WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Doyle Hotel Duncannon, PA

UPDATE ON DOYLE HOTEL. info received from new owner Don Failor, Sr and son Donald Failor, Jr. Phone number 717-596-0455, www.doylehotelpa.com, Facebook Doyle Hotel. currently serving breakfast lunch, dinner. Go to their facebook page to see menu. No beer or alcohol YET! Room Rates $49 shared bathroom, $89 private bathroom. Walk-in reservations 7am - 9pm. Online reservations available on website. Not accepting hikers packages.

Thanks, Mary. A friend is section-hiking and asked me about the Doyle. Told her it was upgraded since the old days.

I wonder what the hiker package refers to?

I assumed it means they don’t accept mail drops.

I recently completed the HF to DWG section and stayed at the "renovated" Doyle.

Sadly, I was a bit disappointed. First the price: Hiker rate for a twin bed with a plastic mattress cover as the only piece of furniture - $70 plus tax ($75 total) No need for a light in the room, plenty of light coming in from the street through a paper-thin window shade and hallway light coming in through the translucent transom above the door. Didn't get much sleep.

The shared bathroom was quite nice, even has a bathtub(!) but the shower never got hot and dribbled out of the shower head.

The propane wall heater didn't work in the room my hiking buddy got, (open flame behind a wire grill, a bit concerning, but hasn't burned the place down yet!) so he was upgraded to a room with a private bath and a better bed.

The restaurant was supposed to open the night we arrived, but someone set fire to the kitchen! I think it was the frier. Glad it was contained quickly; all my gear was upstairs!

Bottom line, it's a start but Dan has a long way to go to justify the cost of even the most basic of rooms.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

why did you stay then?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why did you stay then?
    1) I wanted to support the new owner and was curious about the renovations
    2) The hostel was already full
    3) I didn't want to go any farther that day.

In retrospect, it was a mistake to stay there, but then there was only one way to find out.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++