urine".
    Works really great! (if ever I have those salted peanuts handy while hiking)
    This study indicates reducing the amount of salt in one's diet can significantly reduce excessive peeing -- both during the day and when asleep.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0327083711.htm

The study does indeed, but they took their samples from people who have a higher than average salt intake from the beginning.

The trick with the salted peanuts does not work in a way that it rises the salt intake in general and in a substantial amount, but its just kind of signal to the body.

A quart or liter size container is at my personal upper limit for a morning void after a sound sleep. YMMV

A pint size container with a wide mouth that some hikers are already familiar with is the Talenti gelato jar, commonly used to rehydrate certain foods with cold water. The rim could easily be held between the thumb and forefinger, although this might not be the way to keep your thumb dry with the limited capacity. Some MA wish to extend the little finger, or use the middle finger for digital communication. However I expect most would strive for privacy instead.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

Please substitue "may" for "MA"
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    The study does indeed, but they took their samples from people who have a higher than average salt intake from the beginning.

The trick with the salted peanuts does not work in a way that it rises the salt intake in general and in a substantial amount, but its just kind of signal to the body.
    Here is an exerpt from another study that supports your conclusion.

“Changing salt intake affected levels of both aldosterone and glucocorticoids, the hormones found to rhythmically control the body’s salt and water balance. These, in turn, had a number of interesting effects in the body. Increasing salt intake increased sodium excretion, but also unexpectedly caused the kidney to conserve water. Excess sodium was thus released in concentrated urine. This method of protecting the body’s water was so efficient that the men actually drank less when their salt intake was highest.”

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...es-salt-levels

Thank you!

During one of my recent hikes, I've got a chance to communicate at length about a medical person about this topic, and he knew about the salted-peanuts trick and while he was younger thus not having any issue with nightly bathroom runs, he confirmed the concept of this trick, and also confirmed the observation that when its getting cold and/or rainy, the body starts to shed excess water because it assumes that there will be no further reserve necessary.

Kinda like excessive salt to dehydrate meat.
    Uh interesting conversation about pee.
    It's helpful for us older folks thanks

Images

In good weather (no rain), even when cold ---- I go out and stargaze and do my business. Bad weather it a gatorade bottle. As others have said clean well, at the end of my trip I use a bleach and water mix to clean.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

One of the main advantages to me of a pee bottle is no worries of letting any spiders in the tent while getting out in the middle of the night... of course convenience is huge to, and I'm super careful about spiders getting in anyway ; )
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I know this is an old post or thread (still trying to learn the lingo), but it amazes me the wealth of knowledge here. I've been using a Gatorade bottle for ages, never thought to ask anyone else of this subject.
    Thanks again!

I use a square ice tea bottle. Shape helps avoid any late night confusion with my drinking water bottles.

E7942F1A-DF1F-4A62-A0FC-B6298A8816BB.jpeg

Journal Entries

Gator or power aid works fine, and not going to get mixed up with the water bottles even in the dark. My hiking partner was relieved when she discovered that my pee bottle was a separate and distinct bottle from my drinking ones, as all she heard was it's use at night, till one time she asked me about that one Gatorade bottle that I always carry around empty as she would like to use it to carry extra water for a section.

In PA on one of those long stretches with no water in the summer I tried to clean my pee bottle out with a little coleman's biodegradable soap and rinsed several times. I actually carried it most of the day but before that was all I had left I opened it and smelled it and there was no way I was getting myself to drink that. I wouldn't have even cooked with it. It smelled good and clean after I rinsed it but not after carrying water for hours.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

A Gatorade bottle works great, just dont get it confused with your real Gatorade when you need a drink.......
    loose lips sink ships

Sadly, I have been unable to find a bottle with a large enough opening.

Quote Originally Posted by k2basecamp View Post
    Sadly, I have been unable to find a bottle with a large enough opening.
    Ok stop bragging

A one gallon Zip Loc slider lock bag has served me well the last few years. The large opening make the connection with the mothership a breeze. Flat bottom allows for standing upright. I just leave it standing in the vestibule of my Big Agnes Tiger Wall tent (the side opposite my entry/exit point) with a stick or rock providing some support. No problems so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++