WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

It's not irrational fear if the snakes really are out to get you... which they are.

They're not out to 'get' anything larger than they can eat. Everything else is either defensive or a warning or territorial.

This excludes the giant boas and anacondas which can, in fact, eat very large prey. So we are on their menu.

Or maybe I've watched too many nature shows on TV.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jckesler View Post
    Or am I just a nervous nelly?

PS: Anyone having any recent issues parking in Hot Springs? I really want to still have a catalytic converter when I get done.

PPS: Whats the REAL deal with Standing Bear?? So many mixed reviews.
    Yes you are, but everyone kinda is at first, everyone has their own thing they have to face. Just think about your earlier hiking and was it a problem then? I've hiked a lot in the SE, but I will say that summertime is not when I'm most active. Never seen a snake on the trail, much less had one sitting in a sunny spot in the middle of the trail that I could step on. I really think snakes have a sense of the traffic on the trail and wouldn't do that on the AT, though perhaps on a blue blaze or one of the many offshoots that look like there might be a view over the ridge (spoiler, there rarely is a view at these on the AT, but I suppose a place like GSMNP could be different). The only time I've seen any animals on the AT was early or late when traffic is light.

Assuming you're getting shuttled, I'd ask the shuttler about Hot Springs parking. I'd presume you can park either at the hostel/hotel on the south end, or the campground office on the north end if calling them first to arrange.

Not sure about Standing Bear, often considered it, seems like there are enough good reviews that I still would.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    So piling on the irrational fears and to keep my wife happy when I go out...

I camp with a tarp and sometimes cowboy camp. Will snakes be crawling under my tarp and curling up with me at night to stay warm?
    I personally wouldn't tarp camp without a bivy. If just throwing you pad and bag on the ground, I still wouldn't think its much of an issue for anything but bugs, certainly not snakes. You can always get a hammock to go with your tarp, potential problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I've always been more concerned with ticks ,you don't even know if you have one or more on you. And they don't have to be on you long and bam you have Lyme for life or bam your allergic to meat for life!
    Ah, so my wife was bitten by a tick at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'll go with the odds and worry about it in proportion to the actual statistical threat it represents.

How many people are actually bitten each year on the AT or other hiking trails throughout the country? Very, very, very few. And collectively that's a whole poopload of hiker miles without incident that we're talking about.
    ^^THIS^^
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    It's not irrational fear if the snakes really are out to get you... which they are.
    Witty and profound, well played sir, well played.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

If they were out to "get" you there would be whole lot more snake bites.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    If they were out to "get" you there would be whole lot more snake bites.
    Dead men tell no tales.

In saw 6 or 7 rattlesnakes during my hike of the AT. And none of them were in the smokies (all in Pennsylvania). My experience was the same every time. They always see you first. They start rattling way before you get anywhere near enough to be bit. They're lazy and slow and don't really want any trouble at all. Just stay on trail as much as possible. Be aware of your surroundings when you go off trail. If you hear a rattle, just stop and look around for a few seconds until you can find where the thing actually is. Then take some nice pictures and go on with your day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    Dead men tell no tales.
    This is true, its like they have no reason to lie anymore. Or all the reason...
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I have a high level of fear for snakes prior to leaving for trips. I have canceled more than 1 trip bc of the time of year and snake activity for that year however I know that when it comes down to it, I leave snakes alone, so they will leave me alone.

However, my fear always come from the chance that trail is overgrown and I cant see where my feet are stepping.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++