WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rv campsites nearest to AT

My husband will be meeting up with me every 5-7 days in RV and wondering where are the best places for him to camp while he waits for me? We have 2 big dogs and a 35' rv. Any suggestions? From Georgia to McAfee Knob in March.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You will be looking more toward towns, nearby state parks, or established campgrounds.

RV camping overnight at trailheads is technically frowned upon. Some of the trailheads are just a small parking or just a pull off. Some FSRs can be in conditions that are not favorable for RVs.

Here is the AT parking database
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_menu.aspx
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacjoyce View Post
    My husband will be meeting up with me every 5-7 days in RV and wondering where are the best places for him to camp while he waits for me? We have 2 big dogs and a 35' rv. Any suggestions? From Georgia to McAfee Knob in March.
    this campground is right next to the AT in Damascus,Va. https://www.damascuscreeksiderv.com/

KOA in Harpers Ferry almost right on trail.

Awesome! thank you!

Great information and thank you!

right on the trail in Hot Springs, N.C. https://www.nchotsprings.com/accommodations/

Journal Entries
    Images

Get the free app FreeRoam, it will tell you all the camping options for any place you type in. I use it every February from Death Valley, to Sedona, Tombstone, Four Corners, Zion & beyond. It's invaluable!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Standing Indian Campground, you can camp there and there are various blue blazes to the AT from the campground, or you can get right on the AT at Rock Gap, just up the road from the campground.

Get the Allstays Camp&RV app (Apple devices only, no Android version), and a good map of the Appalachian trail that has enough details to show towns and roads along the route.
    https://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm
    The Allstays app shows campgrounds on an interactive map. Find an area you want to check out on the AT map, then zoom to that area in the Allstays app. Campgrounds will be displayed on the map, and touching one opens up an information box with basic campground details, and links to pictures, cg website, reviews, etc. You can also set filters for cg types (independent, state parks, Corps, etc.), and amenities like hookups available.

OMG! This looks awesome!!! Definitely going to book there!

Good information. I will try that, I have android. Thank you so much.

Great thanks. will do this also!

Is this big enough for a large RV?

We were doing a bit of this, this summer. For us, because he works full time, and we have a separate vehicle that I drive when we relocate we parked for 5 weeks at a time. I only hiked 3-4 days at a time. And we relocated after 5 weeks generally. Then I did too much downhill too soon and ended 1 trip 1.5 days into a planned 5 day hike. He picked me up in Tellico Gap (not a pickup place I would recommend) and I rested until we relocated to Damascus. Then I CRUSHED 39 miles in 3 days and ended my hiking for the summer because I was too dumb to turn around on day 3 and take the easy 4.5 miles back to a road crossing and instead did about 13 miles with about 4.5 miles down hill at the end of that section (which took me 3 hours DOWN HILL!). I would have had another 4 weeks of hiking if I hadn't been so pig headed. But that time we were based out of Damascus at Laurel Creek RV Park. My dumb decision ended my hiking for the month of May and the rest of the summer basically while I rehab.

If you don't need a lot of cell service/internet for work (like my husband does) you can easily stay closer than we did to the trail.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Good to learn from others!! Thank you.

311 just below McAffee Knob and at Dragons Tooth are quite busy, not just on weekends.

724 is shoulder parking and not ideal maybe in a pinch.

Trail crossing south of pickle branch shelter is along an unpaved road that is not suitable for such a rig.

If you were going father north than mcaffee id have more info for you

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Get the Allstays Camp&RV app (Apple devices only, no Android version), and a good map of the Appalachian trail that has enough details to show towns and roads along the route.
    https://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm
    The Allstays app shows campgrounds on an interactive map. Find an area you want to check out on the AT map, then zoom to that area in the Allstays app. Campgrounds will be displayed on the map, and touching one opens up an information box with basic campground details, and links to pictures, cg website, reviews, etc. You can also set filters for cg types (independent, state parks, Corps, etc.), and amenities like hookups available.
    If you have Android devices there is a web based version for $34.95/year (the Apple app is a one time $10). You could get the web based version for the year you are doing this.

https://www.allstays.com/DL/

Oops there goes my attention deficient disorder kicking in again you want from Georgia to McAfee know. Sorry.

Just gotta say I've always wanted to do a long trail like you and your husband plan to. My wife's not much of a hiker, but it would be great to have her follow along with me, not to mention making the logistics of resupply so much easier and having a nice bed to crash in whenever you want.
    It is what it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++