WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Health and Nutrition on Longer Trips

Up to the past year or so, my hiking and backpacking trips have been limited to no longer that a week. Being retired, I've done three longer trips in the past year, two on the AT, and one mainly on the Colorado Trail. Despite interruptions for resupply (and hotel rooms on two of the three), I struggled with sleep and/or nutrition; food on the AT trips, and both sleep and food at elevation in the West. I hiked well on two of the three trips, though was a bit slow on the second AT trip. I slept pretty well on the AT trips.

On the last day of the second AT trip early last week, my stomach was uncomfortable and I found the food in my pack so distasteful that I carried it through a 12 mile hike without eating after 10 AM. I had a similar issue in Colorado/Wyoming, where I was at an isolated car camp with two friends and couldn't tolerate the dinners they made with a lot of meat. Glad the vault toilet was close by. Maybe pork chops at 10,000 feet isn't my thing.

Two food things I've noticed is that my normal salty crackers instead of bread isn't going to cut it, and cheese sat in my stomach uncomfortably once I'd been out a few days. Thinking of trying some of the prepared meals from smaller companies like pack-it gourmet, that might be a bit less processed.

What do I need to learn about sleeping and eating on longer trips? Is there anything that works for you?
    Last edited by Patrickjd9; 10-14-2022 at 09:03.

Journal Entries

At altitude I also have experienced reduced appetite. So, in the future I plan on making more use of "liquid nutrition" in the form of drink mixes added to my water bottles. If done right that could potentially help me with hydration, electrolytes, and getting calories.

A big yes for pack-it gourmet, with your issues you might try the corn chowder, chicken and dumplings, Ramen rescue, shepherds pie. And the smoothies are awesome as is the Good Day sunshine Bowl.
    As far as sleep I love my Thermarest Neo Air Xtherm MAX.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    At altitude I also have experienced reduced appetite. So, in the future I plan on making more use of "liquid nutrition" in the form of drink mixes added to my water bottles. If done right that could potentially help me with hydration, electrolytes, and getting calories.
    I carry Gatorade mix in warmer weather, but probably could have used the calories of the sugared kind at elevation. I think that a cumulative lack of calories caught up with me in Colorado, since I came home five pounds lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    A big yes for pack-it gourmet, with your issues you might try the corn chowder, chicken and dumplings, Ramen rescue, shepherds pie. And the smoothies are awesome as is the Good Day sunshine Bowl.
    As far as sleep I love my Thermarest Neo Air Xtherm MAX.
    My hiking partner on the AT hikes carries the Pack-it gourmet meals and likes them. I had a Mountain House Chicken and Dumplings on the last AT trip that gave me a weird aftertaste.

I could use the extra comfort, but I'm generally tough on gear and shy away from air mattresses. I've had two field failures, one on a Klymit and one on a Big Agnes. I might try a combo of a 1/4 inch ultrathin foam pad and an air mattress.

Good to Go meals are pretty…good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Good to Go meals are pretty…good to go.
    They look good.

They are quite tasty and seem wholesome.

“Wholesome”…just realized what a funny word that is.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    I specifically use Bai water bottles (rather than SmartWater bottles) so that I can add drink mixes. While hiking, I drink water, but for breakfast/lunch/dinner I add a drink mix like tang or koolaid. I use an impulse sealer to create my own packets... a kitchen scale that can weight in grams is what I use to measure out the right amount of drink mix for my 500ml bottle.

Ive always tested out my trail meals at home first to make sure I like them.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

On day one, I really like some good summer sausage or hard salami. After a few days, not so much. Not sure why that food in particular seems to turn on me.

From what I have read and experienced, a brief period of reduced appetite at the start of a hike is not unusual, but eventually hiker hunger takes over.

I frequently eat multiple ramen packages in one dinner, but can only tolerate one of the flavor packets. Eating more than one flavor packet tends to have a laxative effect.

After eating an entire package of hotdogs, I experienced reduced energy. I suspect preservatives in hotdogs, sausage, and other meats have an affinity for hemoglobin, as does carbon monoxide, reducing the ability of blood to transport oxygen. The preservatives that keep meat bright red come with a price.

Another problem with meat is that it tends to be harder to digest after a long period of not eating meat, in my experience. Perhaps there is a similar issue with a sudden increase in the quantity of meat eaten.

When hiking, we try to maximize calories per ounce by eating more fat and oil. This also may require a period of adjustment, based on what little I have read about keto hiking diets.

I am just guessing here. Hopefully a professional will chime in.
    Hot water, hot ramen, burning alcohol, all in my lap

That's just gross:-(

When hiking, we try to maximize calories per ounce by eating more fat and oil. This also may require a period of adjustment, based on what little I have read about keto hiking

Does take adjustment but well worth it. Lots of nuts.

I once had a friend make up group meals for a backpacking trip that included smoked cheese several times.

Haven’t touched the stuff since.

Going to need to test some new menus over the winter.

This guy has some very interesting info on nutrition for hiking. Might not necessarily help with your appetite issue, but may help you frame up what you want to think about. And a very entertaining format. They are long, so you’ll need some time to digest them.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCflIo...FmhRDDw/videos

Thank you, Hank! I've subscribed for a look later.

++ New Posts ++