WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What is your main meal on trail and why?

Lots of suggestions, descriptions and methods of preparation for many different foods endemic to long distance hiking.
    let's keep it short here, no long in depth responses please.
    What is your staple main meal on trail and why. Not what gets feasted on in town. I'm asking the everyday most go-to, relied on and carried the most?
    Cheers

MM
    “I did it. I said I'd do it and I've done it.” ~Grandma Gatewood
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

my every day breakfast on trail is 3 scrambled eggs with some combo of veggies, salsa and breakfast sausage. I make my own. See in my signature link to my freeze dried meals!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    my every day breakfast on trail is 3 scrambled eggs with some combo of veggies, salsa and breakfast sausage.
    Eggs are just about the perfect trail food because of the protein. But I prefer mine in omelette form which is hard to prepare in camp, and eggs don't pack well anyway, so usually I get my egg fix during town stops. However, there's nothing stopping you from dropping a raw egg into a hot prepared meal.

I try to mix it up with Mountain Home, Knorr sides, PackItGourmet, instant ramen, instant potatoes, Stove Top stuffing, &c. for my hot meals so I'm not just eating cold snacks all the time.

Squeezable peanut butter is a packaging revelation. No more jars.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    Eggs are just about the perfect trail food because of the protein. But I prefer mine in omelette form which is hard to prepare in camp, and eggs don't pack well anyway, so usually I get my egg fix during town stops. However, there's nothing stopping you from dropping a raw egg into a hot prepared meal.

I try to mix it up with Mountain Home, Knorr sides, PackItGourmet, instant ramen, instant potatoes, Stove Top stuffing, &c. for my hot meals so I'm not just eating cold snacks all the time.

Squeezable peanut butter is a packaging revelation. No more jars.
    my eggs are freeze dried, as well as all the other ingredients I listed.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Packitgourmet.com , my favorite is Dotties chicken and dumplings and the Texas state fair chili. Why because it's the best I've ever had!!

Stovetop stuffing and a packet of chicken.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Thru hiking, dinner

Freeze dried if available in town stop

Instance mashed potatoes with Fritos, and some add’l fat when freeze dried not available. Multivitamin and Clif Builder Bar for dessert. Instant potatoes are just that—ready to eat as soon as water hits them with a couple of stirs. .

Images

B&M Brown Bread w/Raisins, peanut butter and Medulle dates. It's easy peasy and is delicious.

I had medul dates and pnut butter for breakfast this morning.Am running low on the B&M brown bread but that's what I had last trip out as I went without a stove.Fortunately I was able to mooch some cowboy coffee and it was awesome.

Dehydrated refried beans with some spices and Fritos. Jerky, peanut butter, cheese, pepperoni log.

Dehydrated steak or hamburger mixed with dehydrated vegetables and dried cheddar cheese. Add a tablespoon of olive oil.
    High protein, low carb, moderate fat, intense savory flavor, high satiety per calorie.

Red lentils, basmati rice, curry, salt, olive oil.

Because these are raw beans and grain that cook quickly. Also, lentils and rice (dal bhat) is what fuels Nepalese porters.

Garlic
    Images

Muesli, mixed in a bag outside the grocery store, with rolled oats, walnuts, and raisins.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Muesli, mixed in a bag outside the grocery store, with rolled oats, walnuts, and raisins.
    Muesli bought at town stops as rolled oats, dried milk and random daily mixture of available raisins, craisins, dried or dehydrated fruit, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts, and pecans (mixed with cold water).

Instant plain potatoes mixed with lots of milk and butter along with packaged gravy mix and smoked sausage.

When using long simmering stove: Zatarains red beans and rice, extra peppers, and smoked sausage.

Great question! My favorite is my home-made chilimac that I dehydrate at home. I have that quite often.
    But I probably carry most often ramen tuna noodler (ramen, olive oil, parm. cheese, tuna packet)
    Honorary mention to stuffing or couscous and chicken pouch, instant beans with instant rice, mashed potatoes and bacon
    Basically, anything I can just FBC. Looking forward to checking back on this thread later and getting more ideas.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Default Fbc

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Great question! My favorite is my home-made chilimac that I dehydrate at home. I have that quite often.
    But I probably carry most often ramen tuna noodler (ramen, olive oil, parm. cheese, tuna packet)
    Honorary mention to stuffing or couscous and chicken pouch, instant beans with instant rice, mashed potatoes and bacon
    Basically, anything I can just FBC. Looking forward to checking back on this thread later and getting more ideas.
    I'm just wondering what the acronym FBC stands for? I haven't seen that one before. Thanks!
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by The Miracle Man View Post
    I'm just wondering what the acronym FBC stands for? I haven't seen that one before. Thanks!
    Freezer Bag Cook

When hiking from town to town, my food rotation is standard Knorr Sides, Instant Mashed Potatoes, Ramen (with veggies,cashews or peanuts if available) & Dressing etc . . . .

Every now & then, I'll obtain 4 freezer bags & make the following purchase:

• Quick Oats, 42 ounce size divided up into 4 freezer bags (390 calories)
    • Carnation Breakfast Essentials Powder Drink Mix, 2 packets per bag (260 calories)
    • Instant nonfat powdered milk, about 1/4 cup in each bag (80 calories)

The 4 meals may be consumed hot or cold soaked.

This is my favorite meal for a weekend hike. I never get tired of it.
    https://andrewskurka.com/backpacking...fritos-cheese/

Default Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    When hiking from town to town, my food rotation is standard Knorr Sides, Instant Mashed Potatoes, Ramen (with veggies,cashews or peanuts if available) & Dressing etc . . . .

• Carnation Breakfast Essentials Powder Drink Mix, 2 packets per bag (260 calories)

BlueRibbon.jpg
    This post has it all, everything I had in mind with my query.
    Simplicity, ease of acquiring simple ingredients, easy prep.
    *Plus the awesome link which was the grand slam putting it right outta the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post

Recently I modified Skurka's excellent recipe to make red beans and rice, and I even carried along some Andouille sausage. When the weather gets colder one can carry some foods that might normally spoil.

I used Minute Rice (Jasmine), Santa Fe refried beans, some Harmony house dehydrated red beans, Zatarain cajun seasoning and the sausage. Crazy good. I'd eat this at home any time.

Summer_End_04.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++