WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Round 2 of the Smokies

Okay I just completed my section hike south bound from New Found Gap to Fontana as recommended. Great advice and thank you. Everything went well.
    Now I need advice from New Found Gap to Davenport Gap or Standing Bear?? Any advice?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Keep an eye on shelter status within the Smokies for closures.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

We did that section a couple of weeks ago. With Cosby Knob closed, it makes for two pretty long days of hiking (NFG-Tricorner, Tricorner-I-40). If you end at Davenport Gap, that saves you a couple of miles.

I did that same stretch in the same direction a few years ago in 2 days. It is an easier hike than Newfound to Fontana and has lots of nice views. If you have time, do take the side trail to Mt Cammerer Lookout--totally worth it.

Seatbelt, curious on your take that NFG-Fontana is harder than NFG-Davenport. More miles? Or something more than that? Thanks

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I did that same stretch in the same direction a few years ago in 2 days. It is an easier hike than Newfound to Fontana and has lots of nice views. If you have time, do take the side trail to Mt Cammerer Lookout--totally worth it.
    Seatbelt is right. But go to Mt Cammerer, whether you "have time" or not. Just go! It's only .6 off the AT, and not a climb.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Seatbelt, curious on your take that NFG-Fontana is harder than NFG-Davenport. More miles? Or something more than that? Thanks
    Newfound to Fontana has more climbing and some of the climbs are steeper than any going north from Newfound Gap. The footing is also a little tougher especially the climb to Clingmans and the 2 climbs right before Thunderhead summit[SOBO].
    Going North from Newfound Gap the climbs are more graded with the exception being the climb from Low Gap just north of Cosby Shelter.
    Just my 2 cents worth. I made the mistake of NOT taking the side trail to Mt Cammerer the first time and then going back for a day hike from Cosby Campground just to see what I has missed. LOTS of uphill in one day just for a view--but totally worth it.
    Hope you have a great hike!

++ New Posts ++