WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vermont Pico Camp Shelter heads up

From a Long Trail FB page that I'm a member of I read a warning of a man named "Salt" who arrived late last night, made lots of noise and reportedly started signing "burn Pico burn, everybody burn". The 4 hikers there left after he started signing that and reported it to the authorities. I normally wouldn't pass along this type of warning but I've now read about this type of bad experience at Pico camp due to "Salt" several times now in this FB group and just wanted to make sure the whiteblaze community had the heads up as well. Stay safe all!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Signing you mean spray painting?

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Signing you mean spray painting?
    typo, sorry meant: singing

Sounds like a new way to "clear out" a shelter in order to have it all to yourself.

That's when the 4 hikers should've started singing " go ahead and try there's 4 against 1 and we'll rip you apart " " la la la la la !

Wish it were that simple. It’s not when you are on the mountain with a mentally ill individual and fearful for your safety.

Like many states there is no good support system for mentally challenged folks. VT like many states basically closed any institutions and send folks out on their own. Unless they get violent, not much the police can do who are expected to be the first responders (and have no specific training). At best they will intervene and then drop the individual somewhere but they will be back on the street soon. The OP did the best thing, just head on down the trail. Its a bummer as Pico Cabin is definitely quite the funky little shelter but not worth getting into a confrontation.

Yeah why bother with it, just keep letting the bad guy win .

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Like many states there is no good support system for mentally challenged folks. VT like many states basically closed any institutions and send folks out on their own. Unless they get violent, not much the police can do who are expected to be the first responders (and have no specific training). At best they will intervene and then drop the individual somewhere but they will be back on the street soon. The OP did the best thing, just head on down the trail. Its a bummer as Pico Cabin is definitely quite the funky little shelter but not worth getting into a confrontation.
    I agree 100% with all this. I just don't think that everyone that acts stupid has a real mental problem. I think there are just mean people, thugs,bully,A-holes that get off on scaring people.
    And I'm just tired of seeing the bad guys do bad things and just let out again to repeat.

Images

I agree 100% with all this. I just don't think that everyone that acts stupid has a real mental problem. I think there are just mean people, thugs,bully,A-holes that get off on scaring people.
    And I'm just tired of seeing the bad guys do bad things and just let out again to repeat.
    I think your trail name could be Mister Inbetween...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rich View Post

LOL, thank you I'll take it . And I kinda look like that dude with bald head and mustache. And most unfortunate the good guy has to anger management and the bad guys just move to the next victim!

If you want to explore your response to potentially dangerous people, de Becker’s ‘the gift of fear’ is an interesting read. Some of his methods would likely be helpful when dealing with the rare stressful person interaction on the trail, although what he mainly emphasizes is trusting your gut, and moving on when doubtful. I ran into an eccentric hiker in the NE on a thru hike, at a rather remote shelter a half mile off trail. He was clearly not a thruhiker and seemed most likely just a bit odd in his comments. Since I was otherwise alone I just decided to move on, even though I thought the risk was probably fairly low.

If you dig a little deeper, it looks like this guy Salt is in trouble with the law several times, to include burning a Vermont camp to the ground. I saw that bit of info on the GMC/Long Trail Facebook page. Just hoping he gets tended to.

https://nyvtmedia.com/2020/07/08/pou...ed-with-arson/

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/5211...springs-update

This one has more detail and no firewall

I missed him last year because I stayed at the Inn and then hike straight up to Pico summit via ski trail by accident. Totally bypassed the shelter.

Sad that he's been out there scaring people for so long and no one has used any authority they might have to protect the hikers just wanting to enjoy the trail.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Oddly enough, if you google his name you find that the owner of the property he is accused of burning appears to be related.

Journal Entries

This is becoming more commonplace at shelters. There's another one at the Wildcat shelter in NY that threatens, plays loud music at night and generally makes a rukis.

They announced yesterday that Pico Shelter is temporarily closed until the guy is moved out by the authorities. Guess enough people complaining about the inaction is finally making them do something about it.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    They announced yesterday that Pico Shelter is temporarily closed until the guy is moved out by the authorities. Guess enough people complaining about the inaction is finally making them do something about it.
    Yup I think you are right . . here's the post by the Green Mountain Club on the Long Trail Facebook page:

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)]Be Advised: The Green Mountain Club is closing Pico Camp until unauthorized occupancy of the shelter can be resolved by local authorities. This is a matter of public safety and hikers should find an alternate overnight site or accommodation.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=var(--primary-text)]We appreciate the concern and patience of the hiking community as we work to resolve this matter.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=var(--primary-text)]Alternative Overnight Suggestions:[/COLOR]

• [COLOR=var(--primary-text)]Churchill Scott Shelter or Tucker Johnson Shelter on the Long Trail North[/COLOR]
    • [COLOR=var(--primary-text)]Cooper Lodge or Governor Clement Shelter on the Long Trail South [/COLOR]
    • [COLOR=var(--primary-text)]The Inn at the Long Trail on U.S. Route 4[/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)]More information on this and other trail updates: https://www.greenmountainclub.org/hiking/trail-updates/[/COLOR]
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++