WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First time in New Hampshire Whites since 2014...

Perfect weather here, but still getting over the long drive yesterday, COVID/Dad bod, and more than a bit of lack of confidence (PTSD?).

Looking for suggestions, and might be able to provide aid to other hikers if I am in the area.

If you want to know why I am less than confident, feel free to read below.

--"42" (2011-14)

When in NH in 2012-14 I:

1) Barely finished a section including Mt. Smart because of postholing.

2) Slipped and slided down the less steep part of Moosilauke because it was covered with water running over about an inch of ice.

3) Had to bail out near Mt Lafayette because of the worst hailstorm I have ever encountered.

4) Hit monorail snow near Ethan Pond and needed to bail after a cold night in the shelter.

5) When returning months later, tore my hamstring on a bog bridge there, limped 7 miles to my car.
    '
    6) Missed hiker shuttle down from Mt. Washington after hiking from Pinkham, requiring costly stay at Lake of the Crowds and a harrowing hike/semi-controlled fall down Tuckerman's.

7) Horrified by southbound descent of Wildcat near dark and with storms in the distance -- these were my last couple miles on the AT.

8) The night prior, fell (yard sale style) in the middle of the night when needing to take care of some business...

9) Washed off trail near Carlo Col by 6+ inches of rain (was not going to attempt Mahoosic in that, given the time I had).

10) Is that really a trail near the ME border, or a wish?
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Are you looking for dayhikes, overnights ro multiday hikes?. Where do you plan to be based out of?. Camping or hotel?. Do you have transportation?. Are you an early riser?.

The AMC White Mountain Guide is hard to beat, its had all the trails and compete set of maps. Do not depend on online free crap like All Trails. Not sure about the latest edition but prior editions of the MWG had recomended hikes in the back. There is a lot more usage on the trails of late compared to 2012

Ideally you want to do the big bucket list hikes during the week starting very early preferably leave the trailhead before 7 AM. Breakfast options are not great as the shortage of labor is hitting a lot of the places that serve breakfast.

BTW, if you are accident prone NH Fish and Game sells a Hike Safe card, if you do need to be rescued, the card covers the fee, otherwise you may get to pay for the rescue.

Thanks for the suggestions. It was the reading about your rescue incident before posting that immediately caused me to lose my confidence today! I wasn't particularly accident prone during my 2000+ miles, just in NH... I've actually done 2000 miles or so (mostly in Spain) since then without incident. But the Hike Safe card is a great idea, since NH is..."special"...

Based out of Attitash for the week, so I might pick up that AMC guide at Highlands or Pinkham. Still have my AT guide/maps from 2012ish. Looking more at day hikes until Saturday checkout, but may do an overnighter for Saturday night.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

++ New Posts ++