WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What is your main meal on trail and why?

Lots of suggestions, descriptions and methods of preparation for many different foods endemic to long distance hiking.
    let's keep it short here, no long in depth responses please.
    What is your staple main meal on trail and why. Not what gets feasted on in town. I'm asking the everyday most go-to, relied on and carried the most?
    Cheers

MM
    “I did it. I said I'd do it and I've done it.” ~Grandma Gatewood
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

my every day breakfast on trail is 3 scrambled eggs with some combo of veggies, salsa and breakfast sausage. I make my own. See in my signature link to my freeze dried meals!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Packitgourmet.com , my favorite is Dotties chicken and dumplings and the Texas state fair chili. Why because it's the best I've ever had!!

Stovetop stuffing and a packet of chicken.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Thru hiking, dinner

Freeze dried if available in town stop

Instance mashed potatoes with Fritos, and some add’l fat when freeze dried not available. Multivitamin and Clif Builder Bar for dessert. Instant potatoes are just that—ready to eat as soon as water hits them with a couple of stirs. .

Images

B&M Brown Bread w/Raisins, peanut butter and Medulle dates. It's easy peasy and is delicious.

Dehydrated refried beans with some spices and Fritos. Jerky, peanut butter, cheese, pepperoni log.

Dehydrated steak or hamburger mixed with dehydrated vegetables and dried cheddar cheese. Add a tablespoon of olive oil.
    High protein, low carb, moderate fat, intense savory flavor, high satiety per calorie.

Red lentils, basmati rice, curry, salt, olive oil.

Because these are raw beans and grain that cook quickly. Also, lentils and rice (dal bhat) is what fuels Nepalese porters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    my every day breakfast on trail is 3 scrambled eggs with some combo of veggies, salsa and breakfast sausage.
    Eggs are just about the perfect trail food because of the protein. But I prefer mine in omelette form which is hard to prepare in camp, and eggs don't pack well anyway, so usually I get my egg fix during town stops. However, there's nothing stopping you from dropping a raw egg into a hot prepared meal.

I try to mix it up with Mountain Home, Knorr sides, PackItGourmet, instant ramen, instant potatoes, Stove Top stuffing, &c. for my hot meals so I'm not just eating cold snacks all the time.

Squeezable peanut butter is a packaging revelation. No more jars.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

Garlic
    Images

Muesli, mixed in a bag outside the grocery store, with rolled oats, walnuts, and raisins.

Great question! My favorite is my home-made chilimac that I dehydrate at home. I have that quite often.
    But I probably carry most often ramen tuna noodler (ramen, olive oil, parm. cheese, tuna packet)
    Honorary mention to stuffing or couscous and chicken pouch, instant beans with instant rice, mashed potatoes and bacon
    Basically, anything I can just FBC. Looking forward to checking back on this thread later and getting more ideas.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

For dinner, my two go-to meals have been:

1) A dehydrated refried bean (Santa Fe) and rice (Knorrs) combination, often with tortillas to make burritos.

2) Dry tortellini (trader joes if possible) with pesto seasoning packet and full fat dry milk (nido).

Both with plenty of olive oil.

When I’ve resupplied in trail towns, usually I opt for knorrs sides, instant mashed potatos, stuffing, Mac & cheese, etc.

I try to eat healthier in my day to day life and resolved to try to do better on trail in the future. But I haven’t done a trip more than an overnight in almost three years.

Lipton (now Knorr) pasta side with a handfull of mixed dehdrated veggies from a selection I carry, followed by a half of Jello Instant pudding premixed with Nido or powdered milk with coffee creamer for supper. It works for me

Breakfast, 2 oatmeals, one hot chocolate pack prepped in the same cup as the oatmeal to rinse the cup up partially, Lunch varies but someon on this hike posted long ago a mix of chewy sweet and salty. Usually jerky,fruit roll ups and gorp seems to be the standby. When backpacking the stomach really does not do much digestion or nutrient absorption except for simple sugars so while load it up?

Well my preferred main meal is typically freeze dried options with my favorites being Mountain House Beef Stroganoff or Backpacker’s Pantry Pad Thai with Chicken. I often add just a little bit less water than called for as I can always add more later.

Recently added the Knorr Power Rice Blend Burrito Bowl to my rotations. Ignored their long simmer times and practiced at home a few times for alternative cooking. Presoak with water in my cookpot, bring to a boil, then set aside in cozy for a while to finish.

As with any trail meals I like to add a bit of fresh ingredients. Garlic, ginger, onion, carrot, and if I am lucky enough a morel mushroom from the trail. And of course some soy sauce or spices. All served on a Tyvek placemat instead of eating in the dirt.

KnorrPowerRice.jpg

I went stove less on my recent LASH from HF to DWG - PB+J for dinner, usual assortment of snacks for breakfast and lunch.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by wyclif View Post
    Eggs are just about the perfect trail food because of the protein. But I prefer mine in omelette form which is hard to prepare in camp, and eggs don't pack well anyway, so usually I get my egg fix during town stops. However, there's nothing stopping you from dropping a raw egg into a hot prepared meal.

I try to mix it up with Mountain Home, Knorr sides, PackItGourmet, instant ramen, instant potatoes, Stove Top stuffing, &c. for my hot meals so I'm not just eating cold snacks all the time.

Squeezable peanut butter is a packaging revelation. No more jars.
    my eggs are freeze dried, as well as all the other ingredients I listed.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Dinner: Minute Rice and chicken.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCflIoVkAjQnyAwDKFmhRDDw

Gear Skeptic has some pretty interesting info on backpacking food. FWIW.

Mountain House primarily, but also other brands when I get a good deal. With the shelf life of freeze dried meals always looking to stock when I see a sale online.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++