WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A.T. Detour In Harriman State Park, NY

The trail has been detoured so it does not cross the Palisades Parkway. Please see this link whcih has details, and map showing the detour:

https://www.nynjtc.org/trail-alerts/AT-PIPDetour

Kind of odd, since there are other trails that cross the Palisades, and those have not been detoured.

I would assume this is why.

Appalachian Trail Hiker Killed At Palisades Parkway Road Crossing - The Trek

I've always thought it was surprising there wasn't a pedestrian footbridge at this highway crossing.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Journal Entries

It very much needed to be done. That crossing can be insane at rush hours as it is a feeder to NYC. There is/was a trail log in the middle island and some tails of near misses, isolation, marooned, and something about 'frogger' can be often found in it.

Yes I believe there are a scant few crossings left, many have been moved, but there is a big difference between the AT and the other trails that is the timing of the hikers on them in comparison to the rush hours. Also the ability to chose a route for more causal hikers vs at thru's who 'must' use the AT.

This is likely why.

You've got to be super attentive making that crossing, but fortunately there is a large median so you have to deal with only one direction at a time. Still, it is a bit unnerving because there is a hill and short line of sight in one direction. And you have to get a move on, not just leisurely saunter across.

I hope they put a pedestrian overpass there. That is an annoying re-route, although 1779 Trail is flat and gently downhill and the Timp-Torne Ridge walk has some excellent views.

I remember dreading that crossing on a southbound section. Fortunately, I got there mid-morning and saw very few cars. What a relief. Sad that someone had to die before the issue was addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I remember dreading that crossing on a southbound section. Fortunately, I got there mid-morning and saw very few cars. What a relief. Sad that someone had to die before the issue was addressed.
    Not the AT, but the spot where the Long Path crosses Rt 6 (Long Mtn Pkwy) is worse... it is 2-way and there's a blind curve to the east. I'm surprised there hasn't been an incident there.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Yes, the only times i've ever used it have been mid-morning or early afternoon, so there was very light traffic. I imagine trying to cross during rush hour would be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Not the AT, but the spot where the Long Path crosses Rt 6 (Long Mtn Pkwy) is worse... it is 2-way and there's a blind curve to the east. I'm surprised there hasn't been an incident there.
    Agreed. That crossing is horrendous. I've waited up to 30 minutes before it was clear enough to run across. Having said that, this winter someone actually stopped and let me cross when they saw me waiting.

Hopefully they find a permanent safe solution for the Palisades crossing quickly, and also do something about the LP crossing before there is another tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    I would assume this is why.

Appalachian Trail Hiker Killed At Palisades Parkway Road Crossing - The Trek

I've always thought it was surprising there wasn't a pedestrian footbridge at this highway crossing.
    Not enough money.

The original trail gives you some of the best views in NY and, on a clear day, you can see the NYC skyline from West Mountain shelter. I think they should keep both routes and those who are willing to take a little risk will use the original route and those who do not, they have the option to to take the alternate route. There are way more riskier highway crossing on the AT, highway 220 in Daleville ,VA just came to my mind.

Journal Entries

Sounds about right. I always did the crossing around there but always took the Fawn trail around to the inn. Sometimes I stopped at the bookstore.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    I think they should keep both routes and those who are willing to take a little risk will use the original route and those who do not, they have the option to to take the alternate route. There are way more riskier highway crossing on the AT, highway 220 in Daleville ,VA just came to my mind.
    I agree with this, and your post reminded me that it's just as dangerous on the other side of the park where the AT crosses 17. Two-way traffic, and even less of a view in one direction than at the Palisades crossing.

I also noticed that the woman was killed back in November, and wonder why it took them 6 months to come to the decision to detour the trail.

I think they should keep both routes and those who are willing to take a little risk will use the original route and those who do not, they have the option to to take the alternate route.
    What about the risk, and consequences, to the drivers involved in an accident at the crossings. A driver, even if completely blameless, still has to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    What about the risk, and consequences, to the drivers involved in an accident at the crossings. A driver, even if completely blameless, still has to live with it.
    If i'm not mistaken, the speed limit on the palisades is 55. Almost nobody respects the speed limit. Unless the hiker has some kind of a death wish, the chances of a car traveling within the speed limit to hit a hiker is very low. But crossing a busy road is not without risks and that's how it is.

If i'm not mistaken, the speed limit on the palisades is 55. Almost nobody respects the speed limit. Unless the hiker has some kind of a death wish, the chances of a car traveling within the speed limit to hit a hiker is very low. But crossing a busy road is not without risks and that's how it is.
    The driver of the car involved in the incident linked in post #2 was not charged, so one can only assume there was no evidence of speeding. I still believe that if you choose to cross a busy road you are risking more than your own life.

There are lot of dangerous road crossings on the AT. I just completed the HF to DWG section and many of the road crossings in PA have very limited line of sight and drivers who crested the hill at very high rates of speed.

Although nothing really compares to the adrenalin rush of crossing the Palisades on a Friday afternoon.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There are a couple of dangerous ones in PA, but Palisades stood out to me on my thru. Not enough money? Come on. Shame if this takes away the West Mountain shelter. Was the coolest shelter night.

They should keep the old route an option and not just for 'people who want to take the risk' but for anytime except rush hour where it shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you get there at rush hour or with heavy traffic you could take the detour or wait it out if you want to stay 'true to the AT' or whatever.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelK7 View Post
    I also noticed that the woman was killed back in November, and wonder why it took them 6 months to come to the decision to detour the trail.
    It probably took that long to map out a route and to create it. Any new trail work would have had to have waited until spring.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    They should keep the old route an option and not just for 'people who want to take the risk' but for anytime except rush hour where it shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you get there at rush hour or with heavy traffic you could take the detour or wait it out if you want to stay 'true to the AT' or whatever.
    There are reroutes of parts of the AT just about every year. What is ‘true to the AT’ one year is not ‘true to the AT’ another year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++