WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Possible New Lyme's Disease Vaccine

A new Lyme's disease vaccine is entering clinical trials:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...rial-rcna41740
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

All that's needed now are vaccines for the other 10-15 diseases spread by ticks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, another experimental vaccine!!! Where do we line up??
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    In Pennsylvania, apparently, the nearest trial site to me, in southeast Tennessee. Unfortunately.
    Scoff all you want but all approved drugs were once experimental. I, for one, think a safe and effective lyme disease vaccine would be great. As well as any other preventions or treatments for other tick-related diseases.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    I, for one, think a safe and effective lyme disease vaccine would be great. As well as any other preventions or treatments for other tick-related diseases.
    Whenever I have an embedded tick, I ALWAYS call my doc when I leave the forest & she immediately calls in a script for me. I forget what the med is? It's that simple for me.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Whenever I have an embedded tick, I ALWAYS call my doc when I leave the forest & she immediately calls in a script for me. I forget what the med is? It's that simple for me.
    For early Lyme disease, a short course of oral antibiotics, such as doxycycline or amoxicillin, cures the majority of cases.

Doxycycline is the normal treatment. Major caveat is that Doxy causes the user to have a major increase in sunlight sensitivity so no hiking until off the Doxy

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Doxycycline is the normal treatment. Major caveat is that Doxy causes the user to have a major increase in sunlight sensitivity so no hiking until off the Doxy
    I've backpacked in the middle of taking a full course of Doxy. I rate the experience 0/10 Stars, do not recommend.

It's impractical for me to join the clinical trial, but I'll gladly get the Lyme jab as soon as it's available.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Entered the study today at JHU in Baltimore.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

I would have had to pay a doctor more than hundreds of times for imbeded ticks and be on ~penicillin all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    I would have had to pay a doctor more than hundreds of times for imbeded ticks and be on ~penicillin all my life.
    Prevention is better than doxycycline prophylaxis, I use permethrin treated clothes on lower body and a spritz of picardin on skin. Eukolyptus/lemon oil looks like a promising alternative if you don’t like picardin. I made it through the AT with only 1 embedded tick and 2 doses of doxy. Picardin also kept the hordes of mosquitoes away in those swampy parts of Massachusetts during a really wet year, with a headnet at times.

I tried switching to Picaridin and accidentally got some in my eye from wiping sweat off my brow. It screwed up my eyes for close to a day. Its a known side effect but not worth that potential side effect when 30% Deet works.

I tried switching to Picaridin and accidentally got some in my eye from wiping sweat off my brow. It screwed up my eyes for close to a day. Its a known side effect but not worth that potential side effect when 30% Deet works.
    I wouldn’t use anything on my forehead, my permethrin treated hat takes care of that area. I’m guessing deet on the forehead wouldn’t be great on a hot day, but I’ve never tried it.

I definitely did not intentionally put anything on my forehead. it was indirect transfer from some on my hands and it wasnt like I immediately applied it and then moved to wipe my brow off. I think I had experienced burning eyes to a lesser amount previously but nowhere near as painful as the second time. I have never experienced anything like the "burn" from Picaridin in the eyes with DEET. BTW permethrin treated clothing does not really do much if at all to drive off the infamous black flies in the Maine and northern NH woods that will be making their annual return in about 2 or 3 weeks. Properly applied DEET on every piece of exposed skin keeps them from biting but they still swarm and will tyr to land and crawl up into untreated areas of skin to bite. In many cases, about the only thing that works is a head net or bug suit treated with DEET.

I definitely did not intentionally put anything on my forehead. it was indirect transfer from some on my hands and it wasnt like I immediately applied it and then moved to wipe my brow off. I think I had experienced burning eyes to a lesser amount previously but nowhere near as painful as the second time. I have never experienced anything like the "burn" from Picaridin in the eyes with DEET. BTW permethrin treated clothing does not really do much if at all to drive off the infamous black flies in the Maine and northern NH woods that will be making their annual return in about 2 or 3 weeks. Properly applied DEET on every piece of exposed skin keeps them from biting but they still swarm and will tyr to land and crawl up into untreated areas of skin to bite. In many cases, about the only thing that works is a head net or bug suit treated with DEET.
    I flashed to a scene in one of the "Ocean's" movies. The computer nerd (like me) has the map of the hallways to get to the server room, drawn on his palm. While working he is sweating and wipes his forehead......with the hand. He notices when he is trying to navigate back out and it's all smeared.....on his forehead.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Got it. Your point about black flies is well-taken, a headnet is better than repellants, although hotter. I use the Picardin spray, keep it away from eyes, and mainly rely on it for leg protection from climbing ticks by treating tops of socks and pants. I will also spritze my hat with it. Living in the south, I just usually avoid black fly season in the north so I don’t have to deal with what you do, I’m most concerned about from tick and mosquito vectors.

Journal Entries

Let’s hope it’s successful…
    Lyme Disease ended my thru hike in 2010, twelve hundred miles in, just past Pine Grove Furnace area in PA…
    felt really fatigued and all kinds of joint aches that I thought were just weary knees( I was 56 at the time)
    Returned home and my wife saw a huge bulls eye on my lower back,
    Travelling solo so no one had spotted it.
    A massive Antibiotic shot, Doxycycline treatment for a month, then another month of Doxycycline….
    I’ve been back and done pretty much the whole trail but I totally lost that ‘thru hiker’ vibe, getting super fit and being able to just keep going.
    Love the AT, going back with my son in May to redo the Nantahala Basin, though clockwise, he wants to see why I am so obsessed with the AT!
    Use permethrin and check yourself nightly, Lyme Disease can really suck!

I've tried unsuccessfully with a few local places to get a script for Doxy to carry with me on hikes so I can start popping as soon as I get bit. Seems they prefer you to pull the tick, bring it in, they send it off for testing, and based on the results of the test they'll prescribe Doxy.

We had a bout of strep in the family last year, and luckily we have some extra Amoxicyllin leftover from that, so that will serve as my prophylaxis if needed.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I've tried unsuccessfully with a few local places to get a script for Doxy to carry with me on hikes so I can start popping as soon as I get bit. Seems they prefer you to pull the tick, bring it in, they send it off for testing, and based on the results of the test they'll prescribe Doxy.

We had a bout of strep in the family last year, and luckily we have some extra Amoxicyllin leftover from that, so that will serve as my prophylaxis if needed.
    You should always take the full dose of a prescribed antibiotic. Not doing so, even if tou feel better, is how resistant strands of bacteria develop. From the FDA:

Follow Directions for Proper Use

When you are prescribed an antibiotic to treat a bacterial infection, it's important to take the medication exactly as directed. Here are more tips to promote proper use of antibiotics.

• Take the antibiotics as prescribed. It's important to take the medication as prescribed by your doctor, even if you are feeling better. If treatment stops too soon, and you become sick again, the remaining bacteria may become resistant to the antibiotic that you've taken.
    • Do not skip doses. Antibiotics are most effective when they are taken as prescribed.
    • Do not save antibiotics. You might think that you can save an antibiotic for the next time you get sick, but an antibiotic is meant for your particular infection at the time. Never take leftover medicine. Taking the wrong medicine can delay getting the appropriate treatment and may allow your condition to worsen.
    • Do not take antibiotics prescribed for someone else. These may not be appropriate for your illness, may delay correct treatment, and may allow your condition to worsen.
    • Talk with your health care professional. Ask questions, especially if you are uncertain about when an antibiotic is appropriate or how to take it.
    • All drugs have side effects. Let your health care professional know if you have new or unusual symptoms or side effects. You might need to stop the antibiotic causing a troublesome side effect and complete treatment with a different antibiotic.

++ New Posts ++