WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Planning a Short Section Hike

I am in the process of planning a short 5 day section hike and I'm looking for suggestions as to what section(s) of the trail I should consider. Miles are not necessarily a concern for me. Thanks in advance for your input.

Shenandoah National Park is always a nice hike with facilities easily reachable, but the trail is far enough away from those facilities to not have a lot of people crowding the trail. Depending on when you go it could be hot. I went through Virginia in early June and it was pretty hot then - mid to high 80's.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

That's a very generalized question to ask. Assuming you're in Greenville as listed on your profile, you're sort of uniquely situated to be 2-3 hours drive from a long section of the trail, from Springer to the VA border, with Dicks Creek Gap in Ga as the closest at still almost 2 hrs. Over that section, there is so much to choose from... weather comes into play if you're leaving anytime soon, so if that's the case, I'd do the Ga section as we're past the harder freeze time of year. Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam would have some great views. Mid to late June is a great time to be in the Roan Highlands. Going north of the Smokies and through Hot Springs would be an excellent trip. Give us some detail about your skill, timing and what you want along the way, and we'll give you more specifics on what a good section might be.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

Question Could use more information, please

planning a short 5 day section hike
    What time of year? How far are you willing to travel from your residence? Where IS your residence? Is there an aspect of The Trail you are hoping to experience -- or NOT experience? Have you done any back-country back-packing? -- there are parts of the A.T. that are glorious but are NOT recommended for beginners. Are you going 100% solo (like I do) or will you have others coming along?

In order for us to help you find what's best for you, it would help if we knew just WHAT would be best for you.

Journal Entries

I'm in Greenville, SC but willing to travel anywhere along the trail, so I'm not locked into the southern region. I'm starting the planning process really early as it won't take place until the 3rd or 4th week of April '23 as a 40th birthday getaway. I'm very experienced with respect the backpacking as are the other 2 members of my group. I'm in good shape so I'm open to what is considered to be difficult sections. I've been on too many trips to count in the Smokies and Pisgah. I've also completed a 5 day thru hike of the Foothills trail (not really impressive but just trying to paint a picture). We love the reward of great views and would love to avoid crowds if possible. Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Okay, now that I have your info

it won't take place until the 3rd or 4th week of April '23
    Well, so much for recommending upper New England.
    https://www.wcax.com/2022/04/19/heav...commute-tough/

We love the reward of great views and would love to avoid crowds if possible
    Hmm. Shenandoah has wonderful views but also large crowds. Indeed, what's an advantage for 100% newbies is likely a disadvantage for you: The Trail in SNP is never far from civilization.
    So let me instead recommend either the area around Grayson Highlands (504.2) OR around Carver's Gap (Mile 380.5). Both have nice views and fewer crowds than SNP.
    Grayson has the bonus of wild ponies being easily visible, but be aware that these animals CAN grab your food if you're careless -- they can be like bears with hoofs instead of claws!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Well, so much for recommending upper New England.
    https://www.wcax.com/2022/04/19/heav...commute-tough/

Hmm. Shenandoah has wonderful views but also large crowds. Indeed, what's an advantage for 100% newbies is likely a disadvantage for you: The Trail in SNP is never far from civilization.
    So let me instead recommend either the area around Grayson Highlands (504.2) OR around Carver's Gap (Mile 380.5). Both have nice views and fewer crowds than SNP.
    Grayson has the bonus of wild ponies being easily visible, but be aware that these animals CAN grab your food if you're careless -- they can be like bears with hoofs instead of claws!
    Thanks so much!

Images

So, the AT is a boulevard of hikers, but if you're not staying at the shelters, then you can get your fix of solace in. Since I like to hike solo, I kinda like being out there with other hikers, even though I'm often stopped to camp by myself between two trees somewhere by myself. Did that on the FHT, too, which was a lot better than staying at those large, over-used campsites. But camping with others usually means making sure you have spots with enough room. So you probably do want to avoid the high part of the thru-hiker parabola of numbers.

Still a lot of thru hikers in Ga in April, so I think your next best option is to get ahead of them. But anything at altitude is going to be cold - that's your best bet for avoiding crowds, but I'm just making a generalization with regards to what might be a good recommendation at that time of the year. How about US19 at Roan Mt, TN to Damascus (either direction). Its a lower general elevation overall than other sections to the south, but should still afford great views that time of year. And you'd be right there at the Roan balds to make a visit if weather permits. Make arrangements at the Mountain Harbour Hostel at US19.

Ga is still a good option even though you'll be on the back end of the peak, and there are some wonderful spots I can recommend for camping. Big Cedar is the best view at night in Ga in my opinion from the site at the blue blaze trail, about a half mile past the main overlook on the AT. Wolf Laurel Top or Cowrock is where I'd camp next after passing thru Mountain Crossings. Low Gap shelter has plenty of room around, but there's a nice site about 1.5m past the shelter if crowded there. I'd make it a short day and stay at Tray Mt shelter, getting there early enough to get a site along the trail to the shelter. About the time you can visually see the shelter, there will be campsites along the right that have views into the valley - another great nighttime view. Then from there, hike out at Dicks Creek Gap and go quench some thirst at Hiawassee Brew. Contact the folks at Hostel Around the Bend to make arrangements.

Lots of great options, none is really a bad one, just offering these as recommendations.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries

Thanks so much for the great recommendations. I know it’s way ahead of time but I’m a “planner” and love gathering as much info as possible as I begin the process.

Worth checking out the Virginia Triple Crown!!

I like the other suggestions. I would recommend parking your vehicle at the bears den hostel and hike north to pen Mar Park.

choices are overwhelming and that's a great thing

When I asked what a good section would be to do my first AT trip, I was told that the NOC to Clingman's dome is a good choice.
    That's a difficult first trip...but I made it, and have returned to the AT several times since then.
    If you think you'll section hike the whole trail, as I plan to, I'd suggest starting at Amicalola and hiking north. Depending on your physical condition, there are several different places to finish.
    Having a guide book like AWOLs AT guide is a good idea (photocopy the pages you need so you don't have to carry the whole book) and also download the FarOut (guthook) ap - the AP is free, but you have to pay for the maps. Great resources that show where shelters, campsites, water, elevation, etc are along the way.

Journal Entries

Thanks you sir! Appreciate the input.

Journal Entries

If I decided to start at Roan Mtn (19E) and go to Damascus, how hard would it be to get a shuttle back to my truck at Mountain Harbor Hostel?

Being in a vibrant trail town with lots of highways is the ideal place to look for a shuttle. You'll have lots of options, beginning with Mount Rogers Outfitters downtown, and can relax in a restaurant with unlimited glasses of ice tea until your shuttle arrives.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jorge99s View Post
    If I decided to start at Roan Mtn (19E) and go to Damascus, how hard would it be to get a shuttle back to my truck at Mountain Harbor Hostel?
    Simplest thing is to park at Mtn Harbour, and have them take you to Roan Mountain (it can be hard to find parking at Roan Mtn anyway) or wherever you want to start.
    Give them a call at 423-772-9494

If you're planning to do the whole trail, April is a great time to do some miles in the middle of the trail (VA-WV-MD-PA-NJ-NY). Those areas won't be crowded.
    We did Pennsylvania is three separate trips, all in April.

There's a shuttle list on the home page here on WB. Look for it on the upper left. It's an indispensable tool for section hikers.

Journal Entries

Thanks so much!

I'm planning Wayah (115) to spring this year

also did:
    - newfound gap 207.7 to hot springs 274.9
    - laurel creek, va 584.9 to damascus 470.4
    - Pa 16 1069.2 to harper's ferry 1026

those were approx 5 to 7 day hikes...you could adjust the start points and shave off a day or two to adjust for a 5 day section hike; I enjoyed all of these; they all start at towns to, which I park at, shuttle to my drop off, and hike back to car at the town...the towns make it easy logistically. I use the heat map to try to plan to avoid the bubble, and have found it helpful. https://www.wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/

Have fun!

MJ

++ New Posts ++