WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Nemo Hornet 1p tent initial review and a question

My son and I used the Nemo Hornet 1p backpacking in the northeast this past month and I've been impressed. I really love my usual 1 person tent the Tarptent Notch (since I'm carrying hiking poles anyway) but this tent weighs less (even with having to carry Y-shaped tent poles) and it would be easier than my Tarptent Notch setting up on a tent platform. So once my son goes off to school, I may reach for this guy on my next trip. My son used it mostly but a couple of nights I was able to test it out.

My only question is about the odd "unique Divvy dual-stage stuff sack to further lighten your pack". How does it lighten your pack exactly? It seems to weigh more than a usual stuff sack and I fail to see how being able to cinch the sack in the middle saves you any weight. In a youtube video of a Nemo employee stuffing the tent in this stuff sack he rolls up everything and makes no mention of the "dual-stage" feature - so I'm kind of at a loss.

It surprises me a little that a company would build a tent that is so light and then add a stuff sack with bells and whistles that adds weight over a normal stuff sack. I'm likely missing something! So if anyone has any ideas let me know please! Or if anyone else has more experience with the Nemo Hornet and wants to add anything to this post - go for it. : )
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

From Nemo website:

“…..our Divvy Cube™ rectangular stuff sack that nests more efficiently in your pack and allows you to split the weight with a partner……”

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    From Nemo website:

“…..our Divvy Cube™ rectangular stuff sack that nests more efficiently in your pack and allows you to split the weight with a partner……”
    Yes I read that but I don't see how you can split the weight with a partner. 1) Because its a 1p tent. 2) There is no obvious way that I can see that it splits into 2. Maybe there is a hidden way to separate though. I also don't understand why it "nests more efficiently" - there are a lot of things I don't understand about this stuff sack apparently lol. I may call Nemo this week and see if I can get the official word!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Yes I read that but I don't see how you can split the weight with a partner. 1) Because its a 1p tent. 2) There is no obvious way that I can see that it splits into 2. Maybe there is a hidden way to separate though. I also don't understand why it "nests more efficiently" - there are a lot of things I don't understand about this stuff sack apparently lol. I may call Nemo this week and see if I can get the official word!
    Their website says the same thing for the one person, and two person model. Maybe they wrote the wording for the two person model and didn’t correct the wording for the one person model, and maybe you only get the “Divvy” sack with the two person model.

Their website says the same thing for the one person, and two person model. Maybe they wrote the wording for the two person model and didn’t correct the wording for the one person model, and maybe you only get the “Divvy” sack with the two person model.
    That sounds possible . . this stuff sack is a mystery! Otherwise a great tent so far for me.

I have the 2P and couldn’t see what they meant either. But like the tent.

Images

With my Hornet 1p's (I had the original in 2016 and currently the Elite going from 2019) IU ditched the Nemo stuff bags, and use a single tarp Tent stuff sac and stake bag. Lighter and simpler. It is a 1P after all, so no - Nemo's stuff sacks make zero sense.

I think this explains the Divvy sack.
    55659B03-02D7-4D7F-8141-CA715DF305B1.jpeg

Images

I think this explains the Divvy sack.
    55659B03-02D7-4D7F-8141-CA715DF305B1.jpeg
    Splitting the load with a 1P tent? Silly.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    Splitting the load with a 1P tent? Silly.
    Maybe they mean you can split things up, and store them differently in your pack. Compressed tent, and poles store separately, or everything stored together.

Maybe they mean you can split things up, and store them differently in your pack. Compressed tent, and poles store separately, or everything stored together.
    I called Nemo customer service and asked because I was too curious. Basically, gpburdelljr's guess is their answer. The stuff sack doesn't separate into 2 stuff sacks they just added an extra cinch in the middle of the stuff sack so you could just put the fly or just the tent body in the stuff sack and then store the rest separately in your backpack.

Seems silly to me but whatever mystery solved.

++ New Posts ++