WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I got the Feathered Friends nano 20 I think it was, also they called it that but I don't think it was a specific 20 degree rating. I'm good at 20 degrees in that without much on, with my base layers on I'm good in the single digits then I use the down jacket either on or extra around my head and I've been good down to 0 sleeping comfortably. A little trick if your not tight on weight just pack a few hand warmers, especially when your testing out for the first time. It's like a little heater in there, will warm you right up. I did not use hand warmers at the temps I mentioned but I was glad I packed some when I had my 35 degree Western Mountaineering and they were calling for 17 degrees!

When on a multi day hike with a down bag you want to take it out and fluff it up as soon as you get to camp, and repeat fluffing, turning it and even give it some sun if you have the chance. Just your body heat with it inside the tent will help a lot as long as it isn't too bad. Sometimes my bag looked pretty wet and droopy when I took it out but taking care of it like mentioned above worked pretty quick and well.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Agreed, Feathered Friends has the best reputation. Also Western Mountaineering.

If you want to spend less, look toward the REI Magma lineup.

Beyond that, the Kelty Cosmic is probably the best budget down bag.

Quilts are an increasingly popular alternative. Eventually I think more people will be using quilts than sleeping bags. For these, look toward Enlightened Equipment and Katabatic Gear. Featherstone Outdoor Products also makes a budget quilt.

A 'sleeper' brand that is slightly off the radar for many backpackers is HammockGear... for obvious reasons. But their quilts are well made, reasonably priced and generally pretty accurate as temp ratings go. And they have a very affordable Econ line that offers very solid quilts, just a little heavier shell and a bit lower FP (I think 800FP) which not all that many years ago was considered premium.

Images

Back when I bought my 3 season sleeping bag 3 brands were recommended, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Montbell. My Montbell bag is about 20 years old and still does a good job. I'm sure there are other good options now too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++