WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does anyone use a wind jacket?

I'm sure it has been asked before, discussed somewhere but now my turn to take up some bandwidth. I want one, I'm eyeing a Mont-bell. Do I need it? Probably not. Of those of you that have one and use it, what is your opinion? Its subjective of course, but I will take all opinions under consideration. Thank-you
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

My Patagonia Houdini is one of my favorite pieces of gear and well worth the tiny weight. Great for wind but also as a layer for chilly mornings until warming up. It has been in my pack for every trip since 2016 and for most day hikes.

Always use a rain jacket now, Marmot Mica or Precip. Unfortunately in 2013 I hiked 4 weeks on the AT with a wind jacket, and it rained every day the first three weeks, which saturated it. Thus why always a rain jacket now.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Always use a rain jacket now, Marmot Mica or Precip. Unfortunately in 2013 I hiked 4 weeks on the AT with a wind jacket, and it rained every day the first three weeks, which saturated it. Thus why always a rain jacket now.
    Does your rain jacket get wet on the inside when you wear it? I have had a serious issue with it in the past.My current kit is the Snugpack Enhanced Patrol Poncho coupled with a wind jacket as needed but that is likely not for everybody.I have a kilt and Vertice Gaiters in that kit also.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool Since you asked for "all opinions"

You asked, I'll tell.

I always hike in warm weather, so at first I didn't think I needed any kind of cold weather gear. Then one day I arrived at the shelter high on a ridge, covered in sweat, right at sunset with a slight breeze -- and started shivering all over. Apparently, the combination of significant reductions in the temperature of my body core (because I was no longer walking) and the atmosphere caused my body to react to this chilling sensation. The only wool I had was a soaked, merino base layer; everything else was designed to keep me cool. I definitely did not want to either (1) climb into a sleeping bag while still filthy or (2) wash myself off with cold water. I finally put on my rain proof poncho, something that normally causes me to sweat as I hike. It worked -- I stopped shivering after a few minutes. Ever since, I always carry (1) a light wool hiking shirt and (2) a light nylon wind breaker. This combination allows me to stay warm even when the temperature goes down a bit more than I would prefer. It's still rare that I shiver during my summer hikes, but it does happen -- at which point I'm glad to have gear to prevent hypothermia.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Does your rain jacket get wet on the inside when you wear it? I have had a serious issue with it in the past.My current kit is the Snugpack Enhanced Patrol Poncho coupled with a wind jacket as needed but that is likely not for everybody.I have a kilt and Vertice Gaiters in that kit also.
    No, at least not like the wind jacket did.

You can refresh the durable water repellent (DWR) on most rain gear pretty easily if it is wetting out. Google DWR renewal and a host of sites pop up with products and methods for this. I have done this several times over the years with my rain jacket.

I have the Montbell. For a couple of ounces you get a highly versatile layer; for my AT thru I combined a lightweight merino shirt, a polartec alpha hoodie, and the wind jacket, which worked from 25 degrees and up while active. I have a lightweight rain jacket but only wear it when it’s cold and wet. The wind jacket is particularly good on windy ridges after leaf drop, because my inner layers were like a sieve. It also holds up in mist and showers.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    I have the Montbell. For a couple of ounces you get a highly versatile layer; for my AT thru I combined a lightweight merino shirt, a polartec alpha hoodie, and the wind jacket, which worked from 25 degrees and up while active. I have a lightweight rain jacket but only wear it when it’s cold and wet. The wind jacket is particularly good on windy ridges after leaf drop, because my inner layers were like a sieve. It also holds up in mist and showers.
    Ditto. Great couple of ounces.

I carry a rain jacket and use that as a wind barrier. May not be quite as good as a wind jacket but with an added layer of insulation I stay pretty warm at camp etc when not moving.
    If I'm moving, just the rain jacket keeps me warm enough. I mostly don't even use the rain jacket except AT camp or when hiking when it's cold/windy. I don't usually hike with my rain jacket ON.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    My Patagonia Houdini is one of my favorite pieces of gear and well worth the tiny weight. Great for wind but also as a layer for chilly mornings until warming up. It has been in my pack for every trip since 2016 and for most day hikes.
    Agree, favorite piece of Gear since my 18 Thru Hike and wear it almost daily except in heat over 85*.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Ditto. Great couple of ounces.
    Double ditto! One of the most useful pieces of clothing that I own, especially when traveling.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    I'm sure it has been asked before, discussed somewhere but now my turn to take up some bandwidth. I want one, I'm eyeing a Mont-bell. Do I need it? Probably not. Of those of you that have one and use it, what is your opinion? Its subjective of course, but I will take all opinions under consideration. Thank-you
    I have a couple of the older Mont-bell Dynamo wind parkas (with hood!) which remain my favorite. I bought two at the time, knowing of course they would discontinue them at some point.

I don't know about the level of permeability of newer Ex light wind jacket or the Tachyon parka, but the Dynamo is just right for me in many situations. Very warm with a base layer and a light fleece under it, but breathable enough that I don't sweat or overheat when it's windy and fairly cool/cold, say from 40°F down to 20°F.

However for this piece I would highly recommend a hood, which comes in damn handy when it's windy.

I went with the UL Stretch. We will see. It's 4.1oz so it should do the job. They have one that is 1.7oz but I kind of went in the middle. My wife found an Adidas, wind jacket at TJ Maxx a while back, looks like geared towards runners, but loves it. She has it with her at at all times, but I never found the men's version there. Thanks for your suggestions everybody.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Just to clarify my post on the Patagonia Houdini… I don’t rely on it as a rain layer on multi day backpacking trips. I might just take it without a rain layer on a overnight hike with a good forecast but my outdoor research helium 2 is usually in my pack as rain gear. Depending on the season, I take either my zPacks rain pants or my ULA rain kilt.

I've been using wind jackets for years (since 2008). I would not buy one that is >= 4oz as that is a little more than half the weight of my rain jacket at that point which would make me to start to question if I want to bring it when it isn't an absolute necessary item. I started with a 2.5 oz one and now have the Montbell 1.7oz one. All the ones I've owned are light enough that you don't care if it's really a necessity or not.

My wind jacket is my goto layer when I start to feel cold and the last layer I take off when I start to warmup in the morning or on a climb. It works as a thin layer and as something better to cut a cold wind better than just another clothing layer. When I stop for a break, it's convenient to put on to trap heat so I don't start to get cold as my sweat starts to evaporate when I'm no longer moving. I consider it a very versatile layer that gets used more than any other. Most are not consider rain protection (any that would qualify as even minor protection is too heavy in my mind) and won't help except in minor drizzle that doesn't last long. I pretty much always bring mine along.

Images

Old school, if it's a long hike, with good chance of rain, cold, and wind while carrying down gear. Will take a weight penalty of polyvinyl raincoat. Makes for a quicker rain door on the ultralite blue tarp tent. Or a nice addition as a quick tarp to the $1 umbrellas for relaxing breezy dry breaks on the warmer soppy days. And quick dry seat pad, amongst many many other multiple uses. Did I say many?

Rain jacket has always doubled for wind for me.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The Houdini has been a great piece of gear added to my collection for several years now. Yes, you can block wind with rain gear. But it's dramatically less breathable, and the couple of ounces has been well worth it to allow comfortable movement without the humid environment I'd get inside the rain jacket.

It is so warm right now that I'm carrying no wind jacket (and very minimal insulation as well) but when I do carry one it is the Montbell Dynamo, which of course is no longer made, although I'm supposing they have something similar with high CCF rating.

Same observations as CalebJ and Miner regarding its utility as a supplement to a rain parka. High activity in cooler weather permits what I call Thermo-HygroStasis... remaining warm without moisture building up inside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++