WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lets talk about Laurel Highlands Trail

Trying to learn more about the Laurel Highlands Trail. Seems to easy to be true as far as planning; pre reservable shelters every 6-12 miles.

Anything notable I should know? What is water access like? SOBO or NOBO?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I hiked it years ago. Don’t remember water ever being an issue. Nice trail. I got turned around a bit at the ski resort; it wasn’t real well marked thru there at the time. Fall is a nice time to hike it.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I started researching after posting. Seems like there are well heads or something to get water.

I wonder how the weather is. I notice the shuttle from that rafting place stops Nov 1 because of winter weather.

I have hiked/run it many times. It’s well blazed. The shelters need to be reserved. I do not recommend using the water from the hand pumps. Some sites will clog your filter due to high sediments. I recommend filtering the stream water.

I’m planning a sobo later this month, then down the GAP and c&o unless I get bored. The tip about the pumps is useful, I guess I could bring a pre filter to reduce sediment, in case the streams are low. I recall some long dry ridge walks on the AT in PA that only worked due to water caching by trail angels.

X2 on the water pumps - the Turnpike shelter is the worst. All seem to taste rusty. There’s a spigot just south of Seven Springs.

Route 31 shelter is near a rock quarry that has construction trucks working 24/7.

Search for several trail reviews on YouTube. Outdoor Adventures channel did a good thru hike video several years ago.

https://youtu.be/mXETem5KY_0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the taste and discoloration of the water is from iodine ejection system to make the water safe. Just like the hand pumps on the c&o canal. I remember when I did the canal on bike the further I towards Cumberland it was terrible nothing could hide the taste.

I thought I've seen someone use iodine pills and "stabilizer " does that get rid of the iodine taste? And can you take iodine destabilizing on such trips?

Journal Entries

"...And can you take iodine destabilizing on such trips?" Of course you can.

Decades ago, before filters and chemical alternatives such as Aqua Mira largely replaced them in the backpacker market, iodine tablets (still sold at Walmart as Potable Agua) were widely used by long distance hikers. Many people complained about iodine's taste so those little pills are now often sold bundled with separate bottles of vitamin C tablets that are used to correct the taste. But, the instructions make it clear that the water must first be purified for a while (at least 30 minutes in my opinion, with more time being better ) using just the iodine tablets before the separate "taste neutralizing" tablets are added. At that point the iodine is unfortunately no long able to kill microbes.

Does anyone know if the streams will be running this time of year?

++ New Posts ++