WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Smile backpacking with a special corrective back brace

Hi, all. It's been a number of years since I've been on the site. I hiked parts of the AT starting in 2014 having done a few sections so far. I am wanting to get back on the trail next spring. The problem is, I just got fitted with a special corrective brace for my scoliosis called a ScoliBrace. It's rather cumbersome weighing 2 lbs. It's made out of a type of composite which tends to be hot. I do wear a coolmax shirt that came with it. I am required to wear the brace from 12-16 hours. I can wear it at night so that takes of 8 hours of wear time. I have not tried hiking in Minnesota with it so far. I will try it in the next week. My question is: is there anyone in group that has this type of brace? If so, how do you manage wearing it or do you carry it on top of your pack during the day? I do not want to stop backpacking. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have no personal experience but years ago I went backpacking with someone who wore one of the old style braces while hiking. She said it wasn't that hot (or hotter than it was for the rest of us in the summer heat) as it held the frame pack away from her, allowing cool air to move through. As I recall, she wasn't having as many issues with hipbelt blisters either. But technology changes, and today's packs are much more fitted.

I suggest you try a few hikes now while it's still warm with a full pack and see if you get blisters or if it actually reduces some of the standard pack problems, increases them or a combination of both.

The old style Milwaukee braces were a lot different than the one I'm wearing. Mine is form fitting and is actually correcting my spine. It was designed by 3D technology. You are right. I will need to wear it around town with my fully loaded pack. I was thinking during the night, that if I wear it during sleep and hike with it on top of my pack during the day, I still can get my time in at camp. I'll get lots of stares though. ;-))

++ New Posts ++