WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Current insect activity and annoyances

A few days ago on a hot day after a heavy shower I was hiking and noticed spider activity became very annoying. I have always found the problem of walking through spider webs to be sudden and strange.

Also, how bad are your current experiences of mosquitos, gnats, no-see-ums, black flies, horse flies and deer flies?

Around here, unless I’m hiking a trail that’s already been hiked that day (unlikely), I can pretty much count on walking through spiderwebs every 15-30 seconds. Sometimes I opt for long sleeves even in furnace temps because of this but sometimes I just wave my poles in front. I’ve had one bad bite.

Flying insects are at peak annoyance right now but after years of not using any sort of repellent I’ve been using Picardin recently and it’s greatly improved the quality of my summer hikes.

I assume the spider activity proliferates when the conditions are hot and wet; especially if you had hot dry weather with showers and thunderstorms, it seems the spiders suddenly throw out their web material then; or someone could enlighten me how that happens.

My favorite thing is starting to hike at the crack of dawn but the main down fall is clearing spider webs. Sometimes you see them in time to stop and sometimes I wave my poles in front when they seem likely. My permethrin is working great for everything else but you always get those dive bombing gnats in your eyes/ears/nose ect
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I'm taller than my hiking friends so I end up eating lots of spiderwebs. Even if they get the lower ones I clear whatever is left and the ones higher up. I too, try to wave my poles in front of me.

My last trip was so warm and muggy the bug spray would sweat off in 1/2 a hour and the gnats would be back diving into my eyes and buzzing around my ears. Despite the heat the only respite I could find was when I put the headnet on which also took care of most of the spiderwebs.

I have to say it does feel like there are more insects, especially spiders and their webs in the forests than I recall in previous years, but I think I say that every year. Point of fact remains, in July, summer insects are, for the most part, going to be at their peak in terms of population and activity which includes Kamikaze deer flies buzzing around heads and spiders spinning webs all specifically designed to annoy me. And they have.

With climate change elevating temperatures and effectively extending the hot months of the year, insects have some bonus time for their mischief. Typically September starts the cool down that slows down insects, but given the warming trend it's difficult to predict. We need some cool nights (50 or below) but one would be hard pressed to guess when those will occur and conversely if there will be a warm up following that which aids in new insect populations. Best one can do is presume biting insects will be an issue through most of September and bring DEET or other repellant, wide brim hat and head net or head scarf for protection. It's a good bet by October insects should be gone if not sooner if cool weather gets in.

Lowlands and swampy areas tend to encourage annoying pests to proliferate. I've found Vermont in the Champlain Valley to be tough especially in the June and July. The 100 mile wilderness in the valleys was the worst in my experience especially during wetter years. I never use deet or other pesticide, I have tried the essential oils; bugs seem to be turned off a little by garlic and similar strong odors.

As lazylightning said, I too like to start at dawn, but I put up with the webs until I meet a hiker going the opposite direction. We congratulate each other for both of us clearing the trail.

In mid/late June through Pennsylvania, you have to deal with thousands of little green inch worm hanging from the trees. And they’re always at head height!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Images

One of the main reasons I avoid summer hiking. I also work outside so the last thing I want to do is bugs and sweat. Usually Around September the bugs and most hikers are gone.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    One of the main reasons I avoid summer hiking. I also work outside so the last thing I want to do is bugs and sweat. Usually Around September the bugs and most hikers are gone.
    Agreed, I'm content to do my hiking in the cooler/cold months. Besides, summer is for catching waves at the beach!

Spider webs can be annoying throughout the warm months, but they peak in August and early September, at least in Georgia. By that point in the season, the young have matured, the population has proliferated, and there are webs everywhere. Many years ago, a friend dubbed them "squnches." In our family, there term stuck. August is the worst month for squnches. I always get a face full of them. But it's just part of being in the woods, and it's always worth it to be in the woods.

I find them delicious for the most part.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

I wear glasses and can't stand getting spider webs all over the lenses. I made a very light headnet out of tulle mesh and use that in the early hours to keep webs off my face. It is very breathable and will even keep most flying pests out of your ears, eyes, and mouth.

Spider website are called cobwebs because the old English word for spider is coppe. Turns out that cobwebs are only produced by the ridiidae and the money spider (cobweb spiders. )
    All others should be known as spider webs.

Images

4 weeks ago I was given a small bottle of "Vanilla" fragrance body spray brand name Body Fantasies sold by Walmart. It was given to me by the campground hosts where I was camping. As I set up my tent I was bombarded by gnats galore. I discussed the situation with the hosts and they said they discovered a sure soloution to keeping them at bay. As I walked towards my campsite I sprayed some of the product onto my shoulders and hair (not my skin) .....the gnats had disappeared from the immediate area.....AMAZING stuff. I highly recommend it.

Images

I like to pretend I'm Gulliver having all those tiny tie down ropes pulled up with all the spidery Lilliputians’ in toe. Unless one is timing the journey, then it must be cut loose.

++ New Posts ++