WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In any case they should keep that trail open, whatever they end up calling the AT. Being a more scenic route I think they should keep that the AT with a "bad traffic" detour, just like they have a few "bad weather" detours. Put a big sign on each side of the road warning of the danger. Anybody who has to be true to the trail at rush hour is at their own risk waiting out.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

I crossed the Palisades at morning rush hour last October on my section from NY-17 to I-90 in MA. It was an adrenaline rush, for sure - basically like crossing an interstate. I hope they keep the original AT route and build an overpass - West Mtn was the coolest part of the AT in Harriman, IMO.

The only other highway crossing I remember being even close to that crazy was PA 183 south of Port Clinton, PA, which was 4 lanes with no median and short sight lines in either direction.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Not enough money.
    Then use a cheaper solution instead, like some type of light that stops traffic occasionally to allow crossings. Works fine with a sign ahead that also lights to let traffic know when to expect a stop. They have one locally for a side road with limited sight distances.

I first did the PIP crossing when I was 10 years old (50 years ago) and thought it was insane even then. There's probably twice as much traffic on that road now as there was back then. Weekends in summertime is just as bad if not worse than rush hour traffic - Bear Mountain gets well over 2 million visitors per year, and Lake Welch & Tiorati each get 500,000+

Yeah, I thought it was nuts summer 2021. But also agree that it’s a shame that it cuts off West Mountain shelter. Such a cool place on a clear night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++