WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Foot pain after day hikes

This is the first time I've had significant foot pain. For some reason in the last year or so I've gained weight which has appeared to cause the foot issues. Yesterday I did a 6-7 mile hike in a couple hours with Nike shoes, usually I will wear boots on significant hiking for foot support. I could barely walk this morning. I've got a lot of muscle and my legs have bulked up. 6'6" and 250 pounds or so. I stopped drinking beer and cutting back on beef. Personally I believe the body mass index to be ridiculous for a lot of people. I have been drinking a lot of yerba mate (something I picked up from the twelve tribes), tulsi and other herbal teas in bulk of quality nature for a long time.

What's the best way to work off the belly fat? Sit ups and enough exercise to keep the metabolism up?

Orthotics worked for me, no foot pain since, after a brief adjusting or breaking in period.

"Yesterday I did a 6-7 mile hike in a couple hours with Nike shoes, usually I will wear boots on significant hiking for foot support. I could barely walk this morning."

A major change like that probably should be viewed as the most likely culprit, in my opinion.

I am a daily road runner and also hike in trail running shoes. I have noticed that when I hike using boots (only in winter), I often get foot pain afterwards. Pretty much the opposite of what you're describing. A change of footwear can totally change things.

Several years ago I had plantar fasciitis and suffered with it for far too long before I went to physical therapy which finally resolved the issue after several months of twice-weekly sessions and I continued to do the exercises after that. No substitute for seeing a orthopedist most likely followed by PT, in my opinion. I should have done this much sooner but I didn't want to take the time or spend the money at first until it got unbearable.

I would recommend more beer,beef and a good exercise program with ab work.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    What's the best way to work off the belly fat? Sit ups and enough exercise to keep the metabolism up?
    Alas, sit-ups won't work off belly fat. Sit-ups (or rather crunches and other forms of core work) WILL help improve & maintain your core muscles, but won't by themselves do much at all to eliminate fat around the core. As always, it comes down to the math -- creating a caloric deficit with more [safe, sensible, and appropriate] exercise and a diet of healthy foods in moderate quantity.

I speak as a fellow member of the tribe.

Over the last few years (especially after a bad knee injury in 2014), I've slowly and persistently gained weight. Then I get disgusted with myself and get myself moving again -- like a short & easy dayhike -- only to find that I have aches, pains, and strains that I never used to get on "short & easy" dayhikes. Then I feel demoralized and make it worse by "resting" more than constructively rehabilitating. It becomes worse than a gerbil wheel -- it's a death spiral.

I'm having to learn that Yes, I DO have limitations and I have to respect them -- but they aren't necessarily permanent. If I recognize them and accept them for what they are, and if I put my ego in check and take the time to build from baby steps, I WILL get back to being the person I want to be.

As for foot pain, never forget that our feet are constantly changing and dealing with a big job -- never moreso than when we've gained weight. Even a little weight, or weight that has snuck up on you, can have a surprising impact. Consider talking to your doctor about a referral to an orthopedist. May sound like a hassle, but we're hikers -- our feet are everything.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Thanks for the recommendations. Weight is the culprit. Last summer when I had a physical and was under 240 the doctor said I should cut down on carbs but I have been more on a paleo diet with some real sourdough bread. Too much sitting doesn't help even if I am walking several miles a day.

And I put my Asolos on today and the support was quickly noticed. I don't think I need orthotics.

Eat less to lose weight.

Journal Entries

At 5' 9" and 235 lbs. I may be even more overweight than you are, greenmtnboy. Sometimes I get foot pain which a podiatrist has diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. She prescribed use of a night splint while sleeping and that works wonders for me, making that pain go away. She also suggested that I always wear shoes around the house, rather than being barefoot or just wearing sandals. And, if I carry twenty-five pounds on my back very far these days with footwear that is any less supportive than medium weight boots I get blisters. Do whatever works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    This is the first time I've had significant foot pain. For some reason in the last year or so I've gained weight which has appeared to cause the foot issues. Yesterday I did a 6-7 mile hike in a couple hours with Nike shoes, usually I will wear boots on significant hiking for foot support. I could barely walk this morning. I've got a lot of muscle and my legs have bulked up. 6'6" and 250 pounds or so. I stopped drinking beer and cutting back on beef. Personally I believe the body mass index to be ridiculous for a lot of people. I have been drinking a lot of yerba mate (something I picked up from the twelve tribes), tulsi and other herbal teas in bulk of quality nature for a long time.

No and maybe. You can not "spot reduce" so situps will NOT "melt belly fat." More exercise is always good but you will only burn about 100 calories per mile walking (not backpacking folks) and maybe 300 calories in a weight training session. Your biggest issue is controlling blood glucose, which means the foods you eat. There are threads here about food choices etc so I won't get too much into it. But I am NOT saying calorie cutting but more like being choosier where you get your calories from. My husband and I both follow Wheat Belly and immediately each lost 30 lbs or so over a few months while never starving ourselves or counting calories or macros. We have a friend who was obese who dropped 100lbs in 6 months. So basically low carb, moderate protein, moderate fat (though not according to "government recommendations")
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Thanks for the advice. I would definitely second the concerns over "wheat belly" which significant consumption of beer would certainly further.

The objective should not be to "lose weight" but first to work on underlying issues. Metabolism and diet need to be examined. The weight will be addressed in time if the metabolism, diet and exercise improve overall health and the functioning of the body. Certainly, alcohol after exercise is a no-no I have done. Let the body rest as after significant exercise that should be the way to go. Resting with fluids and food that are easy on the system are paramount.

Have you ever tried the intermittent fasting? I've been doing it for awhile now. I work second shift 2-10 pm, I'll have my dinner about 6pm and won't eat again until 10 or 11 the next morning, making it about a 16 hours fasting and a 8 or 9 hours for eating.
    I've noticed a difference in energy levels and metabolism for the better.

FYI Foot pain when hiking is sometimes caused by cholesterol meds (statins). If shows up pretty quick for some folks after they start them. I and few folks I know have had major issues with statins. Many folks do not.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Have you ever tried the intermittent fasting? I've been doing it for awhile now. I work second shift 2-10 pm, I'll have my dinner about 6pm and won't eat again until 10 or 11 the next morning, making it about a 16 hours fasting and a 8 or 9 hours for eating.
    I've noticed a difference in energy levels and metabolism for the better.
    This does work, especially if you eat "right" when you do eat.

Back in December i got a permit for a 5-day, 4-night backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon starting April 29. I knew if i were to make i would need to lose weight (I was 6'0", 210 lbs) and get in better shape; and I had only 4 months to do it. So after the holidays, i got myself motivated. This is what I did:
    1. Every morning, i get up, pee, and weigh myself before I eat or drink anything. This gives a reliable weight every day.
    2. Chart the daily weigh-ins on a spreadsheet graph (below). I find having this visual feedback helps. When that graph was going down, i knew it was working. If i slipped up, i could see the graph going up.
    3. I walked for 30 min on a treadmill every night after supper. At first, it was a struggle to get up to 3.5 mph. By the end i could comfortably go 3.8 mph the whole time (and would do more than 30 min). Being able to monitor your speed on the treadmill also gives good feedback on your progress. From what I've read, I doubt there is any exercise that can target belly fat vs other fat. I have never been able to sustain other exercise regimes, but if I could, I would probably add yoga and weightlifting. But I have seen quite a bit of research that says just plain walking is the best exercise. I like to walk.
    4. Eat three meals per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Don't skip. Eat a balanced diet of real (i.e. not processed food). I'm not sure what Yerba Mate is, but I'm pretty sure it's not real food. Herbal teas are probably fine, although they probably don't do a lot of good other than they keep you from drinking things you shouldn't, like sweet beverages. I drink no sweetened beverages. I drink lots of tea (black or green, rather than herbal). Also, I don't see a problem with beer (in moderation of course - I never have more than one at a time, and then no more than a few times a week). Beer bellies are not caused by beer - they are caused by the large amounts of not-so-healthy food traditionally consumed with the beer. So we should call them pizza, BBQ, and bratwurst bellies, not beer bellies. All legit nutrition research I read comes to the same conclusion: eat a balanced diet of unprocessed food. There are no magic super foods. Supplements are promoted mostly by people trying to sell supplements. The only way I adjusted my diet was to try an cut back on carbs (so don't cut the beef) and to cut back on portion sizes. My standard breakfast is a few spoonfulls of whole milk plain yoghurt (not Greek, not skim, not sweetened), a handful of pomegranate and a handful of muesli. Lunch was a small bowl of leftovers from the fridge. For dinner I would cook something (usually a piece of meat, a green vegetable, a starchy vegetable). I subscribe to the Tufts University Nutrition Newsletter. https://www.nutritionletter.tufts.edu/ It is a great resource for science-based nutrition information. Also, as a biochemistry professor, I have a background that allows me to recognized a lot of nutritional pseudo science (and there's a lot of it).

5. This is the most important step (for me, that is, as I know my Achilles's Heel). NO SNACKS. Other than I do allow myself a dessert after supper, there is to be no eating between meals!

The result was I lost 24 lbs in the 15 weeks leading up to my hike. In the Grand Canyon, I hiked 46 miles in 5 days with just over 10,000 feet of total elevation gain and elevation loss. I had zero foot, joint, or muscle pain (frankly, I was shocked - I was sure something was going to go south). I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions, and ultimately everyone is different. What worked for me may not work for you. But this is what worked for me.

008c.JPG013DSCF2256.jpg 109DSCF2573.jpg 114DSCF2596.jpg 149DSCF2742_stitch.jpg

FWIW,I lost 50 pounds and kept it off by following the Atkins diet principles of protein,leafy greens,and cutting out carbohydrates as much as possible.Weight is about what you eat and drink,not how much you exercise.Most people over 40 could likely benefit from the use of orthodics in their shoes too.

Intermittent fasting and a low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein worked wonders for me. Literally eliminated my type 2 diabetes to the point where there is no evidence I ever had it. I suspect this will eventually be the prescription for those of us who are metabolically pre-disposed, but change is slow. https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-...2991990&sr=1-1

Images

Foot pain after a sudden increase in weight bearing activity, especially something like hiking with a pack, can easily be a stress fracture. Worth taking seriously. Ice it every few hours, rest the foot (feet), if the pain continues for more than a week or continues/gets worse at night when you're off your feet, see your doc. (I am not a doc of any sort, but have experience with these.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Registered User Phoenixfyrebird's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I actually have always wondered about this also for myself. Shoe type does matter every now and again, but I typically get in my toes and balls of my feet will basically start hurting and then go numb. I take my shoes off for a little sometimes, but it doesn't help much once the feeling has started. I've had my feet sized in four different outdoor stores, but they all come back with the same size. Boots cause this issue the worst, but I do get it with my normal every day shoes of Merrells.

I've tried inserts in my shoes, thicker socks, less thick socks, different ways of tying my boots. It will happen every time. I'm still guessing it's shoe size related, but I will be having to switch to men's shoes for bigger sizes! Any recommendations on boots to try for anyone who had this problem previously?

I know several women who use men’s shoes to get their proper sizing, especially width. So don’t let that label stop you if that’s what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixfyrebird View Post
    I actually have always wondered about this also for myself. Shoe type does matter every now and again, but I typically get in my toes and balls of my feet will basically start hurting and then go numb. I take my shoes off for a little sometimes, but it doesn't help much once the feeling has started. I've had my feet sized in four different outdoor stores, but they all come back with the same size. Boots cause this issue the worst, but I do get it with my normal every day shoes of Merrells.

I've tried inserts in my shoes, thicker socks, less thick socks, different ways of tying my boots. It will happen every time. I'm still guessing it's shoe size related, but I will be having to switch to men's shoes for bigger sizes! Any recommendations on boots to try for anyone who had this problem previously?
    I have high arches and wear a plantar fasciitis insert and a moderate lift in one shoe regularly. A pair of shoes I wear, comfortable Clark slip ons, affects one foot to where it starts going numb in the toes. It seems like my arch is pressing against the inner top of the shoe and perhaps there's a nerve there or circulation point impacted. I end up taking them off late afternoons. I've also noticed if I lace a little too tightly across the top of the arch in my sneakers that this happens but not frequently. Just a thought.

Maybe bring your issue to a podiatrist? Foot neuropathy is something you might ask about, even with a regular doctor.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++