WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Front Royal parking

I'm looking to hike the Shenandoah section, Rockfish Gap to Front Royal, at the end of August. I'm looking at all the resources but wouldn't mind some first hand insights into where to leave my car in Front Royal and who to use as a shuttle from Front Royal to Rockfish Gap. It looks like a I could maybe stay at Mountain Home the night before and leave my car there. Lots of shuttle options. Anyone have any insight or suggestions for this section? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMartin View Post
    I'm looking to hike the Shenandoah section, Rockfish Gap to Front Royal, at the end of August. I'm looking at all the resources but wouldn't mind some first hand insights into where to leave my car in Front Royal and who to use as a shuttle from Front Royal to Rockfish Gap. It looks like a I could maybe stay at Mountain Home the night before and leave my car there. Lots of shuttle options. Anyone have any insight or suggestions for this section? Thanks
    Go to the WhiteBlaze home page and use the provided links to download pdfs that contain the information that you are looking for.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Go to the WhiteBlaze home page and use the provided links to download pdfs that contain the information that you are looking for.
    Thank you, yes, I've done that. As I said, I was looking for insight from anyone who has done that section.

Just did that section again in June. Parked my car at Mountain Home and stayed there night before and after completing. Very clean, professional, and good breakfast (with options). Run by a thru hiker and his wife. She texted me a list of Front Royal shuttlers. First on list was not available, but got second which was AT HoF Tom Johnson's daughter. Have a geat hike.

Mountian Home is the way to go in FR
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Very helpful. Going with Mountain Home. Thanks all!

I did that section also in August (at least to Luray until a hurricane hit). Just keep an eye on the water reports. My second day in, I had a 13 mile water carry and the temps were in the low 90's. Having "ring rust" (no hiker fitness) made that a brutal day. Also, keep note of the hours of the way sides. I was swamped with a couple days of rain and wanted to dry out. I went to Big Meadows hoping to do laundry and dry out. Much to my chagrin, laundry closed at 6, the wayside closed at 6 and was a mile walk from Big Meadows. I ended up having to do the hiker hang all around my room and used the iron to try to dry my socks. More importantly, I was completely dejected that my reality didn't even approach my expectations and reasons for grabbing a room. It is a pretty park. Enjoy your hike.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Thanks for this. Yes, I'm hoping the water situation improves until then. As with any hiking plan, it could all change.

++ New Posts ++