WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Electrolytes / gatorade

Hi folks,

in 2012 when I was on the AT I would buy Gatorade packed in pouches, 8 per can at Walmart. Each pouch was sized for 20 oz water.

In recent years, I have had no luck finding these, but came across a source I thought I’d share:
    powdermixdirect.com has decent prices and will even send mixed cases.

cheers,
    Glogg

You could try NUUN in tablet form. 10 per tube and use 16 oz. of water

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I simply buy the large cans of drink mix and make my own "single use" drink mix packets using snack bags and an impulse sealer. Allows me to make the size I want with little wasted space. You have to be a little more careful since the snack bag isn't as protective as the commercial packets, but I've not had any problems with them.

Gatorade and similar products are a waste of $ IMO. They are very poor at replacing electrolytes as they are primarily SUGAR and some sodium. I use caplets to replace potassium and magnesium primarily. Sodium is easy enough to get if you are eating packaged foods. I prepare my own meals so I need to remember to replace sodium. I carry salt to add to my meals and carry sodium caplets as well.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    Gatorade and similar products are a waste of $ IMO. They are very poor at replacing electrolytes as they are primarily SUGAR and some sodium. I use caplets to replace potassium and magnesium primarily. Sodium is easy enough to get if you are eating packaged foods. I prepare my own meals so I need to remember to replace sodium. I carry salt to add to my meals and carry sodium caplets as well.
    I agree - I stopped using gatorade years ago, both for hiking and for running. I don't feel a need to supplement electrolytes other than consuming salty snacks while hiking. On long runs over 13-14 miles, I use energy gels every 45 minutes to an hour, lately using the Honey Stinger energy gels which are mainly honey and have no gross artificial additives. I run all summer in hot/humid conditions and have never had any issues with this approach.

I do have issues with post hike legs cramps both winter and summer and Nuun is about the only thing that keeps me from cramping up post hike. Salty snacks may be fine for some folks but rarely any potassium in snacks. Oral rehydration salts are fairly cheap and come in individual packages. I used Gatoraid powder for a lot of my section hikes and day hikes but found that there was too much sugar and as the day wore on I drank less.

Switched from Gatorade to Propel to get the electrolytes without the sugar.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    I've been in a situation that had me flopping like a fish after a day out on a hike with bad cramps in both legs.. I also got some kind of tear on one of my abductors. I don't go out without any electrolytes any more. NUUN has more than just salt if you look it up and read the ingredients. Oh, and it fizzes.

1/2 tsp of fine sea salt and 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar, in a liter of water. Sodium and potassium without any sugar or artificial ingredients. I take magnesium in pill form.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Switched from Gatorade to Propel to get the electrolytes without the sugar.
    propel basically gives you sodium. nearly zero potassium. no magnesium. no other electrolytes though some vitamins are provided. I would "argue" the B vitamins it provides are actually useless as the B vitamins don't survive heat treatments (ie cooking) but maybe the B vitamins are the "post heat" amounts.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    I've been in a situation that had me flopping like a fish after a day out on a hike with bad cramps in both legs.. I also got some kind of tear on one of my abductors. I don't go out without any electrolytes any more. NUUN has more than just salt if you look it up and read the ingredients. Oh, and it fizzes.
    while it does have some electrolytes, it's minimal for the daily requirements of potassium and magnesium. This is why I prefer to use potassium and magnesium supplements that pack a larger punch.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    1/2 tsp of fine sea salt and 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar, in a liter of water. Sodium and potassium without any sugar or artificial ingredients. I take magnesium in pill form.
    Wow! I didn't know cream of tartar had so much potassium! 1/5 of the DRA of potassium in 1 tsp. I don't know if I could "drink" enough of it in a day to compensate for not having it in my food but that's a very interesting source.

Registered User Phoenixfyrebird's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    That is pretty impressive, and super helpful. Do you taste the cream of tartar at all? Or do you add anything else to prevent this?

I have found hydration packets like 'DripDrop' to be a lifesaver for my sweaty sweaty self. I can never get enough water without feeling like I'm drowning myself just waking up let alone throughout the day!

Any Lowe's
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatorade-Ga...0PK/5001922003
    Always at the lumber check out

This product used to be used at commercial operations where workers worked in very hot conditions. It looks like its now marketed for individual use https://www.amazon.com/Sqwincher-Zer...jaz10cnVl&th=1

I've been using Orange or Tangerine flavored Emergen-C packets for years for electrolytes, including potassium with the bonus of getting a few vitamins and anti-oxidants. Started using them on the PCT years ago. You can buy them online at usual suspects like Amazon, and I often see them in most drug stores around where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixfyrebird View Post
    That is pretty impressive, and super helpful. Do you taste the cream of tartar at all? Or do you add anything else to prevent this?

I have found hydration packets like 'DripDrop' to be a lifesaver for my sweaty sweaty self. I can never get enough water without feeling like I'm drowning myself just waking up let alone throughout the day!
    When I am home, I usually add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, but that is not something I carry on trail. I certainly do not claim that it tastes good, but to me getting the sodium and potassium without any other junk is the point. One gets used to it.

You can still buy Gatorade powder in canisters, and portion it out into individual baggies. I actually prefer Pocari Sweat, from Japan, but it's much more expensive to buy, even if you buy the 10 L packets and portion it out.

If you want to make your own rehydration drink, Morton Lite Salt is sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium silicate, magnesium carbonate, dextrose, and potassium iodide. If you use that in place of regular salt, you'll get a better balance of minerals. Add some citric acid (or lemon or lime powder) and sugar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++