WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Powdered eggs and powdered milk.

I did a search and nothing came back. It just returned me back to the beginning here of the cooking and food forum again.

Has anyone carried and used powdered eggs on trail and also powdered milk?
    If so how was it for you, positive?
    Still planning out and researching menu items for my '23 thru-hike. Thanks!

MM
    “I did it. I said I'd do it and I've done it.” ~Grandma Gatewood
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

Never used the powdered eggs except for mixes when I occasionally carried a backpacking oven. I did use Nido powdered milk on several trips, its a definite improvement over regular powdered milk which is fat free. Nido has spray dried fat in it. Regular powdered milk can be improved by adding coffee creamer which is spray dried fat, milk solids and flavoring. Both are an acquired taste compared to milk from a bottle, but after a day or two it goes good with cereal in the morning and works pretty good for Jello instant pudding. I split up the Jello instant pudding into two servings at home and add the powdered milk at home and put it in a ziplock bag. When I am at the campsite I just add the coldest water I can find, shake it, let it sit while I am making supper and then just clip off the corner of the bag and squeeze it into my mouth. No clean up.

On one of my section hikes, I met a crew of thru hikers in Maine who were obsessed by kids breakfast cereal. Some had Count Chocula, some Cocoa Puffs and some had Captain Crunch and all of them mixed it with Nido for breakfast.

Great insight and a lot to soak up. Ha! I made a funny
    Of course I am going to be test driving all this stuff in planning out my hobo cooking. Scrambled eggs would make a nice addition to the regular staples list along with my Quaker instant grits and pancakes.

MM
    “I did it. I said I'd do it and I've done it.” ~Grandma Gatewood
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

The powdered dehydrated eggs are rubbery and not so good.
    The freeze dried eggs are much better Google ova easy freeze dried eggs makes scramble eggs taste just like at home.
    And I do like Nido mix with protein powder.

We used to do blueberry corn muffins up at the backcountry campsites at Baxter State Park with blueberries we picked. The muffin mixes we used had powdered eggs mixed in but they normally needed powdered milk. The one exception was Dromedary Ginger Bread mix (no longer made). That was great stuff!

Journal Entries
    Images

+1 on the Nido and instant pudding.

when I’ve carried Cheerios for breakfast I mix the Nido separately and pour into the Cheerios. I cannot even imagine mixing the Cheerios and Nido and then pouring water into my Cheerios. ( The Lone Ranger never did that )

RangerZ

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Never used the powdered eggs except for mixes when I occasionally carried a backpacking oven. I did use Nido powdered milk on several trips, its a definite improvement over regular powdered milk which is fat free. Nido has spray dried fat in it. Regular powdered milk can be improved by adding coffee creamer which is spray dried fat, milk solids and flavoring. Both are an acquired taste compared to milk from a bottle, but after a day or two it goes good with cereal in the morning and works pretty good for Jello instant pudding. I split up the Jello instant pudding into two servings at home and add the powdered milk at home and put it in a ziplock bag. When I am at the campsite I just add the coldest water I can find, shake it, let it sit while I am making supper and then just clip off the corner of the bag and squeeze it into my mouth. No clean up.

On one of my section hikes, I met a crew of thru hikers in Maine who were obsessed by kids breakfast cereal. Some had Count Chocula, some Cocoa Puffs and some had Captain Crunch and all of them mixed it with Nido for breakfast.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Jello Instant pudding was my standard evening post hike sugar buzz. Lots of varieties.

OvaEasy powdered eggs aren’t bad. $11.95 for the equivalent of 12 eggs at REI, so not exactly cheap.

I experimented with making my own FBC meals. I found dried eggs and cheese were tasty but hard to clean off the spoon. I ended with mostly vegan FBC meals, but I'm vegetarian anyway so not a big deal.

One of my favorite backpacking breakfasts is 3/4 cup of granola and 3 tablespoons of powdered milk. I've used the store brand powdered milk with no issues. Once on trail, I just add water enough to cover and a quick mix. Easy peasy.

When I want eggs, I've used Mountain House meals but that isn't too often.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Freeze dried eggs for me. Easy cleanup.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I think the freeze dried eggs are pretty good, esp. if they have something extra in them - like sausage. Never cared much for the powdered eggs or the cleanup they require. My usual breakfast now is just granola out of the bag, and a coffee/instant breakfast mocha.

Powdered eggs can be used in freezer bag cooking to avoid a cleanup mess.

Images

Try freeze dried eggs rehydrated/warm, then wrap them in a tortilla and gently fry in butter in a small skillet. Add salsa. Wow. Our favorite "splurge" breakfast, when we feel like carrying the 6 ounces of skillet and a bit of butter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I cannot even imagine mixing the Cheerios and Nido and then pouring water into my Cheerios. ( The Lone Ranger never did that )

RangerZ
    Put cereal into bowl, sprinkle Nido on top and then pour water over and then mix. That's how the Lone Ranger and Tonto did it.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Put cereal into bowl, sprinkle Nido on top and then pour water over and then mix. That's how the Lone Ranger and Tonto did it.
    Those guys used sasparilla, kimosabe. Just sayin'...

NO to powdered eggs. Yes to powdered milk. I just buy eggs as I get to stores along the trail and cook them up fresh.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Miracle Man View Post
    Those guys used sasparilla, kimosabe. Just sayin'...
    That would work for me also...but.....Iv'e been known to speak with forked tounge when it comes to edibles

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I cannot even imagine mixing the Cheerios and Nido and then pouring water into my CheeriosRangerZ
    Don't see why not? You pour milk on your Cheerios... this way saves a step in the process. It's what I do when I want milk on my granola on trail, but I usually just eat it out of the bag dry.

To each his own!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Don't see why not? You pour milk on your Cheerios... this way saves a step in the process. It's what I do when I want milk on my granola on trail, but I usually just eat it out of the bag dry.

To each his own!
    I don’t see how it saves a step, just rearranges the sequence. If you put water in your bowl, then add Nido to make milk, followed by Cheerios, it’s the same number of steps, just in a different order.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++