WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Question for people

A close friend and I are planning our thru-hike for the middle of March 2023. I have most of my gear minus a few odds and ends and taken it out for a few days with more on the books. I feel like now I just want knowledge and am looking for a good couple of books on the AT. I have done research but I feel like a good guidebook that I can physically hold would help things stick better. I have seen the ones on here and thru friends and youtube but they all seem a few years old and maybe outdated was wondering if there was a modern one for the upcoming year. And has anyone gotten the guidebook I see all over the site and what are your thoughts on it.Secondly, I am a big man and anytime I hike with friends I always get eaten up by ticks and mosquitoes more than my friends. Without Fail ill find anywhere between 1-5 ticks more than my friends on average. As a result, I am looking into permethrin and DEET to help with that on the trail. So my main question regarding this is do they work and if not what are some nice alternatives?

Journal Entries
    Images

Headnet for mosquitos after you have been on the trail a good while — no need to start with it.

These from day one, since they are so light. I have used them with VERY good results for both regular size ticks and the oft mentioned poppy seed size ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Tick-Twister-...00X7072HY?th=1

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb About avoiding insect bites

> I am looking into permethrin and DEET

Like you, mosquitoes want my blood more than the Red Cross does. I've also had Lyme Disease, and NEVER want to have it again.

What I've done is spray permethrin on knee-high socks, as well as on my shirt sleeves; along with DEET on all exposed skin. Some people prefer picardin, a choice that works about as well as DEET. The number of mosquito bites has gone from once or twice a day to an average of less than once per week.

I have and use the White Blaze Pages and love it. I particularly like the elevation profile better than other guidebooks. The info is great. I use it for planning. I also use GutHook on trail. Wait, it's not GutHook anymore. It's called FarOut now. Can use it in airplane mode to conserve battery on your phone.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

As Lone Wolf posted, that guide. Currently there is last years. Pre-order starts later in the year for the following year. There are three good options to get them. If you want the 2022 bound version for planning, get it now. Then next year's options. And you may do all three!

1) They publish a Bound version, both North bound and South. Get that for planning and for any home-base support person to have
    2) they publish a loose sheet version which comes with some heavy duty ziplock bags. Get that and take the few hundred miles where you will be starting from. Have Home-Base mail you the next sections as you move north (or south).

3) they have a PDF version and you can download that to your smart phone.

there are lots of posts on forums about using Permethrin to treat your cloths. The dilute and dunk method, the spray method and others.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Not on the AT, but we have ticks here in the Alps too, and they deliver not only Lyme, but also a very nasty kind of Enzephalitis.
    Since I learned about Permethrin here on WB, and started using it on my pants, I never had a tick sucking on me again.
    As a side not: I'm using long pants in "light sand"-color exclusively.

++ New Posts ++