WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default my sleeping pad system, needs improvement

On a recent 1 nighter on AT,

I slept on the REI Air-Rail :
    ON TOP OF
    A Therma Z Lite Sol.

https://www.rei.com/product/148191/r...g-sleeping-pad
    https://www.rei.com/product/171690/t...l-sleeping-pad

My bag is a Sierra Designs: https://www.rei.com/product/896280/s...s-sleeping-bag

2 issues id like to improve:

1. I was constantly "falling off". What can I add to the system so both pads and sleeping bag stay together? Do they sell any straps or something?
    2. The Air Rail was a bit stiff. Wondering if I just get a 2nd Z-Lite Sol instead? But how to pack 2 of those??

Thank you.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Did you add air to the Air Rail, or just let it self-inflate?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Did you add air to the Air Rail, or just let it self-inflate?
    Good question!. I added air. Is that too much?

I would like to recommend an Exped Pad....Great pads
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by tombolino View Post
    Good question!. I added air. Is that too much?
    It might be the first change to test, and it won't cost you anything. I find that a self-inflating pad is firm enough on it's own, without blowing it up too stiff. I let it self-fill, give it a puff to be sure it's fully expanded, then let the excess air out before I close the valve. Same goes for air mattresses - if you blow them up too firm, you're like a cork on the water, bobbing around all night.

Softer might be all you need - worth a shot.

First question is why are you using a ccf pad under a 3.3 r-value rated pad during the summer? I'd leave the ccf at home for starters. Unnecessary weight and bulk. Save it for late Fall and Winter for added insulation.

Without personally giving your setup a try, I see your air pad is 25" wide and the ccf is 20" wide. That creates a ledge on the sides that is conducive to rolling off of.

I'd never bring 2 ccf's. The bulk! I'd experiment with finding the proper inflation on the air pad alone. If you can't get it to work, find a different air pad. Whether it's a different design or wider, there's gotta be something out there. My money is still on that ledge though.
    It is what it is.

Images

I stayed with my original thermarest 3/4 length for about 30 years, then I got tired of sore heels, so a few years ago I upgraded to a slightly thicker but still relatively standard full length thermarest. I also carry a piece of my original blue foam pad, circa '85, as a sit pad now for shelter floors and midday breaks, and I stick it under my hip area to keep my pointy hips from bottoming out. Works really well in a shelter or hard ground.

My original 3/4 has been a trooper, it's never leaked.

Thanks all.

I used both pads as an experiment, hadnt done that before. Since it was 1 nighter, no biggie on weight.
    The Air Rail guards are supposed to help you not fall off. But I think I needed to secure the bag to the pad somehow bc the air rail was not staying put.

Short of putting a pad inside the sleeping bag, how could I secure pad to bag? Are there any strap gizmos or something?

Quote Originally Posted by tombolino View Post
    Thanks all.

I used both pads as an experiment, hadnt done that before. Since it was 1 nighter, no biggie on weight.
    The Air Rail guards are supposed to help you not fall off. But I think I needed to secure the bag to the pad somehow bc the air rail was not staying put.

Short of putting a pad inside the sleeping bag, how could I secure pad to bag? Are there any strap gizmos or something?
    From experience, I know that the body learns to not roll off the pad while sleeping. You could practice sleeping on your pad right back home.

++ New Posts ++