WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    There were a few nuggets of wisdom decades ago when I started lightening my load. One was to get the lighter pack last, after you'd pared everything else down. I've seen a few people cramming too much stuff into a light pack and be unhappy about it.

Another was to reduce clothing to the point where you can wear everything at the same time, as part of a coordinated layering system.

Another was managing consumables, and that was perhaps the hardest lesson for me. Don't bring extra food or fuel. You won't get in serious trouble if you skip a meal. Don't carry extra water if there's plenty on the ground, which is often the case on the AT.

Another was to spend a lot of money on the sleeping bag, and get the best down you can afford.

I had to look up the volume of my pack--it's a 42L Gossamer Gear G4. I've hiked 200+ miles/eight days between resupplies with it. The final gear change that allowed me to do that was going stoveless. That and many of my techniques aren't for everyone, but they work for me. You'll need to develop your own system and it will take time and a few gear changes.
    Wow! Some good ideas there

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seesfar View Post
    So in an effort to save space I bought several sea to summit lightweight compression bags. One for tent, one for clothing, one for sleeping bag.
    So maybe, as was mentioned by some, the several different bags are defeated my intent. ?
    And thanks to all
    Yeah, sort of self-defeating. Does a tent really need to be compressed by a bag that adds several ounces to your pack? And severe compression can damage sleeping bag insulation (and some clothing too I guess).

One can go overboard with organizing. I was taking a rainy afternoon break in a shelter and a section hiker I'd been walking with asked for a pack shakedown. We found about 30 stuff sacks, which weighed several pounds and filled up a large stuff sack all by themselves. There were stuff sacks within stuff sacks, sometimes nested three deep, like in his first aid kit and camera bag. He admitted he's an organizing freak. By comparison, I had one bag for food and one for clothing, and my first aid kit was a snack-sized baggie.

Default Sleeping Bag

I think I’m going to hit Santa up for a good down bag. My bag is synthetic. Seems light enough but it’s old and it’s time to move on.
    So a twenty degree bag… what does that mean in real life? Comfortable at 30?

Yes, depends on whether you are a "hot" or "cold" sleeper. You might have to add a layer or remove one As far as stuff sacks go, I have seen thru-hikers with only one or two stuff sacks. Food and personal items. If you have an internal pack liner[meant to keep everything dry], you can just stuff clothing and sleeping bag into the pack where you want without using compression sacks. You'd be surprised how this fills out the little empty corners without taking up too much space. Might be an experiment?

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Yeah, sort of self-defeating. Does a tent really need to be compressed by a bag that adds several ounces to your pack? And severe compression can damage sleeping bag insulation (and some clothing too I guess).

One can go overboard with organizing. I was taking a rainy afternoon break in a shelter and a section hiker I'd been walking with asked for a pack shakedown. We found about 30 stuff sacks, which weighed several pounds and filled up a large stuff sack all by themselves. There were stuff sacks within stuff sacks, sometimes nested three deep, like in his first aid kit and camera bag. He admitted he's an organizing freak. By comparison, I had one bag for food and one for clothing, and my first aid kit was a snack-sized baggie.
    For my tent I bought the pariah mesh tent and a tarp from Sea to Summit that weighs less than a pound as I recall. I’m under 2 pounds for the tent plus tarp. Use my hiking poles for tent poles. So the mesh tent, I thought I could make it smaller with a compression bag but I think now that laying mesh tent out in the bottom of the pack would work fine.

AH, the great sleeping bag temp rating debate! As noted, everyone sleeps different. And temps while being identical, feel different. 40 degrees and 100 percent humidity and under 5 MPH winds, feels different than 40 degrees, 50 percent humidity and 25 gusting to 40 MPH winds.
    There has also been much debate over manufactures temp ratings. When they say 20, is that you might not freeze in that bag if it's 20 degrees or is that its comfortable to a cold sleeper at 20? Or is the 20 degree rating that the person running the sleeping bag company, slept in it at that temp and was relatively comfortable?
    A lightweight silk bag liner is sometimes a good idea. On really hot Texas nights, I've just used the bag liner.

I'd originally used the "Gear Grams" site for planning. But they went ka-blooy a while back so I had to build Lighterpack. Watch a few YouTube video's on how to build your list. Think about it also, how you wish it organized and the amount of effort to put into it. You can use the manufacturer weights on stuff, but I try and weigh mine on a postal scale I bought. You might also want to build a master list. I believe some who have already posted here did just that. Then you can build different "Trip" packing list and see how things look. A trip in the winter will be using different items than a summer trip.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by hikermiker View Post
    I'm 76 and can get all my gear and food for a multiday trip in a 30 liter bag. Join reddit/ultralight and post your gear list and ask for a shakedown.
    That is incredible

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    AH, the great sleeping bag temp rating debate! As noted, everyone sleeps different. And temps while being identical, feel different. 40 degrees and 100 percent humidity and under 5 MPH winds, feels different than 40 degrees, 50 percent humidity and 25 gusting to 40 MPH winds.
    There has also been much debate over manufactures temp ratings. When they say 20, is that you might not freeze in that bag if it's 20 degrees or is that its comfortable to a cold sleeper at 20? Or is the 20 degree rating that the person running the sleeping bag company, slept in it at that temp and was relatively comfortable?
    A lightweight silk bag liner is sometimes a good idea. On really hot Texas nights, I've just used the bag liner.

I'd originally used the "Gear Grams" site for planning. But they went ka-blooy a while back so I had to build Lighterpack. Watch a few YouTube video's on how to build your list. Think about it also, how you wish it organized and the amount of effort to put into it. You can use the manufacturer weights on stuff, but I try and weigh mine on a postal scale I bought. You might also want to build a master list. I believe some who have already posted here did just that. Then you can build different "Trip" packing list and see how things look. A trip in the winter will be using different items than a summer trip.
    I will do that. Good info thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Yes, depends on whether you are a "hot" or "cold" sleeper. You might have to add a layer or remove one As far as stuff sacks go, I have seen thru-hikers with only one or two stuff sacks. Food and personal items. If you have an internal pack liner[meant to keep everything dry], you can just stuff clothing and sleeping bag into the pack where you want without using compression sacks. You'd be surprised how this fills out the little empty corners without taking up too much space. Might be an experiment?
    👍🏼 Sounds very good

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    Post a list of everything you have in your pack. Maybe include pictures. You are likely just carrying too much stuff. And then the big things like tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat are the best way to reduce weight. If you haven't been backpacking in many years you likely need to look at ALL your gear. Be sure to include the climate you are backpacking in so no one says "a pair of shorts and an extra pair of socks is more than enough clothes" when you are in mountains in the winter.
    I pack 4 days, 3 seasons on the AT, with food, water, and a "heavy stove" at about 22lbs. Although I think my last trip was actually planned for 5 days and I was under 20lbs.
    If you can afford the light weight gear, it's totally worth it IMO.
    Thank You! Good info. I’m absorbing it all.

I’m up in the woods and cellular is limited
    I’ll try to post some pics

And I’m sure it’s obvious I don’t know how to run the site. (I told you I was old &#128512

If you have a synthetic fill bag, that is the problem. Down will compress much smaller and be much lighter. For a price.
    The tent might also be a problem. A single wall, trekking pole supported, single person tent has the smallest packed volume and weight. I use the SMD Sil-nylon "Trekker" as a compromise between weight and cost.

I can fit all I need in a 45L park, but that's spring/summer camping and going kind of minimalist.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

How do you go about posting photos on this site please?

Quote Originally Posted by Seesfar View Post
    How do you go about posting photos on this site please?
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...Posting-Photos <<< Try clicking that.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++