WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Don't see why not? You pour milk on your Cheerios... this way saves a step in the process. It's what I do when I want milk on my granola on trail, but I usually just eat it out of the bag dry.

To each his own!
    That’s pretty much what all the packaged backpacking granolas are; some powdered milk and granola. Perfectly delicious.

Images

I dump some powdered milk into my morning oatmeal, helps the flavor and adds calories.

1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill europeen muesli with two heapin' tablespoons of Nido. Add about 5oz hot water, stir and wait 2 minutes. Can add raisins or craisins as desired. Makes a big breakfast that really sticks for a while.

I used to eat 2 packets of Quaker instant oats and was hungry again 20 minutes later.

When I eat eggs, they're freeze dried. Powder doesn't work for me.

My breakfast for my Grand Canyon hike last April was oatmeal (traditional, not qiuck/instant) with powdered buttermilk (from King Arthur), maple suagr, salt, cinnamon. Pretty good. The buttermilk as a bit sour, but i had it the pantry and didn't want to buy a big jug of Nido just for a few tablespoons (our store only has family size containers). The other trick is i dont cook the oatmeal, but just add boiling water. Cooked oatmeal just turns into glue in my pot, and instant is just evil tasting. But old fashioned oats wit boiling water has a nice consistency and easy to clean.

One of my go to breakfasts on the trail is Nido with Captain Crunch. Good calories and almost as good as eating it with whole milk.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Nido doesnt keep that well, in my experience is that it may not spoil but the taste gets "off" in the long term. Coffee creamer seems to last forever, I dont drink coffee and I think my creamer may be 20 years old.

I actually use Nido or Klim at home, because if I buy fresh milk, it inevitably goes bad before I remember to use it, unless I'm buying it specifically for a recipe where I'm using it up immediately. I hear Peak brand is even better, but it's quite a but more expensive. I just got a canister of Nido from Amazon, and I mix it up a cup at a time, and mainly use it for my two cups of coffee a day, but I mix it up double strength to help me use it up faster and make my coffee even creamier.

Quote Originally Posted by maremieisen View Post
    I actually use Nido or Klim at home, because if I buy fresh milk, it inevitably goes bad before I remember to use it, unless I'm buying it specifically for a recipe where I'm using it up immediately. I hear Peak brand is even better, but it's quite a but more expensive. I just got a canister of Nido from Amazon, and I mix it up a cup at a time, and mainly use it for my two cups of coffee a day, but I mix it up double strength to help me use it up faster and make my coffee even creamier.
    I keep it on hand all the time too. Goes great in protein shakes and I don't have to worry about spoiling milk in the fridge (I don't use much milk otherwise).

Or just take a dozen store bought fresh eggs and hump the weight. They last me 3 weeks out in the field if not broken or cracked. On one trip I took 18 eggs---heavy yes but delicious. You can add a single egg to hot oatmeal or soups and therefore don't need a fry pan. And the weight drops day by day of course.

TRIP 148 075-XL.jpg

You can also hard boil a couple eggs and mix them with vegan mayonnaise for egg salad---something I crave when out on a trip.

4956801032.jpg
    I put this in a plastic jar and add it to all my dinner soups as a garnish---and unlike real mayo it lasts for weeks on a trip---at least it does for me.

Trip 202 (264)-XL.jpg
    Mayo on left, peanut butter on right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Or just take a dozen store bought fresh eggs and hump the weight. They last me 3 weeks out in the field if not broken or cracked. On one trip I took 18 eggs---heavy yes but delicious. You can add a single egg to hot oatmeal or soups and therefore don't need a fry pan. And the weight drops day by day of course.

TRIP 148 075-XL.jpg

You can also hard boil a couple eggs and mix them with vegan mayonnaise for egg salad---something I crave when out on a trip.

4956801032.jpg
    I put this in a plastic jar and add it to all my dinner soups as a garnish---and unlike real mayo it lasts for weeks on a trip---at least it does for me.

Trip 202 (264)-XL.jpg
    Mayo on left, peanut butter on right.
    All of that is easier to justify when your pack -already- weighs 100 pounds and you spend most of your time parked on the same piece of land for three weeks.

We used dehydrated whole eggs from Amazon, makes very good scrambled eggs. We add dehydrated bacon, hamburger, dehydrated cheddar cheese for a savory high protein breakfast.

Trying to avoid the high carb/sugar diet insulin rollercoaster trap that most hikers fall into, with bad downstream consequences--Yeah you can do that when your 20, but after 50 you're asking for it.

Reviving the dead...

OvaEasy dehydrated egg crystals (Amazon)
    Quaker instant cheese grits (everywhere in the South)
    Trailtopia sausage crumbles (Amazon)
    Kate Naturals powdered heavy cream (Amazon)
    Its Just! butter powder (Amazon)

Delish trail breakfast. I would guess you could add water to the OvaEasy eggs and scramble them separately if you wanted just eggs or the consistency of them. I'm too lazy for all that (plus, no pan to clean) and this concoction works wonderfully for me. Note: keep the sausage by itself b/c you'll want to rehydrate that first b/c it takes longer. I soak mine for about 10 mins, add all the other stuff, add a little more water, stir, and let it sit another 5-7 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++