WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lighten the Load

Planning an AT trip through Smokies in mid June and need to lighten my load. I was looking at the average low temperatures. I'm trying to swap my sleeping bag out for a super light blanket of such. Now I'm carrying a 3 lb. 600 fill down bag. Can I get away with just a 'bag liner'? Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a bunch of money.

Garlic
    Images

Consider a 30F or 40F quilt, down if you can afford it, something in the 1 to 1.5 pound range. Personally I wouldn't head into the Appalachians without some loft in my sleeping insulation. The average temps you see may be at a park office, and it's best to plan for the extremes.

Some years ago I bought a nice enLightened Equipment down quilt for a summer trip, spent some money on it, and have never regretted it--it was the best backcountry gear purchase I've ever made.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic is correct. Quilts really do save weight but are safer in the mountains and close in weight to the bag liners. Check out a 40* Hammock Gear Econ Burrow. Good quality for the price and weight as well as very versatile for multiple seasons, including Summer when it can be opened fully and just slide on late night to keep off the chill.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

+1 on above. Plus all the temperatures you see reported, are down in the towns, in the valleys.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Garlic is correct. Quilts really do save weight but are safer in the mountains and close in weight to the bag liners. Check out a 40* Hammock Gear Econ Burrow. Good quality for the price and weight as well as very versatile for multiple seasons, including Summer when it can be opened fully and just slide on late night to keep off the chill.

This is good advice

Almost all my quilts and underquilts are HG Econs. Great value for the dollars.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I use a REI Radiant 19 degree sleeping bag. Has come in quite handy in 23 degree weather, with snow. During those nights, I actually had to open it and fan some of the body heat out of it. During the hot summer months, I use it as either a blanket, if needed, or extra padding on top of my Klymit sleeping pad.

Hammock Gear Economy, good value for the money.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The seasonal temps at the highest point in GSMNP in June is hi/lol of 60/49. But that's just average. Typical temps will be +/-10 or so with extreme unlikely weather being +/-20. So while I've experienced temperatures in the 30s at Icewater Springs shelter in July, that's not what you need to plan for. Plan for the lows to be upper 40s, and check the forecast before you leave to know if you need an extra warm layer.
    I have a 2lb 32degree bag that that I use in GSMNP unless I know I can expect temps at or below freezing.

Journal Entries

Early May of 2021 we did a loop hike utilizing a side trail from Clingman's Dome Road. When we returned to our vehicle, we saw sleet and a little bit of snow. Last year was a little unusual, but it wasn't unheard of. Without adequate insulation, we'd have been miserable.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Early May of 2021 we did a loop hike utilizing a side trail from Clingman's Dome Road. When we returned to our vehicle, we saw sleet and a little bit of snow. Last year was a little unusual, but it wasn't unheard of. Without adequate insulation, we'd have been miserable.
    And a month later, we did a loop that included THIRTY creek crossings, yes, THIRTY! By early June, the temperatures had warmed nicely so that the creek was refreshing, not numbingly cold.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here's a web page that estimates the weather forecast at elevation.
    This one is specifically for Clingman's Dome (highest point in GSMNP).
    Check it out before you head out on your trip to get a clue on how much insulation you'll likely need.
    https://www.mountain-forecast.com/pe...forecasts/2025

For AT weather, check atweather.org
    .com

Wow these are both great sites. The first gives only peaks but lots and lots of them. The second has forecasts detailed from NOAA for all AT shelters and also includes PCT prominent spots. On the PCT/JMT, the first gives the weather forecast for the top of Whitney while the second gives it at the PCT/AT trail junction.

Btw if you click on the Whiteblaze odds and ends button you can get to an AT weather button which oops doesn't seem to work,

Images

We've had frost in the Southern Appalachians in June, and pretty late in June. Often the lows are in the low 50s all summer, which is well below the point where I am happy in a bag liner. A 45F quilt need not cost a fortune. My Jacks R Better Shenandoah Quilt was under $200 and has lasted more than a decade of moderate to heavy use.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by REB View Post
    Can I get away with just a 'bag liner'? Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a bunch of money.
    No. You will see 50s, possibly high 40s in June.
    My budget choices would be the Marmot Micron 40 or 50.
    They have 650 fill, too, but are around 18 and 24 ounces, respectively.

Agree a bag liner is a bad risk/reward wager. Suggest checking out “selling used gear” thread or scope out REI used gear to see if you can pick up a bargain.

Journal Entries

I bought a Jacks R Better 40 down quilt years back and have always carried in the summer months in the smokies. They are quality and the price tag should be a little less than other brands but the quality is not lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by jorge99s View Post
    I bought a Jacks R Better 40 down quilt years back and have always carried in the summer months in the smokies. They are quality and the price tag should be a little less than other brands but the quality is not lacking.
    I recently bought a JRB Sierra Stealth quilt (40deg) and the quality is excellent. For a long time I've wanted to try the concept of the dual-purpose quilt. It has a hole in the middle for your head that converts it to a down poncho, which I think will prove useful for a lot of trips where I need the down jacket only in the morning before getting on the trail.

I would just say that possibly the worst experience you can have hiking/camping is to have an insufficiently warm sleeping system. The ratings for bags is the point at which you will be miserable (ask me how I know..). Would tend to use something warmer than you think you will need. This is from someone who has suffered and frozen on the AT more than once, and yes possibly in the Smokies in June. At least you can often make a fire in the shelters.

Images

Surplus poncho liner if you're cheap. Probably one of the best pieces of .mil gear applicable to hiking.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++