WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default S2S Reactor liner to mitigate clammy feeling?

I seem to have a problem I am working through on my sleep system. I seem to wake up shivering sometimes, But I am not cold.

I think the 10D materials combined with a single wall shelter either makes the inside of my quilt damp or maybe I am just a sweaty sleeper?

I normally sleep in smartwool 150 Long pants and long shirt. Although if it’s over 50ish I might just go teeshirt only. Ive thought about adding a thin liner to my system.

I think most of the time it happens to me in the 50s when I sleep in minimal clothing. I don’t recall it happening when I am in the smartwool.

Normally I am not concerned and I just deal with it but lately I have been trying to extend my backpacking seasons deeper into the “ shoulder seasons“. I use a 20* quilt and a R3 pad. I am a Little worried about going out at 30* and under.

What are your thoughts?

I have a couple of the liners. The Coolmax version and the "middle weight" reactor. I can't tell you that they add much warmth to the bag, but they do provide a very soft feeling texture. When do you wake up 'shivering? Is it in the early morning hours when possibly your metabolism has slowed down and your caloric burn has decreased? I often slip my down jacket inside the sleeping bag. When I wake up "cool" early in the morning, I slip the jacket on "reverse". I put my arms through the sleeves, but have the back of the jacket on top of my torso. That provides another layer of down insulation ( provided your pad is sufficient R value for the temperature that you are camping). I've also found as soon as I "feel nature call", I go ahead and make that trip outside. Holding onto a bladder full of urine will also increase that "cold" feeling.

++ New Posts ++