WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How crowded Imp Shelter late June?

Section hiker asking: I'm going up to finish up the Whites on Monday for a few days and am toying with the idea of leaving my tent home to cut down on weight. My question is: how likely is it that I'll get room in the Imp shelter? If it's likely to be full up I'll bring my tent. Am also planning to eat cold food for the first time and leave my stove and fuel home. Yuck but I'll survive.

Thanks in advance.

Booker

Big shelter, but NOBOs will be coming thru.

Stay at huts and you can eat hot food…that someone else carries in for you. Not cheap, but you’re worth it. Join AMC for a pretty good discount.

Have to admit I’d at least want a bivy up there, even if I was planning on hut stays.

Weekday you'll be fine. Weekend, maybe not so.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

So what happens if its full?. What happens if you can not make it there due to injury?. You may not need to bring a tent but you should either plan for perfect weather or have some sort of cover like a lightweight tarp. There are youth programs that routinely visit the whites and some of them use shelters, they may or may not leave space for thruhikers but probably not weekend warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    So what happens if its full?. . . .
    Completely agree with peakbagger. Even if someone on the internet tells you its not usually full, what is your plan if you show up and it is? I recommend you bring a shelter when doing a multi-day hike and cut weight elsewhere if you want to go lighter.

Anyway hope you enjoy your hike as that is a beautiful section of trail!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    So what happens if its full?
    Then you're pretty much screwed. While there are a couple of small clear spaces just big enough to lay down in along the trail south of the shelter, those may also be in use if the shelter and tent platforms are full. You're on a narrow ridge with dense scrub pine trees, big rocks and wet bogs at the low points on the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++