WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Overnight parking in large lot near Bear Mountain Inn

I will be hiking through this area on a weekday just before Memorial Day, for a section hike of three nights. FarOut/Guthook and the State Park website list do not list overnight hiker parking near the Bear Mountain Inn, only at the 1777 lot on the west (trail south) side of Bear Mountain.

Is overnight parking at the large lot allowed or practical? I'm OK with it being a pay lot, as it would allow me to get to the start point and join my group a couple of hours later.

I would call the inn and ask them. Personally, I would be apprehensive to park in an unprotected parking lot overnight in that area. Too much traffic, too many city people especially on weekends.

I have met two section hikers over the past week or so who have (are) parked at Bear Mountain.
    One hiker was planning to leave his car there for about two weeks; I am not certain which lot he parked in, although I had assumed it was the big lot next to (~south) of Bear Mtn Inn. He said that he had a park 'police' ask him how long he intended to be hiking (how long the car would be there) and didn't flinch when he said two weeks. The other hiker I picked up for a shuttle, and he parked (intending ~3 days) at the big lot there at the Inn. The 'Toll booth' was not open (i.e. you can drive in but there is no one manning the booth collecting any fee).

It depends on when you get there whether you will have to pay to park. See 'vehicle use fee' schedule below showing the dates and times when fees ARE collected. What is not clear to me is if you leave a vehicle overnight, are you supposed to pay $10/day, or only once as you the enter the lot? (if you happen to enter when they are collecting the fee). A call to the park should be able to clarify that. Unfortunately, they don't seem to address overnight parking on the website.

"For fees not listed or to verify information, please contact the park directly." "General Information: (845) 786-2701"

Regarding parking fees, the following is from the state park website:

VEHICLE USE FEE
    $10.00 per vehicle *pool & other amenities additional

Collected:
    4/1/22-6/19/22
    Weekends & Holidays 8:00-5:00 PM

6/20/22-9/5/22
    Weekdays 8:00-4:00 PM

9/6/22-3/31/23

When I've hiked in that area I felt pretty safe leaving it by the NYS Park Police regional headquarters which are right there at that parking lot that I believe you are referring to near the Bear Mountain Inn. I also went inside and told them I was leaving my car in the lot for a couple of nights and I think I recall filling out a short form for them. Perhaps just give them a call and ask where they suggest. Let us know how it works out for you and have a great hike!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Ok, I just spoke to the Bear Mtn Park police. The police station is on the south end of the big lot, across the lot from the Inn.

YES, overnight parking is allowed for hikers.
    They generally have someone at the desk in the police station from 7am-9pm and ask that hikers take a few minutes to come in and fill out a quick form so they have information about your vehicle and planned length of time it will be there.

I would suggest parking down at that end of the lot - Park police nearby and going in and out can only be a good thing as far as safety goes.

(didn't ask about the parking fees....figured that's not their role. My guess is if you get there when the Toll Booth is open, you pay the $10, and if it's closed, you don't pay anything. I don't think you pay when you leave the lot.....)

Quote Originally Posted by justhike View Post
    Ok, I just spoke to the Bear Mtn Park police. The police station is on the south end of the big lot, across the lot from the Inn.

YES, overnight parking is allowed for hikers.
    They generally have someone at the desk in the police station from 7am-9pm and ask that hikers take a few minutes to come in and fill out a quick form so they have information about your vehicle and planned length of time it will be there.

I would suggest parking down at that end of the lot - Park police nearby and going in and out can only be a good thing as far as safety goes.

(didn't ask about the parking fees....figured that's not their role. My guess is if you get there when the Toll Booth is open, you pay the $10, and if it's closed, you don't pay anything. I don't think you pay when you leave the lot.....)
    Excellent, thank you for the info!

Thank you all! I will check in with the park.

I left my car there for three nights the weekend before last and it worked exactly as you described. Thank you!

++ New Posts ++