WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hiking shoes

Default Hiking shoes

I’ve been using Merrell All Out Blaze for all my hikes (excluding winter) for many years. The open style ventilation works perfectly for quick drying after stream crossings, while the mesh upper keeps most debris out, in contrast to closed toed sandals. Now they’ve discontinued the model, and I can’t find a suitable replacement. My needs include wide fit and exceptional ventilation. Can someone advise? Any experience with Altra Lone Peak Hikers? Thanks

Shoes are as unique as the feet that go into them. It is frustrating to find a shoe that meets your needs, only to be discontinued. However, new models allow for updated materials and advancements but still fight the problem of matching individual, unique feet of the purchaser. Bottom Line, imho, is that you have to go to an actual outfitter and try on different shoes to find what works for you. Personal experience - I always hike in Merrill’s and started my Thru Hike in them. Hot Springs switched to alone Peaks and like them but they weren’t durable for very long. In Waynesboro Va., I tried to go back to the Merrill’s but the outfitter had me try a pair of Solomon’s. They were awesome and I replaced them in Kent Ct. and tried again in Rangeley Maine, but ended up with Obos. The Obos where ok when I got home for awhile, but tried Hoka’s, Merrills and finally purchased the Lone Peak Olympus because of the hype, wide toe space and the Vibrum sole that I always found very durable. However, after wearing out the one pair, I went back and purchased the Solomon’s, and love everything about them again. Honestly, try on as many as you can and make a decision on what feels great and matches your feet! Don’t know of an outfitter in FL, but can recommend outdoor 76 in Franklin Tn as well as the one in. Waynesboro Va.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Scour the internet for the discontinued shoes.
    Places like Discount Shoe Warehouse, etc. The world is full of closeout stores.
    I had the same problem. I managed to find two more pairs.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Scour the internet for the discontinued shoes.
    Places like Designer Shoe Warehouse, etc. The world is full of closeout stores.
    I had the same problem. I managed to find two more pairs.
    Wayne
    Correction!
    Designer Shoe Warehouse. Online and Brick & Mortar.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Altras have worked very very well for me, I have had several pairs of Superiors and Lone Peaks. The wide toe box and zero drop add features I really like. My feet never hurt even after big days!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Altras have worked very very well for me, I have had several pairs of Superiors and Lone Peaks. The wide toe box and zero drop add features I really like. My feet never hurt even after big days!
    Same here and super grippy!!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Same here and super grippy!!
    Which just goes to show how difficult shoes can be! I have a pair of Altra Timps, and my feet were sore after a hike, and I found them super slippery!

Salomons are my go-to.

I have a pair of the olde version of the Lone Peak Hiker, they were called Lone Peak Mid RSM. Worked well and kept my feet dry as long as i wasn't hiking through deep snow or in a downpour.

I rarely do multi-day hikes anymore, just day hikes, so this year i started using Xero Shoes, the Mesa Trail model and have been very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelK7 View Post
    I have a pair of the olde version of the Lone Peak Hiker, they were called Lone Peak Mid RSM. Worked well and kept my feet dry as long as i wasn't hiking through deep snow or in a downpour.

I rarely do multi-day hikes anymore, just day hikes, so this year i started using Xero Shoes, the Mesa Trail model and have been very happy with them.
    I meant to add that when this winter rolls around i will be looking for something new for hiking in the snow.

Thanks all. Just to clarify: I may be weird in this respect, but I'm not interested in keeping my feet dry. I'm interested in keeping them ventilated, as well as drying out quickly. BTW, I looked at the Timps, and it appears to me the soles are not really designed for aggressive trail work. Altras are great shoes, but the model is important.

I like a minimalist shoe too. If whatever you have tried hasn't worked out, I like the Keen targhees. I put the link somewhere in here..

https://noahlangphotography.com/blog...ckpacking-gear

Journal Entries
    Images

Ultra's definitely run wide & light. I used them on my PCT hike. But now my go to's are Brooks Cascadias
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I tried out xerodrops but have very high arches so it was terrible. Went back to my trusty Keenes (non waterproof) and I couldn’t be happier. They are comfortable for my arches, big toe box, sturdy grip and they keep my feet dry on moderate damp spots while drying out quickly enough should they get really wet.

++ New Posts ++