WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best parts of the trail in New England for 2-3 nights with kids?

Hi! I'm completely new to the Appalachian, I'm Italian and I'd like to do a short part of the trail, 2-3 nights, with my kids (9 and 11). I'm looking for suggestions about the "best" trail sections in Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont/Connecticut. With best I mean not too difficult (the kids are quite good hikers, but...) and in which it will be easy (or not so difficult) to come back to the starting point and reach the car.
    Thanks!
    Dario

Journal Entries

In addition to the Appalachian Trail (AT) there are a great many other equally good backpacking trails within the region that interests you. Some of those intersect the AT. And, if you are flexible you may be able to develop an itinerary that makes a loop, rather than simply going "out and then back to the car" along the same route.

What does "best" mean for you? For some people that means having the most above tree line scenic views. For others "best" can mean seeing the most ponds, lakes, or scenic water falls, or simply getting out into part of the forest where one encounters few other people.

Journal Entries

ariorana--With more information about yourself, and any previous backcountry hiking with overnight stays that you and.or your kids may have had, posters here will be able to better help you.

You did not mention the type of overnight shelter you and our kids plan to use during this adventure. I've not yet backpacked in Italy, nor elsewhere in Europe. But, I've been told that when people in that part of the world take multi-day hikes, or more extended treks, they often stay overnight at mountain huts or in village inns. There are some places in New England (in contrast to the rest of the USA) where hiking can (with prior arrangement/reservations) be done between mountain huts or small town inns.

Alternatively, there are many publicly owned forests where "camping wild" with one's own tents, tarps, and /or hammocks is permitted. So, for many of us who post here on White Blaze, "backpacking" means using overnight shelter equipment that we ourselves have carried into the woods on our backs. Some people strongly prefer doing so, often spending nights sleeping away from all other campers. There are others who like to spend nights in the company of other hikers, sleeping beside them within wooden three sided shelters. Many of those shelters are located along the AT. But, circumstances can prevent a shelter from necessarily being available for use on a given night by a particular backpacker or family. Sometimes people arrive a shelter and find it already completely full, with no room for additional sleepers. Or, a hiker may find that he or she has not reached an anticipated shelter before nightfall. So, even hikers who plan to spend nights in shelters need to carry with them a rain worthy tent or tarp that they could use if by chance an AT shelter is not available.
    Last edited by Siestita; 06-19-2022 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by dariorana View Post
    Hi! I'm completely new to the Appalachian, I'm Italian and I'd like to do a short part of the trail, 2-3 nights, with my kids (9 and 11). I'm looking for suggestions about the "best" trail sections in Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont/Connecticut. With best I mean not too difficult (the kids are quite good hikers, but...) and in which it will be easy (or not so difficult) to come back to the starting point and reach the car.
    Welcome to Whiteblaze! Off the top of my head, the Grafton Notch Loop in Maine uses part of the AT and the Pemi Loop in New Hampshire uses part of the AT but those might be more challenging than you are hoping for. The Stratton Mountain and Pond area in Vermont where you could make a loop and spend some time on the AT/LT could work for you and I recommend you check it out. In Connecticut the only loop that comes to mind is the Mohawk Trail and AT loop. Hope this helps! After you hike be sure to report back how it went for you!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Thanks somers515, great advices. The Stratton Mountain looks like a good "baptism", and then if we have time, we can try with the Grafton Notch Loop too. Of course, I'll report back!

Hi Siestita, you are right, I didn't mentioned much details. I use to backpack in the Alps, sleeping mostly in free shelters like those you mention (camping outside isn't permitted there and there are no camping areas far from the villages). Here we have a low weight tent and good sleeping bags, our idea is to camp wild or use shelters, depending on the occasion. But yes, we have and would prefer to use our tent. We have no bear vaults yet, nor experience coexisting with bears, I'm documenting myself about this on the net to understand what's really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    In addition to the Appalachian Trail (AT) there are a great many other equally good backpacking trails within the region that interests you. Some of those intersect the AT. And, if you are flexible you may be able to develop an itinerary that makes a loop, rather than simply going "out and then back to the car" along the same route.

What does "best" mean for you? For some people that means having the most above tree line scenic views. For others "best" can mean seeing the most ponds, lakes, or scenic water falls, or simply getting out into part of the forest where one encounters few other people.
    About what means "best" for us, well... I was referring mostly to logistics. Everything is new here for us, so we'll be happy to discover new places.

My favorite with kids 10-15: I used to do backpacking with kids in that area. We would start on rt 8 in Cheshire next to Delmolino and Sons, hike in to Mark Nopel for the first night, lunch at the top of Greylock, and then Wilbur Clearing shelter for a second night. Lunch at Renee’s diner and then hung out at Mass Mocha until we got picked up. It was a great route.

If you can, try to camp on Bromley peak. Great sunset and sunrise views. Emergency shelter in the ski patrol hut. Privy. You do have to bring up water.

If you are up for Maine, the 100 mile Wilderness is fairly easy hiking, feels remote and is pretty well supported by various hostels and shuttles who could pull you out after a few days. There are logging roads for access. Be aware that the are private toll roads and shuttles therefore cost more.

Hello and welcome to White Blaze! I agree with comments above regarding more information about you and your children would be helpful. For example, do you all hike now? If so, how many miles do you hike at a time, what kind of terrain are you used to in terms of elevation gain/loss over a hike, are the kids able to pack their own gear (sleeping bags, clothing, etc) and are you able to carry the balance of gear needed like a stove, food supplies, water, and shelter (tent, tarp, etc)? What time of year do you want to do this and are you able to have someone pick you up or help you position a car at the far end of a one way hike or do you prefer a loop hike that brings you back to your car, or use a shuttle service? Unless you and your kids have some positive experiences in difficult terrain, I would avoid NH and ME until you run through a few lower elevation gain/loss treks under your belts.

There are many shuttle services in New England that operate along the Appalachian Trail you can arrange for pick up or drop off with depending on the time of year so you are not necessarily limited to retracing your route back to a vehicle. As Siestita points out, there are also section routes you can put together to use camping areas near places you can get meals along the way if you prefer that or would like the option.

FWIW - Not knowing what level of hiking terrain your kids will be able to do comfortably for a few days, it's difficult to make many recommendations. If they are used easy to moderate terrain the Riga Plateau starting at Lions Head in CT, crossing Bear Mountain, Sages Ravine (arguably one of the 10 best camping areas on the AT), Race Mountain, and Mount Everet with a goal of reaching the Jug End road crossing in MA is a very nice 2 - 3 day hike that offers shelter and camping areas (no open campfires unfortunately in CT), and privies, provides a moderate hike with a few challenging vertical climbs/descents along the way, great views, and a real sense of accomplishment. There several access trails down to Route 41 that runs parallel to the Riga Plateau in case you have to get off the trail due to weather or other issues.

There are easier and much more difficult sections to tackle in New England, however with a 9 and 11 year old who may not be experienced in steep difficult terrain, my experience with kids suggests starting out with an easier route so you can judge their capabilities and don't make the common mistake of selecting more difficult terrain that turns into a tearful, blister laden slog and ruins the experience for perhaps a lifetime.

For a novice hiker with kids, connecticut would be, IMHO, the best choice. Long walk along the Housatonic river, gentle rolling hills, historic covered bridges, small New England towns, easy access to and off trail; you got it all.

Images

I second the Stratton Mtn hike, specifically Stratton-Arlington Rd to Highway 11/30. It feels pretty remote and the trail is pretty easy. The kids will get the experience of climbing a "big" mountain with rewarding views from the tower. The Stratton Pond and Spruce Peak shelters are spaced to make it into a leisurely 3-day hike with 7, 8, and 3 mile days.
    It's all good in the woods.

++ New Posts ++