WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting picked up in SNP

I will be section hiking and will end up within Shenandoah Nat'l Park. My friends are picking me up. Is there another option to paying $35 to enter the park, pick me up and exit an hour later? Thanks

Find someone with a lifetime national park pass?. Anyone over 62 can buy one and its good for life.

Why can’t you hike back to the north entrance? It’s free to EXIT the park.
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Looking at the map there are entrances on the east side.
    US 211 enters the the park on the east side. Meet your transportation at the entrance station before the pay window.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

because we're slow, have 5 days to hike, are starting from Salt Log Gap (northbound) and won't even come close to exiting the North end. We can double back and have them pick us up at the south end but were hoping to avoid that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Looking at the map there are entrances on the east side.
    US 211 enters the the park on the east side. Meet your transportation at the entrance station before the pay window.
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    Hwy 33 also comes in from the east.

Figure out your progress.
    Exit on the essay side of the park.
    Use the map.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Figure out your progress.
    Exit on the essay side of the park.
    Use the map.
    Wayne
    OK, Thanks. The side roads are all out of our reach. I was hoping that maybe there was a day rate or something like that. We're not opposed to hitching a ride but our time frame is so limited that we don't want to use that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Righty_Lefty View Post
    because we're slow, have 5 days to hike, are starting from Salt Log Gap (northbound) and won't even come close to exiting the North end. We can double back and have them pick us up at the south end but were hoping to avoid that option.
    There are places to enter the park: Rockfish Gap at the south end, Swift Run Gap and Thornton Gap in the middle of the park, and Front Royal at the north end. US 211 (Lee Highway) meets skyline drive at Thornton Gap and US 33 meets skyline drive at swift run gap.

You can meet your ride outside the entrance station at either Swift Run or Thornton Gaps. No need to pay if you're just getting a ride. Note that you are technically supposed to pay a $15/person fee to enter the park on foot. I have never seen a ranger ask for proof of payment, but that is the technical rule. I have an annual pass for all national parks. Costs $80/year.

Journal Entries

Suggesting Rockfish Gap. There are free parking spaces as well. It is just south of the Park vehicle entrance, right off the major hwys. I have dropped and picked up from there many times.

You said you are willing to hitch. So get up an hour earlier on your last day or shorten your last day's hike. If your ride out is real early in the morning or you can't manage a hitch then $30 is worth it.

Flip your hike. Hiking north will cost $30 to enter the park (you said we) and currently $30 for your ride at the end. Instead hike south. Get your permit online. Get dropped at Rockfish Gap and hitch into the Park hopefully with someone with a park pass or someone not expecting you to share the fee. Hike south.

Get picked up on Thursday Aug. 4. This is the next no entrance fee day.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    You said you are willing to hitch. So get up an hour earlier on your last day or shorten your last day's hike. If your ride out is real early in the morning or you can't manage a hitch then $30 is worth it.

Flip your hike. Hiking north will cost $30 to enter the park (you said we) and currently $30 for your ride at the end. Instead hike south. Get your permit online. Get dropped at Rockfish Gap and hitch into the Park hopefully with someone with a park pass or someone not expecting you to share the fee. Hike south.

Get picked up on Thursday Aug. 4. This is the next no entrance fee day.
    South is an option. I think we are going to pay the $30. Our dates our fixed and limited, our tradition has been to go North, we start each section where we ended the last time and we’re slow so ending at the south entrance if we can do a few more miles is not our favorite choice. Lastly, there are 3 of us so maybe we get lucky and are able to hitch a ride but not going to hold our breath. I’ve spent more on way dumber adventures. 🤣

++ New Posts ++