WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Plantar Fibroma

Default Plantar Fibroma

Anyone else have plantar fibroma in the arches of their feet? They are a large fibrous knot/nodule.

I have one on both my feet. They’ve never hurt, and I rarely notice them. But one is getting larger.

I have always hiked in zero drop trail runners. I guess I am pondering if it would be wise to preemptively switch to something with some drop.

I guess I’m just curious if there are other hikers with a fibroma on their arch, and what their experience has been?

Well, Medical advice from the internet is worth what you paid for it. I'd go find a Podiatrist for expert opinion. I've been to four over the last 30+ years. (One retired, one moved out of state, one.....and my current doctor is very good but a messed up front office). I had messed up feet from birth and then treated them terrible. Orthotics solved a lot of my issues, even as the issues moved over time. I DO have a knot of scar tissue in the arch of one foot, cause by me when I was 10 and thought playing in a flash flood in Tucson looked fun. I've had axe injuries, I've had a break while out Orienteering. All have been dealt with by Podiatrist.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

switching shoes won't necessarily help with the fibroma.

I found this: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...lantar-fibroma
    Curious as to what stretches they recommend but they don't actually say. They do mention stretching the plantar fascia but that's not really something you can stretch. You CAN stretch the calf muscles which is usually the best way to remedy foot problems in my experience. You may even find acupuncture and self myofascial release of the calf helpful/necessary before stretching. Acupuncture has been EXTREMELY helpful for me the last few years. I really wish I had tried it 30 years ago!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Thanks, yeah I had decided to just focus on stretching/rolling out my arches and foot in general, it can reduce the size of the node, sometimes significantly. Stretching my calves and hamstrings more in general is probably a good idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Thanks, yeah I had decided to just focus on stretching/rolling out my arches and foot in general, it can reduce the size of the node, sometimes significantly. Stretching my calves and hamstrings more in general is probably a good idea as well.
    Usually not an issue if you are sitting a lot when not on trail. While they may "feel sore and tight" the solution for that is usually stretching the iliopsoas as that shortens while sitting and causes the pelvis to rock forward and then the hamstrings are constantly being over stretched.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++