WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Weather in NC during October

what is the weather usually like during October on the NC section of AT?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peak2Peak View Post
    what is the weather usually like during October on the NC section of AT?
    Based on my experience in GSMNP...
    Fall is a dryer season. At the highest elevations, it can easily get down to around freezing.
    The national park website indicates the climate average hi/lo at Clingman's Dome is 53º/38º for the month.

I hiked the southern 352 miles from Springer Mtn to (just north of) Erwin TN during October 2020.
    IMO Weather was mostly beautiful for backpacking - cool to cold nights and days in the 50s-60's.
    I only had one night that dropped below freezing, about mid-month when I was in GSMNP. Lots of nights in the thirties.
    I had two hurricane-remnant storms go through (those Gulf hurricanes that move ENE after landfall), that brought wind and rain. Lucked out with the wettest day of the first of those landing on a planned zero at Fontana Dam. The second was right at the end of my hike, so I holed up in a shelter for most of a day, and hiked out the next morning.

Don't know if that's typical (I think 2020 may have been a busier-then-average year for Gulf hurricanes), but that was my experience.

Others have been more specific so I’ll just say, it’s prime time IMO.

Images

For sure its prime time, you can see that with all the folks that camp in Oct, especially on the weekends. I camp at Max Patch every Oct (in legal spots) and its always a little different. Shorts during the day, down jacket at night. Seems like its been more rainy in the last decade or so, and a little bit more all over the place with the weather. Oct is definitely a transition month, typically drier, more bright sunny days, less humidity, etc., going from very warm 80s at the beginning of the month to lows at freezing later in the month. I typically like to be out there about the 3rd week of the month to get the more cool, crisp autumn days, whereas earlier in the month can be as hot as summer. Almost like clockwork, the last week of the month has a way of letting you know winter is right around the corner.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

On the AT in NC/TN and VA, October has the best hiking weather, IMO. Enjoy!
    It's all good in the woods.

In October '04, I section-hiked from Allen Gap (north of Hot Springs) SOBO to Wallace Gap. Among other things, this took me all the way through the Smokies plus a good part of the Nantahalas (which I found tougher than the Smokies). Can't complain about the temperatures - warm some days but never too hot, none of the nights hit freezing or even below 40s. My problem was rain. I had some nice days but more days of rain and/or fog than sun.

https://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/83589

Max Patch will be covered with visitors if it a nice day. Lots of traffic on the trail. Lots of "leaf-peepers" out.

Khike

Hello, All, I have done all my hiking from Springers to Damascus in October section hikes. Usually the second week of October. The weather is perfect, but be prepared for some rain. My buddy and I usually did 5 to 8 days and I can't remember a hike without at least one day of rain and sometimes 2 or 3. I remember a few pouring rains with the trail a small stream. But, if you are prepared, no big deal. In the am we would start out in long pants due to cold, 32ish, but within a mile we'd stop and switch to shorts. Bob, my bud , who is a wildman, would hike shirtless most of the time. A little too cool for me. Since I became prepared after the first miserable hike in the rain with poor gear, I actually enjoy hiking in the rain. I'm a poncho man. Bob was an umbrella dude. Anyways, when the sun comes out , you appreciate it all the more. Just my 2 cents. Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    On the AT in NC/TN and VA, October has the best hiking weather, IMO. Enjoy!
    Nothing beats Fall backpacking on the AT! Those SOBO's are on to something.
    It is what it is.

I agree with the Fantastic weather from everyone.
    Be careful. Last October much of North Carolina was dry. Probably the adjacent states as well. Check the Internet for Burn Ban notifications.
    Be safe and have fun.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++