WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How Much Did You Increase Your Dog's Caloric Intake on the Trail

I am looking for feedback from folks who have thru hiked with dogs. I will be hiking next year with my guide dog. He is a lab. I will be doing mail drops with dog food in them and am wondering at what point I will need start really increasing food rations for him. I know dogs metabolize food differently than humans and they don't get "hiker hunger" in quite the same way. I will obviously be checking with my vet on this but know they might not know. And of course, I will check in with vets along our hike and make sure he is at a healthy weight the whole time. And for those who think dogs don't belong on the trail--my dog's happiness, safety, and wellbeing are my top priorities. If he is not happy hiking then we will get off the trail.

if you don't get a good response from here you might want to reach out to Steve of the podcast Mighty Blue on The Appalachian Trail and ask him if he can pose that question to Trumpet. Trumpet was hiking the AT this year with his dog FrankE. I met them in GA at Tray Mtn Shelter. FrankE was probably the best trail dog I ever met. And Trumpet definitely seemed to put FrankE's health and wellness at the forefront of his journey. I believe he skipped the Smokies because dogs aren't allowed unless they are service animals.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

You say Guide Dog. So you have some official papers that shows the dog has been trained and such? Only reason I bring it up is you still need to check all the rules. In the National Parks (Shenandoah where dogs are allowed, but all the Nat Parks) you still need the dog on a leash. In the Great Smoky's and also in Baxter in Maine, dog's are not allowed unless a Service Dog. Many places have also decided to get specific and checking on "Service Animals". In the last 10 years, people were just printing off certificates and claiming all sorts of stuff.

I've read about people also using puppy chow to assist with the dog on long hikes. Higher fat content. You are on the right track in talking with the vet and getting their input. As you hike, you will also want to stay aware of the dog's health. And stop into a vet along the trail for a quick checkup for the dog.

I'm reading "Northbound with Theo" right now. It's a good read. Not your typical daily log of the adventure. The photo's of him and Theo are great.
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nor...-jd/1139675519
    You should also read "Blind Courage" by Bill Irwin. He was almost completely blind and hiked with "Orient". It's a great read.
    https://www.amazon.com/Blind-Courage...s%2C112&sr=8-1

Sorry but I don't have knowledge of your question. Bust of luck to you.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Thank you. That is a great suggestion.

++ New Posts ++