WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hitching into Bennington VT

Is there much vehicle volume on Stagecoach Road just after Congdon Shelter NONBO going into Bennington? Or would it be better to wait for Highway 9, where the trailhead is further away, to go into town? Too far to walk either way, so hitching is the desired modus. If need be, would also appreciate a local shuttler to all to hedge our bets.

I didn't go into Bennington when I hiked the LT but I hiked with people who did. I'm almost 100% certain they hitched in from Hwy 9. In other locations in Vermont I didn't have any problems getting a ride and did so from the main road crossings. Hopefully others with more local knowledge will chime in but if not I would plan on hitching from Hwy 9. Good luck!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

You can't even see Stagecoach Road on Google earth. Looks to be all of three houses off the road, probably seasonal places. Just hike out to RT9.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by smithjv View Post
    Is there much vehicle volume on Stagecoach Road just after Congdon Shelter NONBO going into Bennington? Or would it be better to wait for Highway 9, where the trailhead is further away, to go into town? Too far to walk either way, so hitching is the desired modus. If need be, would also appreciate a local shuttler to all to hedge our bets.
    Rt.9 is an easy hitch into Bennington - I've done it a bunch over the years. Lots of traffic and plenty of room for a car to pull over and pick you up safely. Locals expect to see hikers on rt. 9 heading into Bennington.

Rt. 9 will be your best bet. Locals are very use to seeing and helping hikers get into town.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

You probably can yogi a ride into town at the VT-9 trailhead from a day hiker who is finishing up a hike. That's what I did my last time through.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    You probably can yogi a ride into town at the VT-9 trailhead from a day hiker who is finishing up a hike. That's what I did my last time through.
    Has anyone tried sending packages to the Woodford General Store about 3.5 miles to the east on VT-9? I assume they might take packages if one planned to pick up vittles there??

Quote Originally Posted by smithjv View Post
    Has anyone tried sending packages to the Woodford General Store about 3.5 miles to the east on VT-9? I assume they might take packages if one planned to pick up vittles there??
    Woodford General Store supports thru-hikers | Community News | benningtonbanner.com - This article was published earlier in Sept in the local paper - doesn't mention packages, but a good point to start for contacts and such, plus it does describe some things that they do offer for hikers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb As everyone says: Go to Highway 9

There's actually a bus that goes from the trailhead on Highway 9 into Bennington
    https://greenmountainexpress.com/emerald-line/
    When I was waiting for that bus, two people offered me rides into town -- even though I wasn't even trying to get a ride! So my guess is that hitching a ride wouldn't be a problem.

++ New Posts ++